Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/08 20:22:32 (permalink)

Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

the act of culling fish already on a stringer is absolutely absurd nothing pi**es me of like so called anglers taking advantage of a loop hole like that....... also when the so called catch and release fisherman hooks a fish so deep that its bleeding through the gills and they turn around and let go WTF!!!! keep it for chr**t sake or at least give it away to someone who will eat it.....
i've seen this so many times it's ridiculous no wonder fish mortality is so high on the tribs...
that being said the amount of people keeping their limit every time out is also a big addition to the mortality rate.
so why not have a two fish limit seems it could only help the population of steelhead
i would also agree to the use of barbless hooks only
and while i'm at it why not outlaw trebble hooks any one with me on this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

42 Replies Related Threads

Eriefisherman69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 20:24:26 (permalink)

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 20:32:07 (permalink)
    I know it's beating a dead horse i just need to vent my frustrations sometimes
    i wish there was something we could do about it maybe get a petition and march infront of the wco office at walnut lol i have no idea how to change it but it needs changing
    The Outdoors addict
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 20:38:43 (permalink)
    Here's an idea, get fishermen to actually report those who are snagging with trebles, there is a beginning. Steelhead are more fragile than one would think. Hence why they are stocked so heavily. (Also why Salmon are no longer stocked.) Once they spawn, they are twice as likely to die. It is a straining process on the body of a a fish along with weather conditions, stress, etc. On the matter of catch n release letting half dead go, I am totally with you. If not on the creek, they could take it to a local fish cleaner and in the worst case it goes to feed the needy. It is early in the year and the fishing hasn't even started yet so some of us get that itch when we get a chance to start getting that 1st limit. Some are more aggressive than others, some NEED to feed their families, some are just doing it because they love it. Either way, man....there are still plenty of fish in the sea so to speak and almost none will actually go to waste percentage wise. Hey, let's have a great season and enjoy the heavy run we SHOULD get this fall. If you see something wrong, report it. I'm pretty sure it says in the book that if you mortally wound a fish you are suppose to keep it. So there ya go. Other than that, good luck out there.

Best fishes to you and yours!!
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 20:51:42 (permalink)
    guess so
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 20:57:57 (permalink)
    woo kares dUUd/

tHey aR juSSt duM feSH
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 21:09:09 (permalink)
    nice btw what ever happened to young guru i miss all the trouble he used to cause
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 21:30:36 (permalink)
    I dont think PA stocks enough fish. I believe PA should double the amount of steelhead they stock.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 21:40:23 (permalink)
    God help us all! Ropem & Smokem!! (prefer yellow rope)! Maybe the Steelhead, will go the way of the Blue Pike!
    post edited by Split Shot - 2011/09/09 19:56:54

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 21:54:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: swinger

I dont think PA stocks enough fish. I believe PA should double the amount of steelhead they stock.

lmao

they should stock snakehead to eat the lampreys
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/08 22:15:37 (permalink)
    Seeing only 20 fish in a hole means they are almost extinct
    People that can't catch fish complain about there not being any fish left

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 01:01:53 (permalink)
    that being said the amount of people keeping their limit every time out is also a big addition to the mortality rate.

indeed.
    it's safe to assume the mortality rate of any steelie hauled up the bank on a rope is close to zero ...

..L.T.A.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 07:49:48 (permalink)

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:07:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ><>er man

the act of culling fish already on a stringer is absolutely absurd nothing pi**es me of like so called anglers taking advantage of a loop hole like that....... also when the so called catch and release fisherman hooks a fish so deep that its bleeding through the gills and they turn around and let go WTF!!!! keep it for chr**t sake or at least give it away to someone who will eat it.....
    i've seen this so many times it's ridiculous no wonder fish mortality is so high on the tribs...
    so why not have a two fish limit seems it could only help the population of steelhead
    i would also agree to the use of barbless hooks only
    and while i'm at it why not outlaw trebble hooks any one with me on this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why does this "pi$$" you off so much? And I disagree that people taking their limit is a "big" addition to the mortality rate. First, I rarely see a high percentage of fishermen on the streams carrying out all 3 of their limit, keep in mind, I said a high percentage. The limit is accounted for in percentage returns, so the state knows exactly how many fish to replace (ball park) wise, which is FAR too many anyhow.

Beating the dead horse is EXACTLY right as someone posted above, but some people need constant reminding that this is an UN-NATURAL, PUT-AND-TAKE system. If you would like to make efforts to make fish grow larger, let them go as a personal choice. But DO NOT razz a guy for keeping his/her alotted limit of fish. Especially after investing money in gas, food, lodging, gear, etc. As long as the fish kept are put to good use and the limits are achieved legally and or not abused. And as for the matter of bigger fish, odds are pretty good that you'll land a citation or trophy fish in the Erie tribs, especially with the hords that are dumped in year after year. The C&R deal is not doing much of anything IMO....I seriously think that if the state would stock less fish, there would be less competion for food which in turn would be a MORE effective method of ensuring bigger fish.

Beat Away Boys!

SimmsFlyGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:23:58 (permalink)
    "so deep that its bleeding through the gills and they turn around and let go WTF!"

Did you let that fish go that you are gill raping in your avatar?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9828
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:28:55 (permalink)
    Good read ShutUpNFish & agree with most. The last portion, about competition, I am unsure of (not a biologist though). With most of their growth happening in the lake, which steelhead make up a pretty small percentage of the preditors, I doubt they would be much if any bigger with less of them. Take away a lot of walleye, smallmouth, lake trout, musky, drum, ect. and dropping the amount stocked (unless drastically slashed), would likely add to the size (at least noticable). Just my opinion.

Can't wait to make a few trips this year to fill my smoker. Don't anyone worry, it has been a while since I have kept more than 1 steelhead in a trip. Then again, it has been a while since I have caught more than 1, and I have a smoker now...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:41:07 (permalink)
    I see your point pork. But in most situations regarding populations/overpopulations, I think you tend to see healthier/bigger game in smaller heards, schools or numbers. IMHO, I think Erie is overpopulated with mutts. Just another thought or observation.

Let me know how the fish turns out in your new smoker! We can also share some good recipes when the time comes. Good luck.

><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:47:17 (permalink)
    nope if my fingers are in the gills i keep them
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 08:49:36 (permalink)
    The Erie Strain(Mutts) is what I believe keeps the size down. These dumb feesh eat mostly smelt in the lake and the majority of the time besides the lakers and BURBOTZ they are they only predatory fish in those icy cold waters and there are plenty of smeltz out there, eyes are usually found in a little warmer h2o except when a blow makes em get there noses in the mud. This is a put and take fishery thats why they stock sooooo many fish. PA anglers are pretty much spoiled babies in the streams with the ridiculous numbers of feesh there are. Just wait til the double digit browns show in the streams if you think you see snaggin now.

P.S. There just dumb feesh!

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 09:19:22 (permalink)
    I know most of you arent fans of treble hooks on lures to fish for steel. I want you to try it sometime and than, with an honest face, come back and tell me how easy it was!
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 09:26:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ><>er man

btw what ever happened to young guru i miss all the trouble he used to cause

Oh...he's still here.

Hope this helps...
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 10:52:55 (permalink)
    + 10
    ORIGINAL: Eriefisherman69

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 15:00:17 (permalink)
    King,

Don't know how accurate it is. But a NY fish biologist told me that their diet in the lake is mostly spiny water fleas.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 15:17:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

woo kares dUUd/

tHey aR juSSt duM feSH

+1
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 15:30:41 (permalink)
    they can't lower the steelhead limit this year, i plan on using three rods!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

CKM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 15:50:30 (permalink)
    Spoon,
    Spiny water fleas make up most of the diet numerically, but forage fish (smelt and emerald shiners) make up the bulk of their diet by weight (99%), and thus are the most important prey from a bioenergetic standpoint.  See the full report below.

From: http://www.fws.gov/midwest/fisheries/31-AnalysisofthedietofsteelheadtroutinLakeErie/Analysis_of_steelhead_trout_diet_in_Lake_Erie.pdf

.......steelhead are generalists, feeding on a wide array of both fish and invertebrate species that varied from area to area and throughout the summer. At least seven identified 7 fish species and ten invertebrate species were found in steelhead stomachs. The species composition also indicates that steelhead feed throughout the water column. ......The majority of the consumed species, including smelt, shiners, and Bythotrephes, are found throughout the water column depending on daylight and thermocline depth, and this is where the majority of the feeding most likely occurred.

….although numerous invertebrate species were consumed and frequently in large amounts, fish species were the major diet item consumed by steelhead in all areas, comprising over 99% of the dry weight biomass.

post edited by CKM - 2011/09/09 15:51:58
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 16:12:09 (permalink)
    I thought the only thing they ate was BLUE POWERBAIT Learn something new every day.......

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 17:47:37 (permalink)
    Chuck,

Is theren any variance between the two lakes, Erie & Ontario, where the Spiny appears more prevelant? Also between ages, such as smolt-1yr old, to 1-3 year olds?

I can see from a bio-mass standpoint that gamefish would provide the most value. But nutritional value VS expended energy, the waterfleas might offer more value in certain conditions. Relatively no energy expended in sipping down fleas as a mass drifts through. Not challenging you, but wondering why the NY guy believed, or stated that fleas were the bulk of their diet.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 18:38:15 (permalink)
    A lot more fleas in O than in E so maybe that accounts for the difference? All I know is when I mark big balls of smelt out deep theres big hooks usually nearby in ice water, thats not green feesh.

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Erie 2 fish limit ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 2011/09/09 20:00:06 (permalink)
    2 fish limit??????
    It should be 22!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: