Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Deadbolt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/08 03:00:17 (permalink)

Kinzua And Surrounding Areas

I'll be heading up to do some fishing Labor Day weekend, Rented a Cabin with the family around the zoo.

Never been there, but hear it's got good fishing. I'm not asking for spots or anything really, just some general information. I Google Earth'ed and say a few streams, such as Farnsworth, and I also saw Chapman State Park.

I've done some research, and apparently the Kinzua Tailwaters hold some fish. Trout, walleye, Musky, Pike and whatnot. I am I right in assuming when "tailwaters" is mentioned, its right below the Dam/Spillway?

I figured i could tangle my flyrod in some trees around the streams, and snag some Spoons/Swimbaits in the tailwaters.

Any general info, tips or whatever is welcome. Also, Is there a Beer dist or anything up there, I'll be near Clarendon.

thanks in advance folks!

30 Replies Related Threads

Ledhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 11:57:30 (permalink)
    Fishing in the streams and tailwaters is pretty slow right now because of warm temps and low water level.. The tailwaters (discharge below the dam) is slow but fish are being caught.. Chapman dam has some nice rainbows and browns but early morning /evening seems to be the better time for fishing there.. same goes for Farnsworth but there you will have to fish riffles and deep hole and it is also slow going.. There is a beer dist in Sheffield(Sheffield Beer and Ice) that is 3 miles or so East of Clarendon.. Best of luck and enjoy your trip..
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 13:03:23 (permalink)
    I've never fished the Allegheny, but the tailwaters are supposed to be good for just about everything, and the water temp should be ok cuz of the cold water coming out. I've fished Chapman once only for a half an hour, and caught a nice bass on my first cast but nothing else. Fished Farnsworth once and dind't catch or see anything. I'm not an expert on the area but if you want to know of a few wild trout streams in the general area shoot me a PM.
    graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 14:13:52 (permalink)
    When we would fish with the kids we would fish the resevior.We would find a nice shoreline with a gradual slope so the kids could splash around.We would have food and drink,then I would rig everyone with a half ounce slip sinker #4 OR #6 hook add a blown-up nightcrawler,wade out up to my chest and let'r rip,leave the bail open, walk back to shore, close the bail,reel up the slack,set in a rod holder,hang a bobber on the line and sit back and relax,play with the kids;what ever.We always had a good time whether we caught fish or not,but I'd say we caught fish just about every time.Have fun and if you get the chance check out Rim Rock and Jake's rock while your in the area.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 15:34:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: troutguy

I've never fished the Allegheny, but the tailwaters are supposed to be good for just about everything, and the water temp should be ok cuz of the cold water coming out. I've fished Chapman once only for a half an hour, and caught a nice bass on my first cast but nothing else. Fished Farnsworth once and dind't catch or see anything. I'm not an expert on the area but if you want to know of a few wild trout streams in the general area shoot me a PM.

If they did a bottom release and stuck to it that would be true. But they don't. The temps can fluctuate 10 degrees during the day.
    Temp for the last few days has been 72-75 degrees, fishing has been a little tough during the day.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 17:33:11 (permalink)
    Awesome guys, thanks a ton for the info! I'll be up there with a buddy who's an avid fisherman, and my family and his ball and chain. So, We'll be doing a bit of everything up there.

I've got fly rods, so I'll be taking a shot at the small streams. I've never caught native fish, so maybe I'll try to gather info on that.  I figured because it's been so hot, that the streams would be down.

Also long shot here, but I remember being a kid, and going to an Elk Viewing Area somewhere up north. I have no idea where it was, but man those elk were amazing to see. Any areas up there like that?
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 19:35:40 (permalink)
    bings, I thought it was always bottom release? I guess not..

Deadbolt, Yea if you've never caught any native brook trout definitely do it, it is so much fun! PM me if you need any info on them. Even if you don't catch many fish you'll still have a great time and the scenery is awsome. Have fun!

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/08 20:42:19 (permalink)
    TG I don't think it is.
    Looks like a top release is 70-75degree temp on the gauge.
    And a bottom takes it down to under 66.Mabee when they generate electricity they take it from the bottom...
    Only way I can explain these daily temp variations.

But I could be wrong...

bearfisherman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 01:14:30 (permalink)
    I always thought the temps rose when they generated since they pulled the water from the top and dropped it down over the turbines.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 08:10:11 (permalink)
    You could be right there I may have it backwards...

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 08:56:51 (permalink)

The dam has nothing to do with generating electricity. There is a huge pump above the dam that pumps water (from behind the dam) up to a huge reservoir on the hill top above Rt.59. The Power plant below the dam generates the electricity. The water from the reservoir on the hilltop is what is used to run the turbines and generate the electricity. That reservoir has been empty for most of the summer and recently when it was filled, it had to be drained again because of a leak they found. I don't know if it is back up and running as of yet or not.
    The dam is a top release all summer and you wont see bottom release during the summer unless there is high water and the discharge rate exceeds 4000 or 5000cfs is usually when the bottom gates get opened. In the late fall when they drop it to winter pool they switch it over to bottom release for the duration of the winter until they raise it back up to summer pool level in the spring.

fruntz1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 09:40:19 (permalink)

info on the elk heard;  benzette pa.  also, you can go up to the old train bridge north of rt 6 for the kids.  train rides out of marienville.  clarion river for bass fishing or farther north for big browns.  there are plenty of places to fish up there.  you would need to drive and explore.  canoe trips on allegheny and clarion.  oil creek for fly fishing (see posts on this site)  have a great vaca!

http://paelk.com/
    lunker49
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 12:02:43 (permalink)
    OK i dont understand the release. i see the water coming from the top chutes. I also see water coming from the bottom chutes.
    Are you telling me that water from the top of the dam can come out at the bottom? I never understood this but there is water coming from both places right now. And I do know they shut the top chutes off in the winter.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 12:52:23 (permalink)
    There is no water coming from the bottom chutes unless that changed since yesterday. During the spring you will see top and bottom gates open, or when they are kicking out excessive amounts like 15,000 or above. but in general when the water is at normal pool levels, in the summer its from the top only, and in the winter its from the bottom.
    However one scenario might occur and that's if the water above the dam gets too low below summer pool and then the top gates wont work and will have to discharge from the bottom. But generally speaking unless there are extenuating circumstances.. the top gates are summer discharge and bottom are winter.
    Generally :)

outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 14:27:25 (permalink)
    This pic shows the top resevoir behind the power plant. I never knew it existed until Ubertracker sent me the picture. You can't see it from below. I had always assumed like Bings that the water coming through the main dam is what drove the turbines but that is not the case.

bearfisherman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/09 16:22:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I knew about the pumped storage but thought there was still hydropower being generated from the water coming from the dam.
    lunker49
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 06:53:16 (permalink)
    i was aloways told that the pool was water being pumped during low power periods and then brought down through during peak power, but i guess if you look at differential pressure you get quite a bit of power by pumping it up on the hill first
    for all the generation
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3035
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 07:21:26 (permalink)
    Stop at the visitors center.
    They explain it all, there.

USACE states that they try to maintain traditional river temps.

no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 09:15:06 (permalink)
    no more train ride out of marinville
    that i know of
    but a new psp barrack is being put up
    just on 899 in marinville that will
    probly hinder much bar hopping
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 12:15:44 (permalink)
    Sent off an email to the Army Corps at Kinzua dam to see what explainations they might have for the water temp rising and falling. Got this reply.

Mr. Crosby,
    Thank you for contacting the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers PittsburghDistrict. The resource manager at Kinzua provided the following explanation for thechange in water temps: The reason there is a difference in the water temperature is because of thedischarge from the Hydropower plant, and yes the water is cooler because ofthe elevation (in the lake) from where the water is drawn from for the hydropower. Actually the left side looking downstream from the dam where thepower plant discharge is cooler than the right side of the channel, which is dominated by the discharge from the dam itself. So there's warmer water on the left and cooler on the right when the plant discharges water downstream. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
    Sheila

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 17:32:39 (permalink)
    wonder what fish are up in that power plant lake

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 17:44:32 (permalink)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Dam More info on the dam. btw outfortrout, great pict.on the dam. sam
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/10 20:52:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Dam More info on the dam. btw outfortrout, great pict.on the dam. sam

So the Native Americans were moved to a reservation then forced to re-locate because the land was flooded for the dam and whatever land they had left was used for a four lane highway. Sorry to go off on a tangent but that's pretty horrible.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/11 00:07:49 (permalink)
    When the Gov.was building the dam, the Senaca Nation did protest with guns, trying to stop the construction,but were subdued again. Was pretty sad for them,but the dam has proven to be very valuable to most people down-stream. sam
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/11 00:24:01 (permalink)
    Pretty incredible that still generous enough to let us use their land. All the land like 20 thousand plus acres is owned by them
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/11 15:44:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys, I'm not going till the end of the month, I'm sure I'll have some more questions to ask.
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/29 02:03:00 (permalink)
    Welp. I'll be leaving Friday morning for a nice long weekend! thanks to everyone for all the tips and spots!

Any last minute tips or anything are welcome, I'll be swinging by the state store, any good drink ideas?

Also, may grab a few big swimbaits for below the spillway, good idea?

thanks folks!
    no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/29 11:21:42 (permalink)
    new beer called dog bite in 24oz can
    10 % alcohol, yu only need one
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/08/29 15:47:24 (permalink)
    Heh, I was thinking more along the lines of a good scotch or something.

Mike_pa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Kinzua And Surrounding Areas 2011/09/04 13:26:04 (permalink)
    Stopped at Kinzu to go boating yesterday.  we stopped and ate at the marina.  The food was terrible and so was the service.  We waited 2 hours to get our food.  The marina is in sad shape.  Just my 2 cents.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: