Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
streamfisher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/25 02:06:49 (permalink)

is this right?

Was fishing coolspring today and when we got back to the truck there was a note on my windshield that said "trout are stressed water temp 78 don't fish" I don't. Believe anyone should be doin this if you want to give me your opinion come find me

48 Replies Related Threads

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 06:11:14 (permalink)
    no laws against it i dont believe... we just had a musky tournament water was mid 80s... ya it prolly stresses the fish, sounds like someone needs to mind their own
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 09:03:54 (permalink)
    the message is correct... execution is matter of personal opinion

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 09:50:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807
    the message is correct... execution is matter of personal opinion

Agreed...and agreed.

During the "first day of trout/steelhead" interweb forum banter, someone always complains about somebody doing something they shouldn't. Invariably it is suggested that "Maybe they didn't know better and, rather than getting mad, you should have politely educated them."

Consider yourself educated. No harm, no foul. Have a great day.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3151
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 09:51:04 (permalink)
    Yea thats a coward move, but I wouldnt let it stop me from fishing
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 09:51:53 (permalink)
    If its a catch and release area; it would be wise to consider it since there is a high mortality rate at those temps. But just like kj said, the choice is yours and I agree that the guy who wrote the note should mhob.... tight lines
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 10:26:51 (permalink)
    i suspect you were fishing in the project area. maybe the person had his sunday shoes on and didn't want to come find you on the 1.2 miles of DLHA stream.
    you are allowed to fish these waters agreed. some have concerns about the high water temps and trout. once temps get over a certain temp. (pa fish commision has a sight about this) mortality rate will increase if they are not handled properly during these conditions. looks like he was just giving you a heads up not knowing who you are or your abilities.
    i see no harm and i wouldn't of been angry if someone left this on my vehicle during these hot days and water temps. i would have been targeting for the bass and perch in that creek and not the trout anyhow if it were me.

after reredaing the note and seeing he said "don't fish" i would say that is a little harsh.

an article i came across
    I have seen several large trout in the last few weeks caught and released only to watch them float by me down river dead as a door nail. Below are five tips you can use to help trout survive the summer.
    1. Fish early or late in the day when the water is cooler. The warmer the water the tougher the time that the trout have to survive (also the less they feed). Once the water temps hit 68 degrees most trout that are caught will die from the stress.
    2. Fish heavier rods and tippets so that fish can be landed quickly (I personally use a 5wt). I know that it is fun to fish a 3 weight, but once you fight a nice trout for 10 minutes in 64 degree water, he is as dead as if you had taken him home with you, even if he swims off when you release him he will often die in the next couple of hours. If you have a large fish on and have fought him a while and see that it is going to take longer to land him, break him off so that he can live to fight another day.
    3. Spend as much time reviving the fish as you spent fighting the fish. Hold the fish in the current with his head in the moving the water until he swims off on his own. Do not release the fish in the slow stagnant water, there is little to no oxygen in the slow water in the summer time.
    4. Use barbless flies, not only do they come out of you better, but you do not have to struggle with the fish as long to get the hook out. If you are struggling to get the fly out, clip your line and release the fish, he will get rid of the fly.
    5. Avoid prolonged hero shots, we all want a picture with us with that trophy trout, but we all would like to see him swim off after the battle is done. So keep the fish in the moving water until the camera person is focused and ready, lift the fish quickly for one photo and then release it as described above.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/07/25 11:12:19

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 11:00:40 (permalink)
    That person must be holier then thou. IMO, way out of bounds with the note and no spine to leave it. The few fish you may catch will have little to no affect on the stream population.Greed. How dare you catch his fish?....WF
    streamfisher
    New Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 12:29:00 (permalink)
    I don't believe we did any real harm to these few fishwe caught they never left the water and swam off on their own i do understand this persons concern with the high water temp i just would like to have talked to this person to know their thoughts
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 13:49:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: streamfisher

I don't believe we did any real harm to these few fishwe caught they never left the water and swam off on their own i do understand this persons concern with the high water temp i just would like to have talked to this person to know their thoughts

its probably better off you didn't talk to him streamer... great advice DT...
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 14:55:07 (permalink)
    Prolly the properitor of the area. I forget his name, but he's a big TU guy. Told me the same thing couple of summers ago.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 15:38:31 (permalink)
    I get this guys concern but I've also caught my fair share of trout up in the E.B Clarion. But its very cold but the guy is right but you seem well educated so the fish werent harmed. I also have faught a fish in summer at Buffalo for a while and he was there a week later and water temps have to be right around the same. So I feel that some of these laws are for the unorthodox fishing world who would rip the guts out just to get a hook back or something. Just my opinion
    KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 20:25:44 (permalink)
    They're just trout and most likely "non native", introduced species.
    Fish away, so what if a few of them perish............

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/25 21:11:27 (permalink)
    ROPEM & SMOKEM!!!!!
    WHO CARE'S GOOD CAT FISH BAIT!!!!!!!
    post edited by carpin06 - 2011/07/25 21:12:05
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 01:41:04 (permalink)
    Or most likely theyre fingerling stocked wild trout? He is fishing a Class A stream?
    streamfisher
    New Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 03:03:41 (permalink)
    These fish are stocked there,not native or fingerling fish but adult fish.I believe he thinks he is looking after TU's "investment" as they stock there also as yea we were in the DHALO area as were three other people and i saw far more fish than we caught so we didn't do the stream any harm
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 03:10:37 (permalink)
    at least the note didnt say i know what u did last summer lol
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8540
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 07:29:29 (permalink)
    Last year at the Clarion outing dt and I saw a few trout belly up floating pst us.
    Excess stress will take there toll. As dt stated...best to target bass,carp, any warm water fish.
    Hit below a dam where the water is cooler.

bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 07:43:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

i suspect you were fishing in the project area. maybe the person had his sunday shoes on and didn't want to come find you on the 1.2 miles of DLHA stream.
    you are allowed to fish these waters agreed. some have concerns about the high water temps and trout. once temps get over a certain temp. (pa fish commision has a sight about this) mortality rate will increase if they are not handled properly during these conditions. looks like he was just giving you a heads up not knowing who you are or your abilities.
    i see no harm and i wouldn't of been angry if someone left this on my vehicle during these hot days and water temps. i would have been targeting for the bass and perch in that creek and not the trout anyhow if it were me.

after reredaing the note and seeing he said "don't fish" i would say that is a little harsh.

an article i came across
    I have seen several large trout in the last few weeks caught and released only to watch them float by me down river dead as a door nail. Below are five tips you can use to help trout survive the summer.
    1. Fish early or late in the day when the water is cooler. The warmer the water the tougher the time that the trout have to survive (also the less they feed). Once the water temps hit 68 degrees most trout that are caught will die from the stress.
    2. Fish heavier rods and tippets so that fish can be landed quickly (I personally use a 5wt). I know that it is fun to fish a 3 weight, but once you fight a nice trout for 10 minutes in 64 degree water, he is as dead as if you had taken him home with you, even if he swims off when you release him he will often die in the next couple of hours. If you have a large fish on and have fought him a while and see that it is going to take longer to land him, break him off so that he can live to fight another day.
    3. Spend as much time reviving the fish as you spent fighting the fish. Hold the fish in the current with his head in the moving the water until he swims off on his own. Do not release the fish in the slow stagnant water, there is little to no oxygen in the slow water in the summer time.
    4. Use barbless flies, not only do they come out of you better, but you do not have to struggle with the fish as long to get the hook out. If you are struggling to get the fly out, clip your line and release the fish, he will get rid of the fly.
    5. Avoid prolonged hero shots, we all want a picture with us with that trophy trout, but we all would like to see him swim off after the battle is done. So keep the fish in the moving water until the camera person is focused and ready, lift the fish quickly for one photo and then release it as described above.

Exactly, kinda why I cringe when I see posts about using a 4 weight on the river, playing a trout that long in these temps stresses them save those 4 weights for the cooler waters of the brookie streams where they belong.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 12:48:28 (permalink)
    no matter how "right" you feel this guy is..

this is an abbresive and offensive way to deal with someone. Why doesn't the guy (who wants to inform people about the risks of fishing a TU project with water temps near 80) just put up a sign??

we occasionally see this kind of thing here as well. no courtesy/respect. Moreover, IMHO, one person really shouldn't have the right to tell the PUBLIC what to do with a PUBLIC resource.

and, usually if you come to people with some kind of unnecessary personal attack.. they are less likely to cooperate. Just sayin'

----------------

If you knew where the dude's house was, perhaps you could answer with a note saying,
    "well, no worries the fish was tasty. I think there's some left. Get yours before they're gone. TY"
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 14:33:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jolie
    this is an abbresive and offensive way to deal with someone. ...usually if you come to people with some kind of unnecessary personal attack.. they are less likely to cooperate.

seriously?
    thats what you consider "abbresive and offensive? "unnecessary personal attack"?
    a note on a windsheild?

sack up

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 14:57:12 (permalink)
    Thats a D-Bag move.

I'd like to see some more brown trout and rainbow trout floating belly up...

post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2011/07/26 15:05:29

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 14:57:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

this is an abbresive and offensive way to deal with someone. ...usually if you come to people with some kind of unnecessary personal attack.. they are less likely to cooperate.

seriously?
    .... "unnecessary personal attack"?
    a note on a windsheild?

yes. it is.

a sign says the same thing in a nicer way. thus..."unnecessary"
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 15:10:28 (permalink)

yes. it is.

a sign says the same thing in a nicer way. thus..."unnecessary"

Would it have been okay as long as they left a piece of candy or a flower with the note?
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 15:58:39 (permalink)
    Well, let me put it another way …

With a fishing rod in my hand and on public land/water there’s like only three people that have the right to tell me how or what to do in regards to fishing… the fish warden, yes… my wife and a close fishing friend.

To all the rest of you. I don’t Kare at all what you think. No one else has the right to tell that I can’t fish (or how to fish). If its by the book, legal and I want to do it, I will. This is my own time to relax and I’m not going to be bossed around by some busybody who wants to dictate when or how I should do it.

There is something about this the rubs me, very much, the wrong way. And it hinges on the last sentence “don’t fish”. You have the right to fish for public fish on public land, don’t you? There’s something SO anti-american about the idea that your going to pack up your rods and give up your paid for right to fish, just cause someone doesn’t want they’re precious trout caught (or killed). Stocked fish are public property and so long as you’ve paid your license.. you can kill 5 per day.

So I agree that a note on the windshield is say better than putting nails in the tires or spray painting “no fishing” across your hood… but its still rude.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 16:49:26 (permalink)
    epic rant

since when did common sense become "un-american"
    Its proven that high water temps can kill stress (hooked and played) fish... water temps 10* cooler than the day i question
    not knowing this is fine... now you know
    but knowing the harm you will do to the fishery... but doing it anyway... ignorant
    respect the resourse
    common sense

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 17:08:21 (permalink)
    What resource is that?  The fleet of white trucks?

If they want to try and put pelletheads in a section of C&R stream open to the public (year round) that they know will be encroaching/exceeding 80* during the summer, then perhaps they shouldn't stock it if they are concerned for the survival of the trout. 

I would be singing a different tune if the stream was capable of natural reproduction or had wild trout in it.

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2011/07/26 17:09:35
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 17:11:56 (permalink)
    They might stock more
    Just like the year before and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that 

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 17:17:45 (permalink)
    lol do the trout even make it over the winter... just wondering
    Eriefisherman69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: is this right? 2011/07/26 17:57:07 (permalink)

Well, let me put it another way …

With a fishing rod in my hand and on public land/water there’s like only three people that have the right to tell me how or what to do in regards to fishing… the fish warden, yes… my wife and a close fishing friend.

To all the rest of you. I don’t Kare at all what you think. No one else has the right to tell that I can’t fish (or how to fish). If its by the book, legal and I want to do it, I will. This is my own time to relax and I’m not going to be bossed around by some busybody who wants to dictate when or how I should do it.

There is something about this the rubs me, very much, the wrong way. And it hinges on the last sentence “don’t fish”. You have the right to fish for public fish on public land, don’t you? There’s something SO anti-american about the idea that your going to pack up your rods and give up your paid for right to fish, just cause someone doesn’t want they’re precious trout caught (or killed). Stocked fish are public property and so long as you’ve paid your license.. you can kill 5 per day.

So I agree that a note on the windshield is say better than putting nails in the tires or spray painting “no fishing” across your hood… but its still rude.

One thing thats more Rude is forcing yourself in front of or too close to an older couple on Elk

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: