casting for chrome

Author
CU@theriver
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/07 13:47:50 (permalink)

casting for chrome

I'm curious about casting from shore for steelhead. So i'm looking for any advice from people who make this a habit.

-What kind of issues/problems do you run into fishing from shore?
-Is it best to try the shore early morning/evening/any time?
-I notice some channels become blocked by the formation of gravel bars/spits at the mouth, how does this affect fishing from shore? i.e. if the channel is open is it more advantageous to shore fish?
-I read that spoons and stickbaits can work, i've never personally caught anything with a spoon. But i do know they work in the open water when trolled.
-I've also heard certain wind directions make it better fishing from shore as well.

Just lookin for another way to enjoy catching these fish.

Any input, advice, suggestions appreciated.

2 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: casting for chrome 2011/09/07 17:43:18 (permalink)
    -What kind of issues/problems do you run into fishing from shore?
          Just inconsiderate people and the ones who bring lanterns.

-Is it best to try the shore early morning/evening/any time?
          The half hour before and after daylight is the best for September from my experience.

-I notice some channels become blocked by the formation of gravel bars/spits at the mouth, how does this affect fishing from shore? i.e. if the channel is open is it more advantageous to shore fish?
          If the channel is open, more cooler water is flowing into the lake drawing schools in but they might not stay long before venturing upstream.  If all locked up the near-shore fish tend to congregate more.  Pros/cons to both.

-I read that spoons and stickbaits can work, i've never personally caught anything with a spoon. But i do know they work in the open water when trolled.
         Spoons work well at times, but just like in the creeks, some baits out-fish others day to day.

-I've also heard certain wind directions make it better fishing from shore as well.
         Anything from the south is preferred as in my experience the steel don't hit too well when there are 2 footers crashing on shore and the water looks like chocolate milk.

Good luck to ya!
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: casting for chrome 2011/09/07 17:55:36 (permalink)
    +100 for what he said

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    Jump to: