Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FlyFishingPenrod
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/14 13:21:32 (permalink)

Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1

Share some of your funniest stories while fishing for steelhead whether it be about fights, falling in, drunks, etc.

30 Replies Related Threads

flytierwon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 13:51:45 (permalink)
    I was fishing with a buddy one year on Candaway Creek, NY & he decided to stinger a fish for the smoker and make a cream cheese and chives spread...YUMMY! Now this was one of the nice heavy dudty 6' brass end stringers he carefully secured "so he said" and later noticed the 9# Chromer had made an escape...yup back to fight another day or perish tugging a rope to seal his fate. Well, a half hour or so later I latch into a nice fresh Steelie but the fight seemed odd to me and I seen a glimmer of white, I thought another fish trailing the one I had hooked...NOT, it was the stringered fish my buddy had lost just earlier in the day. I couldn't believe it. Now you may be thinking I foul hooked the fish, and I could wrap my brain around that thought a little easier myself, but it had ate the fly fairly deep at the same time chewing on the stringer.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 13:54:36 (permalink)
    One time at Band camp..........................

steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 14:02:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flytierwon

I was fishing with a buddy one year on Candaway Creek, NY & he decided to stinger a fish for the smoker and make a cream cheese and chives spread...YUMMY! Now this was one of the nice heavy dudty 6' brass end stringers he carefully secured "so he said" and later noticed the 9# Chromer had made an escape...yup back to fight another day or perish tugging a rope to seal his fate. Well, a half hour or so later I latch into a nice fresh Steelie but the fight seemed odd to me and I seen a glimmer of white, I thought another fish trailing the one I had hooked...NOT, it was the stringered fish my buddy had lost just earlier in the day. I couldn't believe it. Now you may be thinking I foul hooked the fish, and I could wrap my brain around that thought a little easier myself, but it had ate the fly fairly deep at the same time chewing on the stringer.

thats funny story, i see at least 5 stringers filled with steelheads or salmon every year rotting away.
    those fish can pull if you dont bonk thiere heads before stringing them up
    also found a stringer with 2 steelhead and a channel cat once on silver creek.
    if i keep a few its the last few i catch that day.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 14:54:57 (permalink)
    Russians.. Enough said
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 18:35:19 (permalink)
    I could tell you that ... na thats not a good one.

OH this one time ... no thats not a good one either

I awoke one morning and ... nope that just wont do it

6point7 told me once ... Id better not

indsguiz had fallen ... he will say how many times

cold is the man and ... well if ya dont know then...

doubletapper saw a mermaid in a brookie stream and ... well he tells it better

Who wants to fish with the chartist... ummm

mikeg is really Leon Phelps...

bulldog is the photoshop king... but you will see

Mr.Slickfish said .... ere'

There is so many I dont know where to go from here.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 19:00:52 (permalink)
    i got some stories but have other stuff to do.
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 19:04:48 (permalink)
    where i come from so cold when siberian tiger **ss freeze before hit ground.......................
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 19:11:38 (permalink)
    you russian man. if so cool deal.
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 19:21:07 (permalink)
    no just something a friend of always says 
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 21:37:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Skip16503

One time at Band camp..........................

Skip, I want to imagine what you shoved or had shoved WHERE at bandcamp....

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 21:46:47 (permalink)
    I don't

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/14 23:46:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deetz4352

What about 8, 16, 32, 40. Looks like you forgot that 1. How bout " we smashed em. I got 1 " ?
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/15 04:56:46 (permalink)
    Anybody remember whatsajob? that makes it a funny trip right there....

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/15 19:18:19 (permalink)
    afew years back my and a friend of mine were fishing upper elk it was feb. the water was high and the temp was around 20 or so we caught a few but decided to venture up stream. got to a point where we had to cross to continue on. thought the water was high we figured we could make it without falling in so i went first and crossed fairly easy. on the far bank there was a three with its roots sticking out into the water offering a good place to get a foot hold. when it was my buddies turn he made a few steps and decided he was gonna throw me the net (should've known this was probably a bad idea). when he threw the net it stuck to his gloves and landed in the middle of the stream. i took off running after the net and the tree roots i thought a god send on my way across showed me why they were really there i hit the water face first and somehow managed to grab the net saving it. learned my lesson tho, next time some lucky fisherman will get a free net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/15 19:22:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

ORIGINAL: deetz4352

What about 8, 16, 32, 40. Looks like you forgot that 1. How bout " we smashed em. I got 1 " ?

Looks like you just covered those stories. Didnt want to take all of the good ones , just some.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/15 21:50:56 (permalink)
    I was fishin with the Erie crew when bait guys showed up in flannel and camo...They had dirty fingers and smelled bad....superfunny.

We laughed and laughed....pointed...and laughed some more.

Then we had pancakes........and micro beers....best day ever!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 08:48:44 (permalink)
    One time I went fishing with some kids that pinned that said that they're method was better...

Once I schooled them with the fly rod all morning, I decided to take the pin for the heck of it.  After they made tireless efforts of fishing over a huge pod of fish to no avail, I was able to get one to bite a single egg while pinning.

They didn't land one all day....poor fellas.
    Eriefisherman69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 09:14:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

One time I went fishing with some kids that pinned that said that they're method was better...

Once I schooled them with the fly rod all morning, I decided to take the pin for the heck of it.  After they made tireless efforts of fishing over a huge pod of fish to no avail, I was able to get one to bite a single egg while pinning.

They didn't land one all day....poor fellas.

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

Bigmacnurse
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 09:22:51 (permalink)
    me and my buddy bill were fishing up on walnut at the wall one evening.  As we sat there side by side i noticed my line had a slight bounce to it then i saw his slack over mine.  I asked him if he thought he was in  my line he said there was no way.  It kept doing it so i asked him again.  He said he knows he wasnt the third time I asked him I stood up and my rod ripped right outta the holder and into the stream.  This was in early oct midday so i jumped in and got my rod.  Fish was still on.  So later that night we were fishing again its about 11 pm now my only change of clothes i had on.  I get a silver on and walk it down to the boat inlet to net it as I hear a splash and someone say there went someone elses rod.  It was my other one why we were netting one a fish hit my other rod and took it in. After minutes of following the rod with a flashlight my buddy convinced me to go in after my rod again.  I got the rod back but it was a very very cold night and next day.  The next day we had these two cool guys sitting next to.  They obviously had some adult beverages earlier, the one guy looks at us and says holding a jar of powerbait, This stuff taste good but I wouldnt eat it. As he had to goto the hospital for eating the powerbait,  It was a weekend I will never forget but it was fun with lots of laughs
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 09:31:57 (permalink)
    here is a good one.  myself and two buddies of mine decieded we would drive up and fish the mouth of elk.  we get there and if you are looking at the lake we were on the left bank right at the mouth.  once we started fishing one of them went back to the car and came back with an inflatable raft.  i asked what they were doing and they informed me that they were going to row out alittle and fish.  they wanted to get about 50yards off shore.  now mind you the wind was coming out of the north at a good clip and the waves were probably in the 4-5ft area.  and it was like 50 outside and nighttime.  i told them that they were stupid and should not even try.  i told them lake erie is nothing to play around with, that you have to respect the lake or it could kill you.  they told me they would be fine due to the fact that they float down the canamaugh (spell) river all the time.  while they were blowing up the raft i decided i would build a fire when they asked why i just told i was a little cold, really i figured i would have to dry out two water logged morons.  as they got ready to leave i told them i would see them when they floated back in.  they assured me they would be fine.  it was as if lake erie knew they were disrespecting it cause just as they made it to the mouth a wave bigger than the others smashed against the front of the raft flipping it over with all their gear.  as they crawled back up on the shore i was laughing my tail off and mocked them on how good they were.  they came and sat by the fire to dry and warm and i had some campbells soup ready for them.  to this day we laugh at that and they say that they wish that they had listened to me.

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 11:05:48 (permalink)
    Wow, where do I begin but "back in the day." It was 1978 and my life long fishing fiend--I mean friend--and I had  been granted a weekend parole from the 7th grade. I had been fishing since I was 4, but it was Dave's first time on a stream, he had only been on a family friend's boat and did some perch fishing. So we went down to Walnut at Buttermilk Falls to catch some of them there coho salmon. We were well equipped with Zebco 202's and big bobbers--after all a salmon is a big fish. So, with Dave's mom's words "Don't get wet" ringing in our ears we trudged down to the creek. Now it had been warm, so the creek was down (happened back then too, must have been the flourocarbons). We didn't catch anything at Buttermilk so we walked upstream, yep right up the middle like true fishermen do. Dave looked up stream and saw a salmon resting in the shallows on the shale flat that we were on. So, we dropped the rods and started to chase it. Can't be done, right? We chased that thing up stream and down Dave would work above it and I worked below it. It zipped past me and I tripped and fell. I got my head out of the water just in time to see Dave holler, "I got you now!" as he dove with his hands out and pressed the fish against a rock. I can still see him standing up with a death grip on that fish, his Star Wars sweatshirt (we saw it when it came out the first time) soaked and stretched to the knees. We later found out that was illegal--but not before he grabbed a brown the same way that afternoon. That was 33 years ago and Dave and I still fish together every November.

I know you asked for steelhead, but back then they were just a novelty. As in "Watcha got there Fred? Is that a coho? It doesn't quite look like a coho."
    post edited by cbeagler - 2011/08/16 11:12:27
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 13:40:09 (permalink)
    http://youtu.be/RUTovcmLs5k

self explanatory
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3472
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 14:06:53 (permalink)
     hEar fishIe fishIe 
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 14:26:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

self explanatory

My Grampa died that way...but that was 60 yrs ago, and ice has come a long way since then.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 15:41:59 (permalink)
    The guys who actually think they are "fly fishing" for steelhead in erie pa tribs.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 16:17:57 (permalink)
    ^
    FlyFishingPenrod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/16 18:35:07 (permalink)
    used to be good friends w. some kid who thought he knew everything.  the kind of kid who truly needs a legit license to smoke the wild stuff because if not, his nerves are tighter than some of the red ruffy I used to get back in high school; he needs xanax, but whatever...

As we are driving to Erie, he gets a text from his gf about her finding a conversation between him and another girl on facebook.  The day was ruined even though copious amounts of smoke were driven to the clouds.  We talked about her all day and how grown up he was and ready to be married.  The phone convos' were hilarious.  Did not even catch a fish. 

"Everythings gon be alright, baby. I'ma get home and we gon work this out" :)
    post edited by FlyFishingPenrod - 2011/08/16 19:55:09
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/17 01:00:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: topdog99

beagler, I have a back "then" you might remember..
    I was prob 3 or 4 and have vague memories of it, but do you remember when the fish comm. had coho in a tank at walnut to show people what they were? maybe early 80's?
    also, caught my first coho at waterworks pond(yes, the PFBC put some in there one year). it hit a red roostertail if i remember correct.

hope this helps

I don't remember seeing the tank myself--but I remember someone talking about it. Ah, the red rooster tail. I would not doubt that. White was always a good color for me.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead Chronicles Vol. 1 2011/08/17 01:03:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

self explanatory

I was down there that day just before it broke loose and saw you guys fishing. I went down in the afternoon and--wow--it had really packed in.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: