Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ymesss
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/31 10:16:02 (permalink)

Wilhelm Musky

I know they're there. I know the game commission releases their netting reports with growing number over the past few years, and also the high number stocking figures as well.

I fish for these creatures atleast once per week, but considering I only live 5 minutes from
Wilhelm I have no confidence in it. So my question is: Do you fish lake Wilhelm for skis and if you do, have you had any success?

36 Replies Related Threads

Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 10:19:45 (permalink)
    Im not looking for a spotburn or anything like that, I just haven't heard one wisper from any locals about the lake for musky. Hell, I only think ive ever seen one other guy musky fishing on the lake.
    3006savage
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 11:52:17 (permalink)
    That has been a tough lake for me for some reason. I think part of the equation is where the Fish Commisson traps fish in various lakes may not be representative of the populations.

Another is that the gizzard shad population is extremely high right now and it is difficult to find a musky that is not in a neutral or negative feeding mood.

I have had 6 trips with nothing to show for it. I am going to drive a little further and hit Pymy from now on.

The other Musky guys I know that have given it a try have not had good results either for what ever reason. I think some time soon that lake could take off though.

I was mainly trolling in approx 10 feet of water with the big shad raps to mimic the shad and tried some casting the weeds with both spinners and shallow crank baits to no avial.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 12:06:41 (permalink)
    drift and jig bondys and fuzzys  :)P
    post edited by wade alexander - 2011/08/31 12:12:18
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 12:50:43 (permalink)
    The lake isn't all that big....If you live 5 minutes from it, you should certainly be fishing it more often. Enough said.

Don't expect any big numbers from any PA lakes...When I put more time in with muskies, years past, PA was always good for 30 to 40 fish a season and that was putting a lot of time into it. I spent most of my time at Arthur and the most I got from it one year was 29. Not because it was better, but because its 15 mins from my house and thats where I spent most of my time. If you don't have confidence in a lake, its probably because you haven't put enough time into it and finding out what the best techniques are to use there. Time is the key, not necessarily the place except for maybe a couple of bodies of PA waters which are a cut above. Most know which they are.

I have put enough time in Western PA lakes that each has its own characteristics and I find myself using different tactics/lures/structures, etc at any given PA lake....It took me 20+ years of muskie fishing to get to this point.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/08/31 12:55:11

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 13:08:23 (permalink)
    Ive put a few trips into wilhelm for musky but have also nothing to show for it. But while fishing for bass we had one smack a spinnerbait last year
    Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 14:39:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

The lake isn't all that big....If you live 5 minutes from it, you should certainly be fishing it more often. Enough said.

Don't expect any big numbers from any PA lakes...

I bet I have over around 60 trips on the water musky fishing this year alone with around 10 fish to show for it, if there's anything I know about musky fishing around here (which isn't a whole lot, im still a rookie) your not going to succeed every trip.

Im just trying to decide if i'm gonna spend alot of time on this lake in the future.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 14:44:12 (permalink)
    Thats muskie fishing....especially here in PA. Although it has gotten better because of certain efforts, it is still hit and miss. On another note, 60 trips and 10 fish? Those odds aren't too great anywhere bud....you may want to rethink your tactics on that particular body of water and try to become more progressive or try something different. The netting surveys don't lie...

I will say no more, I said fr too much more than I normally do in this regard....IMO and to be totally honest with you, this whole thread is a spot burn to a lake this size....please don't take offense to that either....you are the one who lives 5 minutes away from it, not me.

Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 14:57:02 (permalink)

Thats muskie fishing....especially here in PA. Although it has gotten better because of certain efforts, it is still hit and miss. On another note, 60 trips and 10 fish? Those odds aren't too great anywhere bud....you may want to rethink your tactics on that particular body of water and try to become more progressive or try something different. The netting surveys don't lie...

I will say no more, I said fr too much more than I normally do in this regard....IMO and to be totally honest with you, this whole thread is a spot burn to a lake this size....please don't take offense to that either....you are the one who lives 5 minutes away from it, not me.

Your the one the internet trying to be a know it all hardass, Im just trying to save a little time by getting on the right track sooner. Am I acting like I'm the king of musky fishing in western pa? Didn't I say I was a rookie???

Please refrain from posting on threads you can not add information to/or post a reasonable response to. Or better yet, just find another forum to troll on. 
    bigbob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 16:45:10 (permalink)
    lol you tell him Ymesss. i am also a rookie. for what it is worth..............woodcock, tamarack? :) i like me some tamarack.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/08/31 22:08:41 (permalink)
    Mentioning specific fishing locations on private property which may cause increases in angler traffic (a/k/a "spot burning") is prohibited.

so clearly talking about musky fishing on a public lake isnt "spot burning"  it is what it is... people shouldnt be on private property anyway without permission i dont know why this is even a rule...

not even going to get into the arguement about having a good or bad season shutupandfish deffently has more experience than me or ymesss ...although my yr has been pretty terrible but its really my first yr so owell...

hooray for the internet ... everyone has to **** and whine and have an opinion...if you havent been on the lake this yr fishing for musky, do you really have an opinion is my question...

i dont even go on musky forums because theres honestly nothing worth talking about and just a bunch of darshes

no offense ymesss or shutupnfish 

i dont think many fish wilhelm for musky honestly... or if they do no one really says much even at fergies i dont see many pics on the wall. but if you look theres a couple big old muskies hanging on the wall...my uncle said there used to be a ton of pike in there as well...havent heard of anyone catching one tho ...sometimes pple like to share sometimes they dont

post edited by wade alexander - 2011/08/31 22:15:25
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 06:28:29 (permalink)
    PM sent
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 07:42:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wade alexander

Mentioning specific fishing locations on private property which may cause increases in angler traffic (a/k/a "spot burning") is prohibited.

Thanks Wade, you summed it up nicely.
    Seems like pretty simple wording, not sure how it gets misconstrued so often.
    Wilhelm is the second largest *totally public* lake in Mercer co. - third largest in NW PA (not counting Erie) - almost 10 miles from one end to the other with well over 25 miles of shore line.

To top it off, a specific spot hasn't even been mentioned...
    or any real help given.

Definitely NOT a spot burn.
    Just some more muskie bickering.

Wish I could offer some good advice Ymesss, but I only ever get them incidentally while trolling for eyes. I'd stick with Wilhelm for a while if I was you...I witnessed them emptying one of the survey nets last year and talked to the fisheries biologists while they were doing it...he wasn't sure why more people don't target it either. Some impressive fish in there, learn the lake & you'll be glad you did.
    Good luck.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 11:16:23 (permalink)
    You young bucks get all fired up, especially when the truth hits right at home...just relax. Muskie fishing isn't the same as walleye fishing or steelhead or any other for that matter. If you're a rookie, and stick with it (which I doubt you will with your attitude and responses), you will find that out pretty quick. Most seasoned muskie anglers, with any sort of success, will rarely be heard from here...I was simply trying to help you out and tell it like it is, and you obviously could not handle it. I did, after all, say not to take offense.

Im just trying to save a little time by getting on the right track sooner.

Of course you are, an evident result of the "instant gratification" age. As I said, that **** don't fly in muskie fishing, because muskie fishing is ALL ABOUT TIME....the MORE time spent, the more success you will have. After you smarten up, if you smarten up (which some don't) on what to do where and how. Got it? Probably not. I'm sure you'll come back with some snide, snippy and angry response anyway.

Am I acting like I'm the king of musky fishing in western pa?

You certainly were not. Thats why I offered to help with a valid suggestion. You are the one who took offense and got defensive. Am I the king of muskie fishing in PA? Ummmmm NO, nor do I think so. "Know it all hardass"? Well, as far as muskie fishing goes, I will say that after 25+ years of experience, well over a thousand caught and released fish, involvements in several muskie preservation organizations and made efforts/petitions for the current PA regulations, etc, etc....Yes, I know a lot about muskie fishing since I've devoted half of my life to it. Yes, I can also confidently say that I have caught more, put more time in and KNOW more than MOST people do in regards to muskie fishing. Does that make me better than you??? H3LL NO! I never insinuated that either. I was just stating the facts.

So what more kind of information are YOU looking for? I suppose you want to know how to catch them and what methods are best suited for Wilhelm. I suppose you also want the most productive spots and lures too? So, be specific about what you want to know about wilhelm....do you just want to know if others are having success? Where does it lead from there? The guys catching the fish there, aren't going to tell you anyhow....look at the the responses....ALL from those who DON'T catch fish there, of course. I gave the only legitimate/positive response to what you were ACTUALLY looking for....A HOPE that there ARE fish there....willing fish?? THATS ALL UP TO YOU SIR.

Im not looking for a spotburn or anything like that, I just haven't heard one wisper from any locals about the lake for musky. Hell, I only think ive ever seen one other guy musky fishing on the lake.

So why did you post this soon after you opened the thread? I think you're well aware that this may be a touchy, tight lipped subject from square one....Its muskie fishing. I'm sure you will learn...

Final Note: Most who know me here, know that I AM certainly willing to help a guy out, even take him fishing, etc.....However, I'm NOT willing to spoonfeed over the net...NEVER...Don't take it wrong either YMess....I'm just speaking in general terms, not directly to you.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 11:27:25

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 11:48:01 (permalink)
    hooray^^

with all your "experience" you cant just say ive done best trolling or casting or this that or the other... or just not share thats cool too, like i said its not spot burning talking to local guys or pming them suggesting something to someone to help out. he said clearly that he didnt want someone "secret" spot, just maybe  someones take on what seems to work best for them that has more experience on the lake... im not sure why you even bother to get on a forum if no one here can really teach you anything or you really dont care to help anyone else.... maybe just like to argue

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 12:00:57 (permalink)
    Wade, I was happy to answer any specific questions you had through PMs right? And I'm totally cool with that. I'm not a local muskie guy to Wilhelm, but I know a few. And I know they'd be ****ed to see any mention of the muskie fishing out on the open internet. And I know its a public lake and netting surveys are public knowledge, but it is the way it is....the more successful guys are those with a lot of time, money and hard work invested...they are going to be tight lipped, period...Wilhelm may be large in mass, but think about the fishable muskie water. I can effectively troll that entire lake in less than a half a day, to me, it is just another spot to fish....Just the way it is.

I just think its funny you guys calling me a troll....I've been involved with this site for I don't know how many years and most everyone here knows exactly who I am....I'm not trying to hide anything either nor have I swayed from the topic at hand or posted inflamatory remarks to anyone....I just tell it the way IT IS thats all....Some just have a hard time handling that, and I guess thats OK
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 12:16:08

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 12:18:19 (permalink)
    yea man im not saying i dont like you, i appreciate that you do talk to me...

i wouldnt expect you to care, and clearly your not going to tell some random things that took you yrs to learn,ect...

but like spewing off about how 10 fish is a bad season, how many did u catch your first season, you might laugh to yourself like me "ive got 1 lost 3" harhar laugh some more  

but if someone said yea man i hit up wilhelm alot and have done good trolling at a certain depth or bait type,color...ect    or maybe man ive gotten half a dozen last week on a pink bucktail, you might grab your polka dot bucktail before you leave the house... or watever

dont go stealing my lil fishing troll pic now ;)p
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 12:58:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wade alexander

dont go stealing my lil fishing troll pic now ;)p

Too late. Love it. Already saved.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 12:58:45 (permalink)
    When did I say 10 fish was a bad season? I never said that. Again, I was stating the facts...10 fish in 60 trips are not that good of odds...am I right or wrong in saying that?? GO back and read....I said that if he legitimately spent 60 trips, as he stated, on a body of water and is not satisfied with his results; Then he might consider re-thinking his approach. But hey, if he is satisfied with those numbers, more power to him. No biggie to me.

And if I told you what I did my first year of seriously targeting muskies, you wouldn't believe me anyway

No thanks, I don't need your fishing mole picture to prove or explain myself.

OK, I guess I'll stop trolling here (not Wilhelm though)...Have a Nice Day!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 13:34:46

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 13:44:42 (permalink)

Most seasoned muskie anglers, with any sort of success, will rarely be heard from here...

Well, as far as muskie fishing goes, I will say that after 25+ years of experience, well over a thousand caught and released fish, involvements in several muskie preservation organizations and made efforts/petitions for the current PA regulations, etc, etc....Yes, I know a lot about muskie fishing since I've devoted half of my life to it. Yes, I can also confidently say that I have caught more, put more time in and KNOW more than MOST people do in regards to muskie fishing. Does that make me better than you??? H3LL NO! I never insinuated that either. I was just stating the facts.

Also stating a fact...those seem to be very contradicting posts.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 14:14:07 (permalink)
    Ummmm READ a little harder....try to at least comprehend what you've read....then you can try to explain your point

Ok I'm sorry I even said a word...I'm done with this. Carry on boys....enjoy all the muskie slayin' success!!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 14:30:31

Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 14:29:24 (permalink)

You young bucks get all fired up, especially when the truth hits right at home...just relax. Muskie fishing isn't the same as walleye fishing or steelhead or any other for that matter. If you're a rookie, and stick with it (which I doubt you will with your attitude and responses), you will find that out pretty quick. Most seasoned muskie anglers, with any sort of success, will rarely be heard from here...I was simply trying to help you out and tell it like it is, and you obviously could not handle it. I did, after all, say not to take offense.

Of course you are, an evident result of the "instant gratification" age. As I said, that **** don't fly in muskie fishing, because muskie fishing is ALL ABOUT TIME....the MORE time spent, the more success you will have. After you smarten up, if you smarten up (which some don't) on what to do where and how. Got it? Probably not. I'm sure you'll come back with some snide, snippy and angry response anyway.

You certainly were not. Thats why I offered to help with a valid suggestion. You are the one who took offense and got defensive. Am I the king of muskie fishing in PA? Ummmmm NO, nor do I think so. "Know it all hardass"? Well, as far as muskie fishing goes, I will say that after 25+ years of experience, well over a thousand caught and released fish, involvements in several muskie preservation organizations and made efforts/petitions for the current PA regulations, etc, etc....Yes, I know a lot about muskie fishing since I've devoted half of my life to it. Yes, I can also confidently say that I have caught more, put more time in and KNOW more than MOST people do in regards to muskie fishing. Does that make me better than you??? H3LL NO! I never insinuated that either. I was just stating the facts.

So what more kind of information are YOU looking for? I suppose you want to know how to catch them and what methods are best suited for Wilhelm. I suppose you also want the most productive spots and lures too? So, be specific about what you want to know about wilhelm....do you just want to know if others are having success? Where does it lead from there? The guys catching the fish there, aren't going to tell you anyhow....look at the the responses....ALL from those who DON'T catch fish there, of course. I gave the only legitimate/positive response to what you were ACTUALLY looking for....A HOPE that there ARE fish there....willing fish?? THATS ALL UP TO YOU SIR.

So why did you post this soon after you opened the thread? I think you're well aware that this may be a touchy, tight lipped subject from square one....Its muskie fishing. I'm sure you will learn...

Final Note: Most who know me here, know that I AM certainly willing to help a guy out, even take him fishing, etc.....However, I'm NOT willing to spoonfeed over the net...NEVER...Don't take it wrong either YMess....I'm just speaking in general terms, not directly to you.

You come across in a negative tone in your responses, and also a disrespectful manner. That is what makes me return the favor to you. Im not here to start a fight on the internet, but I wonder about people who respond to a friendly post about a local fishing lake they way you did.

What are your intentions, to put the young musky fishing crowd in its place? Hell, we all go out there to catch fish. Believe me, I'd of quit already if I was too impatient for the task of musky fishing. I guess trying to increase my fishing knowledge of a lake by trying to pull some information from people who have fished the area more than I have (or have had more success) is considered a young generation "I want everything without doing the work" kind of approach. Thats fine by me.

Here's what I have learned from you though Shutupandfish, I guess Im gonna have to beat the water of Wilhelm until I find out some of the answers i'm looking for. But what you need to learn is no one is going to respect you more for bad talking people's efforts to improve their own fishing experience. And that's what your doing. Sometimes when you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say it, because obviously you don't like the criticism either...

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 14:42:33 (permalink)
    Ymess...you certainly seem like a good dude and I apologize for coming across brash, but thats just me. Its NOT negative, its to the point. As I said before, don't take it the wrong way or take offense to it. EVERYONE should accept the fact that reading on the net in a forum is far different from reading a person's actual body language or conversing with them in person.

If you seriously want some help or would like to know what I feel to be good methods, FOR ME, on Wilhelm; you can certainly PM me and we can talk like men....instead of this name calling and insinuating blah blah blah BS. I just don't talk about details out in an open forum thats all.

Later...
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 14:43:11

Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 14:52:57 (permalink)

Ymess...you certainly seem like a good dude and I apologize for coming across brash, but thats just me. Its NOT negative, its to the point. As I said before, don't take it the wrong way or take offense to it. EVERYONE should accept the fact that reading on the net in a forum is far different from reading a person's actual body language or conversing with them in person.

If you seriously want some help or would like to know what I feel to be good methods, FOR ME, on Wilhelm; you can certainly PM me and we can talk like men....instead of this name calling and insinuating blah blah blah BS. I just don't talk about details out in an open forum thats all.

Later...

Alright. Fair enough.
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 15:17:41 (permalink)

dont tell me this isnt funny^^
    post edited by wade alexander - 2011/09/01 15:18:58
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 16:09:20 (permalink)

Ummmm READ a little harder....try to at least comprehend what you've read....then you can try to explain your point

Ok I'm sorry I even said a word...I'm done with this. Carry on boys....enjoy all the muskie slayin' success!!

You start out by saying that seasoned muskie anglers with any sort of success will rarely be heard from on here...and then go out to explain how seasoned you are and what experience you have.  That's very contradictory.  Please feel free to PM me to explain the difference.  There's no reason to have to explain on the boards but I'm certainly interested to see your response.  There's clearly no reason to read any harded.  But I do look forward to your most likely VERY LONG response that's a bunch of nonsense and doesn't give a specific answer.

Ymess...I certainly can't help with the muskie fishing on Wilhelm but I hope you get the info and fish that you're looking for.
    post edited by TastyTrout - 2011/09/01 16:10:22

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 16:28:01 (permalink)
    Mabee you boys should be on the boards awhile before throwing out the Troll card.

SUF is a stand up dude that is a contributing member on this board.

He is one hell of a Musky fisherman.

TT get to know the man before you run your piehole...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 16:34:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

You start out by saying that seasoned muskie anglers with any sort of success will rarely be heard from on here...and then go out to explain how seasoned you are and what experience you have.  That's very contradictory.  Please feel free to PM me to explain the difference.  There's no reason to have to explain on the boards but I'm certainly interested to see your response.  There's clearly no reason to read any harded.  But I do look forward to your most likely VERY LONG response that's a bunch of nonsense and doesn't give a specific answer.

Ymess...I certainly can't help with the muskie fishing on Wilhelm but I hope you get the info and fish that you're looking for.

You opened the can 'o worms, I'll close it right now....I was not referring to myself in this instance. I said MOST....there is a difference between MOST and ALL isn't there?? So no, you are wrong....was I wrong in saying not much info would be acquired out here? Did he find what he wanted to find out? It is NOT "very contradictory". And do you see me talking about where I fish, when I fish or how I fish for muskies?? Do you know how many muskies I have caught this year and where and on what? Nope. I do not disclose that info on an open internet forum....I may certainly post some photos of the fish I have caught for your viewing pleasure, but thats it. Specific enough for you? I sure hope so, because my long winded responses are mainly to appease the more sensitive types and those knuckleheads who have a hard time understanding things without a book being written and every angle covered.....trust me, I wish I could say what I try to say in just a few words!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/01 16:44:20

buck306
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 18:53:12 (permalink)
    Holy crap guys this drama should be on tv. I think you would get good ratings
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Wilhelm Musky 2011/09/01 20:38:27 (permalink)
    I'll throw this out there for Y'all.Musky's are called the fish of 10,000 casts for a reason
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: