musky info

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/18 10:37:10 (permalink)

musky info

Looking to be spoonfed some info on some musky waters.  never fished for them, but think we might make a trip up this weekend(several variables depending), and we dont have a CLUE what we are doing.  We are not really set up to troll, so we will be casting, probably bring the fly stick too. Not really sure whether to fish deep, shallow, what type of structure, etc.  Feel free to send a PM if you have something to contribute that you don't want the world to see.  I don't know where we would go even, so any tips in that department would be welcomed too.  Thinking maybe woodcock.  Thanks in advance, and dont worry, we probably wont catch anything, and doubt we will become much competition, LoL  We would be happy with one 18" long between the two of us.

12 Replies Related Threads

FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: musky info 2011/08/18 14:37:45 (permalink)
    Don't waste your time at woodcock spillway, the creeks are very low tons of carps or suckers. I fished there last week for muskies useing bluegills for 5 hours and didn't even get a bite. Maybe try the the woodcock lake they have been getting some walleyes in the boat, thats just what I have been told. Thanks and have a nice day
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: musky info 2011/08/18 15:15:13 (permalink)
    What are your rod/reel/line setups?
    What type of baits do you have? that should have you narrowed down on depth you can target

With out the proper equiptment you might as well be punching yourself in the face.
    That also means the tools necessary for a ethical release, large landing net, long plyers, glove, good sidecutters or small bolt cutters, jaw spreaders.

It is better to cut the hooks to free the bait from a fish then go get a small piece of hook out than have a bait with many hook flopping around sticking in the fish or your own body. Hook are cheap ER visit isnt cheap. Trust me.
    post edited by anzomcik - 2011/08/18 16:07:37
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: musky info 2011/08/18 16:58:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anzomcik

What are your rod/reel/line setups?
    What type of baits do you have? that should have you narrowed down on depth you can target

With out the proper equiptment you might as well be punching yourself in the face.
    That also means the tools necessary for a ethical release, large landing net, long plyers, glove, good sidecutters or small bolt cutters, jaw spreaders.

It is better to cut the hooks to free the bait from a fish then go get a small piece of hook out than have a bait with many hook flopping around sticking in the fish or your own body. Hook are cheap ER visit isnt cheap. Trust me.

Gotta agree catching one by mistake is one thing but it's a whole different story when you target them. They really don't come that easily so a good release is important.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: musky info 2011/08/18 18:22:55 (permalink)
    Anzomcik +1

Proper landing and release equipment a must. Will keep you and the fish safe. Check PM
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: musky info 2011/08/18 23:16:52 (permalink)
    woodcock is a pretty high number lake for musky...

good luck?
    post edited by wade alexander - 2011/08/18 23:24:16
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 07:24:22 (permalink)
    Hey guys thanks for all the info, both on here and through pm's.  It looks like it is going to be pushed back a week.  We have a grip thing, a huge net(yet to be used hahaha), and pliers with side cuts.  As far as my spinning set up goes, I have 50 pound braid to put on my big rod, and I will prolly use a steel leader.  My fly set up might be light, so i am going to have to use slightly smaller streamers then maybe is ideal, 4-5 inch instead of 6-8 inch.  My biggest rod is an 9'6" 8wt, so we will see how it goes.  I havent had the practice this summer that I prolly need to toss big flies with that slippery **** sinking line, so Im going to try to get some work in with it this weekend.  Thanks again for all the info folks!!!
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 07:33:08 (permalink)
    maybe you want to go to tamarack ...its electric only but would be more friendly to fly fishing i think ...its shallow 
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 07:52:26 (permalink)
    Muskies are pretty low density fish in the lakes around here so your key will be to fish fast and cover water, try to find an active one. Do you have a trolling motor and a GPS?? That would definitely help you cover water and keep track of it...
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 08:06:44 (permalink)
    Please be more specific on your big rod and spinner reel. Is your rod rated for 1oz baits or 8oz baits. With you using a spinning reel you are already bring a knife to the gun fight, and if your rod isnt up to the task, it would be like trying to hit off of Nolan Ryan with a wiffleball bat.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 08:51:29 (permalink)
    IDk I bought it to fish in the ocean when I was like 14.  I havent spin fished much in the past 5+ years, so I'm not sure.  I am going to re rig it with the heavier line that I mentioned.  It is pretty heavy, I mean, maybe not like 600 lb marlin heavey, but I think it will do.  you think a baitcaster is a better?  because of the physics/like winding perpindicular?   
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 09:28:43 (permalink)
    Years ago, used to fish jigs a lot for muskies, especially in the fall. Dressed jigs, usually bucktail, black, 1/2 or 3/4 oz tipped with a plastic lizard or reaper. Pork eels work well also. This is the only application where I found spinning gear to be preferable to casting gear. 7' medium/heavy rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz lures and 15 lb maxima ultragreen mono.

If you are into throwing heavier lures- jerks, bucktails, surface, etc, bait casting tackle with 80 lb braid is the way to go. Of course, just my personal opinion. You can get by with spinning gear. For most casting applications it just isn't the best choice.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: musky info 2011/08/19 10:00:34 (permalink)
    written On the rod should have the rateing for the intended use for lure, line, its action...

Readers digest version of why spinning isnt the prefered choice for musky fishing would be, (if you want to talk physics, pm me and i will make your head spin) First spinning reels lack the rigidity of casting reels, Spinning reels drags are depenednt on other components in the system, also generally speaking spinning reels are not built to handle (retreiving or casting) baits that weigh upwards of 13oz, so that would limit you to smaller baits and if you do have a musky to take your bait, they have better odds of takin the baits deep, and better chance of killing the fish....
    post edited by anzomcik - 2011/08/19 10:01:20
    Jump to: