Boat Rigging

Author
bar2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/08 20:30:16 (permalink)

Boat Rigging

So earlier this spring I purchased my first boat and I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to rig it with. I need some advice I have a ranger 692 and I’m trying to figure how to rig up the rod holders so as to avoid tangles. I am trying to set it up for walleye trolling so if I put 3 rod holders on each of the rails with two of them having planar boards and the other having a dipsy diver would this work. Also I am planning on using ram rod holders. Another problem I am having is which fish finder I am torn between the lowrance HDS series and hummingbird. Also is the side scan necessary like does it really make a difference. Any advice on this is much appreciated.

9 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/08 20:36:52 (permalink)
    What I would do is call Fishusa and talk to Brian E

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 08:17:33 (permalink)
    This is just my opinion, and yes...I know, everybody has one!

As to rod holders - the Ram's would work, we have them on our other boat and they have been there for a few years and seem to be holding up alright, BUT they don't see heavy trolling like on Erie. We had the Cannon "composite" holders on our boat that we use on Erie all of the time and they basically wore out after 2 years. (the spline shaft kept popping out of the mounting base, almost causing lost rods!)
    I would recomment Big Jon's or Craig's.

As to Sonar...if you're just running the open water of Erie, my PERSONAL thought is that the side-scan is pretty much a waste of money since the bottom is pretty much barren and featureless...no "structure" to target for the eyes. HOWEVER, if you plan to use the boat in other places it might be a value to have side-scan.
    We run an HDS-7 (older, without side-scan)and it does a decent job for us...now that we have all of the latest software upgrades for it!

On more thing...do yourself a big favor...get a marine radio with a decent antenna! It may save your life someday!!! (cell phones don't always work out on the big water!)

HTH

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 09:08:02 (permalink)
    Bar 2,
    I concur with erie mako,if you fish erie the side scan is a waste of money.I have a Humminbird 998C its a wonderful unit i wouldnt leave home w/o it!! Im sure the Lowrance is great also.There is a learning curve with it im still finding features it does after a year of using it!It has a wondeful wide screen,tons of power,super GPS, cant go wrong!!IMHO!!Side scan is kinda neat around docks and rocky walls and in tree filled areas.Not much use anywere else.

ICENUT
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 12:37:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I do have a question about the big john rod holders I plan on using inline planar boards so wouldn't I have the rod holders horizontal which I would feel the rod could easily fall out that is the only reason why I hadn't considered them. Also I will definitely get a marine radio I hadn't planned on going out without it. Any recommendations on which one is a good one and is an antenna needed I hadn't looked into the radios yet and don't know too much about them.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 13:07:06 (permalink)
    Best advice I can give you is to check out as many other boats as you can. There are so many different options out there it is a daunting task to get the right stuff the first time. You made a good first step posting this thread.

I have 11 rod holders on my boat not counting the ones on the downriggers or "storage" holders. I have 4 that clamp on the rails and the rest are flush mount. I think the flush mounts are Perko's and don't remember the brand on the rail mounts but they were expensive and are good quality stainless steel with rubber inserts to protect the rod. Not a fan of the BJ rod holders, my dad has a triple set on each side of his boat and when 1 rod goes off it shakes the other two making for momentary confusion. Haven't seen any of them break, but they don't feel as solid as my rail mounts.

For electronics I have two GPS/Sonar combos on board, a marine radio and a compass. Also have a 15 hp 4 stroke kicker tied to the outdrive for steering and a TrollMaster throttle control.

You can spend nearly as much rigging a boat as buying a boat, but at least it's fun... until you run out of money...
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 17:23:51 (permalink)
    Horizontal? - we usually run ours at about a 45 degree angle.

To reduce the risk of rod loss, I just use a 13" elastic bungee strap to hold the rod in the holder. On the single holders I just used cable ties to attach the lower end of the bungee to the tube, on the triple holders, there were holes drilled into the base plate that I put the bottom bungee hook through and bent the hook closed.

The hook on the far end can then be bent open a wee bit and conveniently hooked over the reel cage to keep it in the holder tube.
    post edited by Erie Mako - 2011/08/09 17:25:15

Attached Image(s)

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 18:24:52 (permalink)
    16 big jon rod holders on my boat and they handle king fishing on lake o each year as well. I run a vertical triple tree for the board rods bar none the best way to run board rods. Then I have a triple on each side for dipsy rods etc. And 2 on each rigger. The big jons are in my opinion the best for the price, ciscos and craigs are better but also double the price
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 19:19:41 (permalink)
    I am just curious are you using this with inline planars or the regular larger planar boards. Also which is better for fishing erie?
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Boat Rigging 2011/08/09 21:12:15 (permalink)
    I use them for both. I use the unlined at night and in the western basin in the spring and fall and the big boards in the deep water summer program. Good to have both but inlines are a little more versatile.
    Jump to: