Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/08 21:33:53 (permalink)

I copied this from the Fishing Reports page

I agree with both of these opinions that were well written on the Fishing Reports page.

What about you?

Water Conditions: N/A
Posted By: "LTMEDICANGLER"
9/8/2011 7:41:31 PM Report ID: 26021

Report: I would like to 2nd the voice of "the_swing". I am an avid sportsman and I have children and grandchildren of my own. My father taught me the practice of ethical fishing and I have taught my family the same. I hope that this is past down from generation to generation. If we want to keep "our" fisheries , we all need to practice some catch and release. I take a camera and preserve my catch via photo. I know that some are fishing to eat. I too have been hungry. If you need fish that badly, than by all means take them and eat them. Lots of other anglers fish for the sport of fishing. Use a camera and preserve our right of passage for generations to come. Good luck to all in this upcoming season.

Date Fished: 9/8/11
Water Conditions: almost there
Posted By: "the_swing"
9/8/2011 4:08:02 PM Report ID: 26020

Report: With so much great fishing to come, and hardly any reports posted about steelhead fishing, i must include my personal opinion to the others that follow this site. We all know that the last few years of tributary fishing has been decent, but not like we have seen it in the past. All i want to add here is that more anglers should practice catch and release. people having 2 strung fish all the time, while catching more and replacing them on the stringer is outrageous, and frankly insulting to most anglers. I will keep a fish from time to time and have no problem with this.( they are decent eating. ) But this is for the anglers that keep everything everytime they go. We dont go fishing because we are starving, we go for the hunt. remember your first time catching a steelhead? as fisherman, we are conservationists. lets keep this tradition rich and plentiful for years to come. throw one back more often than keeping it! Tight Lines!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

60 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 21:38:09 (permalink)
    I think its a bunch of Uppity BullShlt

i catch and release... because i want to
    people keep fish because they want to

i do think that swapping a fish off a stringer is wrong and should be illegal

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 21:50:03 (permalink)
    I think the one point that was being made was the fact that anglers fishing with 2 fish roped and catching the 3rd and releasing it and then a 4th and 5th and so on without roping the 3rd fish is selfish.

However that is their right to do so. I dont believe there is such law stating you catch 3 fish and rope them your done. They catch 2 and rope em and keep catching more and releasing them. Its their option to do so. That may be selfish in some minds. I may not like it either but if they want to stay and fish then thats what their going to do.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 21:56:51 (permalink)
    People keep all these fish, yet you read all the time about these 20-30-40 fish days. How many fish do you need to catch? There are plenty of fish for the keeper and the releaser. I would be more worried about the MILLIONS of Perch that are kept, than the Steelhead that they will re-stock EVERY year.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:18:42 (permalink)
    Agree with split shot. Good point

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:25:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deetz4352

I think the one point that was being made was the fact that anglers fishing with 2 fish roped and catching the 3rd and releasing it and then a 4th and 5th and so on without roping the 3rd fish is selfish.

However that is their right to do so. I dont believe there is such law stating you catch 3 fish and rope them your done. They catch 2 and rope em and keep catching more and releasing them. Its their option to do so. That may be selfish in some minds. I may not like it either but if they want to stay and fish then thats what their going to do.

Not sure about that.

I think you can rope 3 and still continue to fish.

But if you accidentaly kill one releasing it you would be in violation...

Watched a fella on 20 Mile do it half a dozen times last year. He never killed the 4th fish though.
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/09/08 22:26:27

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:27:11 (permalink)
    "i do think that swapping a fish off a stringer is wrong and should be illegal"

Culling fish IS illegal, with the excepetion of organized Bass tournaments.
    That said, in over 20 years on the tribs ( 3-5 days a week at one time ) I have not ONCE, EVER witnessed anyone cull fish. I really doubt it's a major issue.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:29:41 (permalink)
    If you stock them they will come

**** the fish
    Save the bimbos

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:41:16 (permalink)

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 22:41:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

ORIGINAL: deetz4352

Not sure about that.

I think you can rope 3 and still continue to fish.

But if you accidentaly kill one releasing it you would be in violation...

Watched a fella on 20 Mile do it half a dozen times last year. He never killed the 4th fish though.

If that may be then I stand corrected but I have seen it either way with 2 or 3 fish roped.

I say rope your 3 and go home , cause thats why you roped em in the first place , for food. Now that you got them take a hike. JMO

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/08 23:25:16 (permalink)
    If you make a 2-3 hour drive, and catch three in the first hour or so you aren't going to want to leave either.  I only get up once or twice a year, so telling me i have to leave after three fish is bull crap.  As long as the person isn't killing fish he is putting back its not a big deal.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 00:49:49 (permalink)
    I don't understand what the difference is in C&Ring fish after fish all day or  keeping two on a stringer and continuing to C&R  til you're ready to roll out, then stringin' up the last of day

the only difference is, one angler has two tethered while rippin' lips and one don't

..l.T.A.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 07:22:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: genieman77

I don't understand what the difference is in C&Ring fish after fish all day or  keeping two on a stringer and continuing to C&R  til you're ready to roll out, then stringin' up the last of day

the only difference is, one angler has two tethered while rippin' lips and one don't

..l.T.A.

This.

Within the limits of the law (in this case being 'once you rope him, gut hook him, or fail to get him right back into the water healthy in any way...he's yours')...within the limits of the law, I don't care how anyone fishes, nor would I appreciate them trying to tell me how to fish.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 08:00:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker
    That said, in over 20 years on the tribs ( 3-5 days a week at one time ) I have not ONCE, EVER witnessed anyone cull fish. I really doubt it's a major issue.

thats what this thread was about

"...while catching more and replacing them on the stringer is outrageous..."

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 08:15:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: genieman77

..l.T.A.

This.

Within the limits of the law (in this case being 'once you rope him, gut hook him, or fail to get him right back into the water healthy in any way...he's yours')...within the limits of the law, I don't care how anyone fishes, nor would I appreciate them trying to tell me how to fish.

yea, I can dig it
    But I reckon that applies to the C&R duuds too.
    In this warm water , and many duuds over playing fish, then  add a pic or two as the da boyz hi-five their troutgawdness ... more than a few are  swimming away sideways ..in essence , they're the walking dEd ..BUT..the fish swam away

I'd be pretty tough for any fishcOp to put the pinch on anyone .
    regardless whether  the batter had two strikes on him or not

..L.T.A.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 08:56:55 (permalink)
    There is nothing wrong with keeping fish if that is what you choose to do.  Pennsylvania stocks enough steelhead that even in these "off years", (which is complete nonsense in of itself) there has been plenty of fish to be found.  Even with people roping them I was able to find concentrations of fish every time I went up last year so I can't believe that keeping fish is attributing that heavily to a decline in numbers.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 09:13:21 (permalink)
    I have witnessed people taking three fish to their vehicle, then returning for more. I have also called the WCO's and turned these violators in. The officers actually responded twice, and to my knowledge, they cited three "fishermen" for possessing over the limit. The violators were not "Russians", and I don't think that they were starving. One of the groups had New York plates, a father with 4 teen agers. They were actually keeping foul hooked fish from Walnut during a pretty heavy run of fish. I hope that they paid dearly for this. Make the call, turn them in if you see obvious violations.

Fishmonger
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 09:14:00 (permalink)
    Back in the early 90's i got hemmed up. I had 3 on a stringer and kept fishing. My 4th fish swallowed the hook and didnt make it. Crick pRicK sited me and cost me $35. He couldnt get me for over the limit. He got me for culling fish. Even tho I Never swapped a fish off my stringer.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3471
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 09:31:03 (permalink)
      tHAT AINT nothin', back in the 70's I gotz 3 fines at wonce from a fish fuzz up there.
    NevEr did send 'em any dough though.

crappy
    Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 10:13:02 (permalink)
    http://pfbc.state.pa.us/pfbc_webgis/WWCWStockingDetails_historical.aspx

selek eerie selek rainbuwtrut - slimhed

3 year avarage retun on matur slimhed

Numbers only go up every year get a grip people do your homework its public information if you aint catchin your sitting at the bridge at walnuts watching the manchester hole saying this sux there aint no fish  
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 10:26:23 (permalink)
    Somedays I'm strickly C&R while other days I want to take a few fish home to can. If I decide to keep a few fish I will gill and ice two of them and continue fishing while practicing C&R until I'm ready to leave for the day. On occasion I find myself having released my third fish and only leave with two, but that's OK. I personally don't like to rope the third one and keep fishing, even though it's legal because I might be tempted to keep that fourth one if I hook it bad. Just my way of fishing.

Just my nickles worth.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    munster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 10:42:27 (permalink)
    Sure the numbers weren't there last year like in the past, but that just meant you had to actually fish for em. I didn't have a problem catching fish, and it helped me when guys can't walk up to the hole and see 100 fish...they would just move on.

Now if I'm keeping anything for myself or a family member I only keep the first two chrome ones that I catch. I never put a third one on until either I'm ready to be done, or I/they actually want three. I won't keep a fish just to keep it.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 10:50:52 (permalink)
    +1 wally cat. I'll usually take my first 2 decent fish back to the cooler. And only keep one more that day. I don't like to fish w 3 on a stringer.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 10:59:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

If you stock them they will come

**** the fish
    Save the bimbos

Best thing I read in here so far....I agree with KJH too...both upitty BS responses. The reasoning for the off years, in these folks' minds, is obviously skewed. If you have seasons with milder winter, snow, temps and fewer ice-ups; you have better fishing results period.

IMO, C&R is becoming more and more an extremist mentality and it sickens me to be quite honest. Those of you who know me, know I have practiced C&R primarily in muskie fishing and advocate C&R...but NOT totally...good management is about happy mediums and not extremism. Each individual species, geographic location and methods of management is dependant on whether or not C&R is or is not applicable/effective. In the case of the Erie tributaries, C&R will not play much of a role at all in regards to fish numbers or size. I keep some steel, just ones I plan on eating fresh or smoke...most I release simply because I don't want to carry them around. Spoiled attitudes have been developed through fishing these waters and when years arrise when a fishing challenge comes to hand, spoiled brats bich.

By the way, neither one of those is a report, and have little business being out there on the reports page IMO....One of the reasons I no longer read or contribute to the "Reports" comic section.

post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/09 11:28:10

munster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 11:07:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Spoiled attitudes have been developed through fishing these waters and when years arrise when a fishing challenge comes to hand, spoiled brats bich.

Agree x1298712937123
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 11:21:29 (permalink)
    i make it up about 3 times a year for steelies and there are always fish to catch.  i keep the fish i catch because that is food for me and my family.  i do like the idea of only keeping 2 on the stringer just incase one gets hooked deep.  i will make my 3 trips this year and try to keep a limit each time.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 11:22:47 (permalink)
    We still either need this thread or a new one to discuss natural reproduction in the tribs, and then the fifth and final sign of the prophecy will be in place to trigger 'The Run'.
    WVTROUT
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 11:26:05 (permalink)
    I would like to start out by saying that I made my first trip to Lake Erie about 2 yrs ago. Since then I have returned for both the fall and spring seasons. I have heard that in the past, the Steelhead were stacked up everywhere. From what i have seen im my time up there, the fish are not stacked , but there is still a good amount as fair game. I do tend to keep fish, 3 being the limit, on any particular day. I have put several thousands of dollars into the economy by myself as well as all those fishing buddys' that i bring up. If i want to keep 3 fish, then i believe there is no problem with it. The fish are stocked, not native!! So with this being said, i fish all day long and walk out with my 3!! I have never had any issues catching steelhead up in the tribs, call it luck or skill, it doesnt matter to me. Keep the lines tight and the reels screamin!! Im sure you will see me with three on my stringer!!
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: I copied this from the Fishing Reports page 2011/09/09 11:46:16 (permalink)
    "...opinions that were well written on the Fishing Reports page."

I was under the impression that fishing reports belonged on the REPORTS page.  If someone wishes to to preach about their moral philosophy,  there is a place for that - namely  the FORUMS!  So it was a BS report through and through and I do not agree with it at all!

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    wtf 2011/09/09 12:15:30 (permalink)
    The steel head guys are a bunch of cry babies. Blah, blah, blah......
    I never hear any walleye or perch guys **** like this.
    Those stupid trout don't even reproduce in the wild. They are all stocked.
    Hows that saying go "shut up and fish"
    post edited by eyedreamn - 2011/09/09 12:18:07
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: