trebles vs single hooks

Author
wade alexander
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 293
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/16 22:25:10 (permalink)

trebles vs single hooks

just wondering on your thoughts on hooks ive had so many fish get off lures that have multiple treble hooks lately i dont know if its because they arent sharp or just to much hook in the way or what. maybe its just me pulling to hard or not enough...maybe just my luck with the % of fish that are always just going to get away :)p

i seem to catch fish with one hook why cant i when there are 6 or 9 sharp points  lol

10 Replies Related Threads

spg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 08:09:29 (permalink)
    There are a lot of lures out there that I wouldn't give you two cents for the hooks that come with them.  When I troll, I noticed I was loosing fish, than when I got home I took a magnifing glass and got a close look at hooks.  The barbs on the hooks were bent in causing the fish to come off.  Now after every fish hooked I check and make sure that the barb is out away from the shank of the hook.  My landing to loosing fish ratio went way up. 

Let's face it , when the fish are biting, we catch one, put it in the box and cast right back out with checking the hooks.  Every year before I start trolling I replace all the hooks on the lures I used the year before.  If I use a lure quite often I will replace the hooks a couple of times during the season.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 08:30:22 (permalink)
    It very well could be dull hooks, but there is also something else that most people dont think about and that is the large piece of plastic (lure body) that those hooks are attached to. The lure body can act as a lever and put way more pressure on the hook if the fish is thrashing about.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 08:50:56 (permalink)
    Have you sharpen every hook point? I use to loose alot of fish, until i took a file to every point.

IMO you cant set the hook to hard when musky fishing.
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 09:23:54 (permalink)
    Trebles vs single hooks as it might apply to muskie plugs, personal preference is to use doubles for belly hooks rather than trebles. Doubles, VMC or Mustad, size 3/0 or 4/0 on smaller 5 to 7" lures. Doubles hook fish well, eliminate hook wear on plug bellies, eliminate the need for split rings and often improve lure tracking. Of course hooks should always be sharp and touched up with a file as needed. A few muskie trolling plugs I like where doubles work really well: Lokes, Ziggies, Super Shad Raps, J-13 Rapalas, Baker Shads and other deep diving 5" shad style baits.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 11:09:08 (permalink)
    i have noticed that when i use rebel craws, the fish almost always hit that front trouble hook and it causes a helluva time trying to get it out of their mouths. I dont notice that issue with other lures though.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/08/17 12:54:04 (permalink)
    I replace all my bomber with lazer sharp hooks
    ecca
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/09/07 10:59:17 (permalink)
    I pull crankbaits all summer for crappie and at first I lost along of my hook ups, changed all the trebs to singles and rarely loose a fish....just a thought
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/09/07 21:17:13 (permalink)
    Something I've found out and I never realized until this summer is that the weed growth (mil foil) could be the reason why you're losing them. The fish get tangled up in all that  crap causing the fish to break free. It happened to me many times.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/09/08 08:56:56 (permalink)
    Luck vs. Bad Luck

The fish, IMO, does 99.9% of the work in the final determination of whether its going to the net or not. And its all in the way it strikes your offering. All we can do as anglers is to make sure we are using quality hooks/gear and keeping them sharp and working smoothly. Beyond that, its up to the fish....it doesn't matter how much anyone wrenches on hook sets. Sometimes wrenching hook sets can be a bad thing and cause for losing a barely hooked fish...I believe in keeping good pressure with little to no slack line during a fight with any fish. That said, I'd prefer a treble over any single or double hook anyday, especially while muskie fishing. The more hooks and barbs, the better your odds of landing that fish. Bottom Line for me.

But hey, I don't know what the Hell I'm talking about half the time
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/09/08 09:26:00

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: trebles vs single hooks 2011/09/08 20:10:50 (permalink)
    The action of the rod being used to toss trebles also has a great deal to do with landing percentage. Line strech plays a factor also. Get both of those in tune, and have quality, sharperned hooks, and landing percentage goes up.

A rod that is "fast" action generally can tear the hooks out. A slower action helps cushion the blow of the head shakes and jumps, much like a long noodle rod does for steelhead. Mono will strech somewhat which also cushions the blows to the trebles.

I have to admit.....last week I lost a ton of bass at Pymatuning. I had them biting a 3" popper around weeds. I was tossing it on a soft tipped medium action spinning rod and 8 lb braided line. The popper is so light that mono just would not work, I tried, plus with the weeds the braid helped dig the fish out. In that situation I just couldn't keep many hooked. They'd get into the weeds, pull free, jump, and throw the bait. Many factors going against me.
    But that just goes to show that in some cases the odds are stacked against keeping the fish hooked.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jump to: