Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5028
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/24 07:28:16 (permalink)

Erie paper article on SH

Blaze orange and camouflage soon could qualify as Sunday's finest in Pennsylvania.

A bill sponsored by State Rep. John Evans would give the Pennsylvania Game Commission authority to choose what hunting seasons, if any, would be legal on Sundays.

Sunday hunting has been banned since 1873 with the exception of coyotes, crows and foxes.

That regulation, and other blue laws, were created in a very different era to enforce religious standards. Many such blue laws have since been repealed, and Evans believes Sunday hunting should be next....

.......Ralph Martone, a New Castle resident who is northwestern Pennsylvania's representative to the Game Commission, was one of four members of the Board of Commissioners who supported a resolution backing the bill.

Martone, the board vice president, said his vote was determined by his roles as a teacher for the Shenango Area School district and adviser for the conservation club at Shenango High School.

"Saturday has become a part of the school week for many students involved in extracurriculars," Martone said. "Students need that extra day to get out and hunt, and that's what pushed me over the top."

The National Rifle Association backs the proposal and has joined 14 other organizations in the Sunday Hunting Coalition. Its aim is to remove restrictions on Sunday hunting in 11 states where they still exist.

There also are powerful forces aligned against Sunday hunting.

The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, representing 54,000 members in 54 counties, is largely opposed to a regulatory change.

"It's a gamut of reasons, but the overriding reason is to have one day a week free of hunters," said Mark O'Neill, the bureau's media relations director. "Farmers, who traditionally work every day, look at Sunday as a day they can cut back on their work."

O'Neill also questions the findings of the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee's 6-year-old study.

View from the trail

Keith Klos is president of the North Country Trail Association's chapter in the Allegheny National Forest, where hiking, camping, boating and other activities are as popular as hunting. The North Country Trail, which rises and falls through seven states, from New York to North Dakota, cuts a 300-mile path through Pennsylvania that loosely outlines the northwestern corner of the state.

Klos, a Tidioute resident who hunts but also enjoys nonhunting outdoor activities, is opposed to Sunday hunting, as is the Allegheny National Forest chapter of the NCT.

"From a hiker's point of view, I don't agree with it. I like to be able to get out there without the threat of hunters being out there," Klos said. "For the recreationalists, it's strictly a safety issue. I know 99 percent of the hunters are safe hunters, and I'm not afraid of them, but there is that 1 percent where accidents happen, and that's what I'm afraid of."

"As a hunter, I don't want to see it at all," he said. "Our deer herd has been decimated, there's nothing here anymore, and our local economy suffers because of it. I'd like to see two or three years of no doe hunting to build the herd back up."

View from the pew
O'Neill said the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau's opposition dovetails with the original intent of the blue laws. Many farmers look at Sunday as a day of worship and rest, and many communities place high value on such mores.

The Rev. Ronny Dower, interim pastor at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Fairview Township, said he isn't personally opposed to Sunday hunting, though he wasn't speaking for the church or its congregation.

Dower, a resident of Zanesville, Ohio, said the push for legalization is a sign of the times.

"I grew up in a day where there were blue laws, and we always had the stores closed on Sunday," said Dower, a longtime hunter. "It's almost a time in which Christians don't hold that day as holy as it was in the past, so to be able to restrict the activities of others based on the model we have, I don't know how that's going to benefit people.

The Rev. Gene Kennett is the founding pastor of Erie's Interfaith Worship Center in Erie, one of 137 church missions he oversees in eight states. Like Dower, Kennett is a hunter who doesn't see a problem with Sunday hunting, as long as hunters continue to attend church.

"If you're going to hunt on Sunday, take your devotion with you, and by that I mean make sure you went to church," Kennett said. "If you're going to hunt, make sure you're in church on Sunday morning and hunt in the afternoon. I see nothing wrong with that."

View from the farm

Hunters who celebrate the idea of being afield on Sundays might have a hard time finding land to hunt.

The Game Commission owns and manages more than 1.4 million acres of publicly accessible state game land. State forests, the Allegheny National Forest and some state parks also allow hunting. But an estimated 80 percent of huntable land in Pennsylvania is privately held, requiring permission to hunt. And landowners have threatened to lock out hunters entirely if Sunday hunting is approved.

Evans said he doesn't believe the threat of full-time posting of private land will become a problem.

"A great many of them saying that don't allow it now," Evans said. "The same threats were heard in Ohio and New York when they were debating the same thing, and after the fact it was a very slight difference."

O'Neill said his understanding of the situation is somewhat different.

"Every farmer or landowner will have to make that decision themselves," he said. "Having said that, a lot of farmers are telling us if this goes through, they're not going to let them hunt their land, ever."

Mark Muir owns the 56-acre Muirstead Farm, a beef cow and sheep farm on Route 6 between Union City and Corry. He doesn't prohibit hunting on his land, but he said approval of the bill would be an invasion of privacy that would lead him to lock out hunters seven days a week.

View from the field

Mark Kotyuk, a Canonsburg resident who hunts in Tionesta, doesn't spend as much time in the field as he would like because of his job as engineering project manager at Harsco Metals Americas in Seven Fields, near Mars.

"I'd like the opportunity for a couple more hours to pursue the sport," Kotyuk said. "For a guy like me to be able to go to Tionesta and have that Sunday, even if I only get a half a day hunting, is worth it."

Kotyuk, 56, said he believes Pennsylvania would benefit from Sunday hunting because the Game Commission's nearly decade-old antler restriction program has created trophy deer that hunters want to chase. Kotyuk, a former Erie resident killed a 234-pound, eight-point buck in 2010.

Kudo's to Mr DiBACCO for trying to write such a well round article.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

89 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 07:46:28 (permalink)
    This article can't be correct. The issue is all about who has regulatory control and has nothing to do with Sunday hunting. DPMS said so himself.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3521
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 09:41:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

This article can't be correct. The issue is all about who has regulatory control and has nothing to do with Sunday hunting. DPMS said so himself.

This makes the article correct. "A bill sponsored by State Rep. John Evans would give the Pennsylvania Game Commission authority to choose what hunting seasons, if any, would be legal on Sundays. "  Now,within the text are exampes of the two seperate issues beiing confused..

It is a good article that has balance.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/07/24 09:46:32

My rifle is a black rifle
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 09:44:32 (permalink)
    It seems that Keith the hiker fears hunters yet engages in a recreational activity that is more dangerous than hunting? Then throws the deer decimation arguement out there. 

Then we have Mark the farmer that feels his pirvacy will be invaded.  Wonder if he feels it is invaded during the 5 months that hunting see great particpation 6 days of the week? This is not a lanowners rights issue as some want folks to believe. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/07/24 09:45:17

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 10:23:50 (permalink)
    Then throws the deer decimation arguement out there

And the problem with that is what? For or against Sunday hunting, the man has a point like it or not.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 10:39:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Then throws the deer decimation arguement out there

And the problem with that is what? For or against Sunday hunting, the man has a point like it or not.

Because the bill doesn't add a Sunday to deer seasons. 

It remains a highly mis-understood issue.  Lets face it, many hunters don't follow this stuff that closely. The majority that I run into on a daily basis at work do not understand the in and outs of the Sunday hunting issue. No reason to not believe that is the case everywhere.

Heck, had a guy the other day telling me about the AR being lowered to 3 points to a side in 2A. When I asked if bought his license yet and read the digest, he said he did but he wastold that a buck only had to have three points on a side this fall.

As I have said many times, the discussion for what, when are where will be a vigorous one when the time comes.  Right know, that is not what the bill is about.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 10:58:30 (permalink)
    Here's the part that SCARES me..... this is a politicians remember.... he may not be the most hunter friendly guy in the world and this makes me thinig he may not be..

Martone, the board vice president, said his vote was determined by his roles as a teacher for the Shenango Area School district and adviser for the conservation club at Shenango High School.

"Saturday has become a part of the school week for many students involved in extracurriculars," Martone said. "Students need that extra day to get out and hunt, and that's what pushed me over the top."

a teacher and a conservationist .... notice he does NOT refer to HIMSELF as a hunter wanting Sunday hunting...

then he goes on to throw in the youth will take advantage of it BULL... youth as we all know are not interested in hunting ... now an extra day is not going to make them run to the local store and get a hunting license... BULL !!!!

Everyone here even complains about lack of game for lost hunters ..... add a day to kill more.. and that's going to make populations grow ??? AGAIN BULL !!!!

This Sunday hunting wil be the beginning of the end of Pa hunting.. less hunters, less open land, less game .. the antis, bird watchers, foresters, etc will LOVE IT !!!!
    We all know that the extra youth hunts, mentored youth ideas etc are helping a little but again sales of those licenses are not BOOMING !!!!

Maronte is (IMHO) "playing to" his audience... foresters, conservatists, teachers and has little respect or concern about the PGC or hunting ... IMHO
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/24 11:02:51
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 11:48:55 (permalink)
    "Because the bill doesn't add a Sunday to deer seasons. "

No, the game commission will. Same net result. the gameless commission isnt interested in it for snipe, nor are most of the hunters that support it, the HUGE majority of which hunt DEER. And if you think most support this bill because they want pgc to have the say...without them actually taking actions, then i think you are seriously mistaken. And pgc not taking advantage of the biggest deer reduction tool to come along in some time, that they didnt already have....handed them on a silver platter? They will refrain? Yeah, thats gonna happen! lmao.

It remains a highly mis-understood issue.

I think its well understood despite the attempts to decieve about intent.

Lets face it, many hunters don't follow this stuff that closely. The majority that I run into on a daily basis at work do not understand the in and outs of the Sunday hunting issue

If they know anything about recent history of deer management and pgc then thats about all they need to know.

I agree many are uneducated on many of these issues....But that goes for both those that support Sunday hunting and those that do not. Not sure it really matters. Id say both you and i are well versed on all this yet we still hold differing opinions.

It also sounded like the guy complaining about the effects to deer already knows plenty.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/07/24 12:11:58
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 12:03:54 (permalink)
    As for Martone, I have been privy to some email interactions he has had with others, and to say im not impressed with him or his views would be a gross understatement. For now I'll just leave it at that. But given his views, i am not surprise one iota that he is looking for yet another way to get more deer killed. He is definately a staunch supporter of the antideer agenda and believe that is his number one goal with sunday hunting support and have no doubt he and others on the board would seek deer season implementation. And anyone thinking that Roe, Dubrock and Rosenberry wouldnt be interested in knocking back some sabbath day does, has been living under a rock for the last decade.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/07/24 12:08:32
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 20:39:03 (permalink)
    And = Here's an article from a local paper (DuBois) ==

Sunday hunting could produce no hunting at all on private lands
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011

State Rep. John Evans of Erie appears to be unbespectacled in his Web page portrait. He might wear contact lenses. If he does, surely they are rose-colored.
    How else to explain this impossibly Pollyannaish quote from Sunday's Patriot-News in Harrisburg, in a Don Gilliland story about the state-level debate over allowing hunting on Sundays?
    "If you don't want Sunday hunting on your land," Evans said, "all you have to do is post your land 'No Sunday Hunting.' It's that simple."
    And just who, pray tell, is going to enforce those postings?
    State police? Hah. They'll say it's a Game Commission matter.
    The Game Commission? Double Hah. Dead deer lie around for days, for weeks sometimes, before the Game Commission or PennDOT do anything about them.
    The reality is that farmers and others who now open their lands to Monday-Saturday hunting are vehemently opposed to Sunday hunting for reasons ranging from religious principles to the simple desire to have one day a week free from "Bam!" and pickup trucks blocking driveways, strangers flouting the get-permission principle, etc.
    They won't post "No Sunday Hunting," because getting it enforced is next to impossible. If enforcement does occur, the penalties are wrist-slaps. And let's remember, the trespassers who brazenly ignore "Posted against hunting" signs are all carrying deadly weapons. Confrontation and demands that the intruders leave do carry a real risk of escalation, and it only takes one shot to leave someone eternally dead.
    Those among us who object will simply post our land against all hunting. That prohibition does get enforced, because there are seven days a week in which to enforce it.
    Rep. Evans cites the overly optimistic forecasts of the National Rifle Association and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. To listen to them, we might be gulled into thinking that our taxes would actually go down as out-of-state hunters shower billions in bullion upon our touristy marketers.
    Won't happen.
    Instead, want-to-hunt visitors will have the disagreeable experiences of having no land on which to hunt.
    The Legislature should reject the idea of Sunday hunting or restrict it to state-owned lands.
    - Denny Bonavita
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 20:44:21 (permalink)
    See it's not just my local politicians ===

Bureau bashes Sunday hunting
    By Rick Dandes

SEVEN SPRINGS — The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau is taking a stand against Sunday hunting.

Sunday, farmer say, is their one day of rest. They don’t want hunters traipsing around, making a racket, knocking on their doors and seeking permission to use their land.

They made their views known Thursday night before the Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee during a public hearing at the Seven Springs Resort in Somerset County.

“Most farmers put in long hours of hard work every day, but they tend to relax their work schedules on Sunday to spend more time with family,” said Nila Cogan, a vegetable grower, who also is a member of Pennsylvania Farm Bureau’s state board of directors. “While I appreciate hunters and the role they play in controlling wildlife populations, my family and I do not want hunters disturbing the one day of peace and quiet we try to preserve in our lives.

“Having hunters knocking on the door on Sunday without notice can be more frustrating than telemarketers calling at dinner time, especially when it interrupts farm work or mealtime.”

The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau is the state’s largest farm organization, with a volunteer membership of more than 50,000 farm and rural families.

According to Farm Bureau spokesman Mark O’Neill, farmers and other private landowners control about 80 percent of the huntable land in Pennsylvania and their concerns should hold a great deal of weight in any decision on expanding hunting opportunities.

“Farmers do not understand why anyone would want to upset or alienate landowners that give them free access to hunt Monday through Saturday by trying to push through proposals to allow Sunday hunting,” O’Neill said. “I’ve heard many farmers say they will post their land, forbidding hunting any time, if hunting on Sunday is allowed.”

Barry Beck, who owns land near Beavertown, said he wholeheartedly agrees with the Farm Bureau’s stance.

“I allow people on my land to hunt and fish,” the 67-year-old farmer said. “But there are people who take advantage of my good nature and hunt on the Lord’s day. I don’t much appreciate it, but I usually let things slide.”

Many hunters, outdoor enthusiasts and others seeking recreational opportunities oppose hunting on Sunday, O’Neill said.

“I hear about the perceived economic benefit to the state by having Sundays available for hunting,” he said, “but they ignore the economic benefit of all the other groups and individuals who are hiking, horseback riding, biking or just enjoying nature on Sundays. Why should a particular interest that has use of the land six days a week outweigh the interest of others who only want one day a week without the concern of hunters sharing the woods?

Some proponents of Sunday hunting refer to the prohibition as being the last of what they refer to as “arcane blue laws” that should be changed to fit societal views of today, but O’Neill pointed out a key difference.

“Retail establishments sought the change to increase sales and profits, while farmers oppose the change and they receive no economic benefit from being open to hunting on Sundays,” O’Neill said.

Two bills in 2009 aimed to allow Sunday hunting: One introduced by state Rep. Marc Gergely, of Allegheny County, would have cleared the way for all Sunday hunting. Another, by state Rep. Edward Staback, of Lackawanna County, called for archery hunting on Sundays.

No bills have been introduced on the issue in 2011, but Farm Bureau officials said they will oppose any legislation that would turn the authority to decide if, when and how an expansion of Sunday hunting will occur over to the Pennsylvania Game Commission from the state General Assembly.

“We believe the General Assembly and the governor should be responsible for answering the question of expanding Sunday hunting, because the decision is more about changing the way of life in the commonwealth, such as religious convictions, concerns related to property rights and the ability of millions of Pennsylvanians to enjoy outdoor nature in peace and quiet on Sundays,” O’Neill said. “In addition, any transfer of the decision to the Game Commission will be seen by many citizens as a maneuver by the General Assembly.

What is most frustrating to farmers, O’Neill believes, is the arrogance of the assumption that somehow privately-owned land should be available to hunters seven days a week with no recognition that farms are not only privately-owned businesses, but family homes are located on the land as well.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/24 20:45:06
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 20:56:27 (permalink)
    Last one for awhile ==
    but I found this one really interesting because that finance and budget committee which some think is so great is mentioned ...

Public Opinion Online

Apparently, 103 days out of every year -- including 18 Saturdays -- just isn't enough for some Pennsylvania deer hunters.

That's the number of days deer hunting is allowed each year in Pennsylvania, but some hunters and a bunch of firearm and sportsmens' lobbies are still trying to legalize deer hunting on Sundays.
    The state House Game and Fisheries Committee conducted the first of three public hearings Thursday at Seven Springs Resort to air the pros and cons of expanding Pennsylvania hunting to Sundays.

Opposition to the change came from the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau and the Humane Society of the United States.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, National Rifle Association, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs were also invited to testify.

Joel Rotz, Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, echoed our long standing position that six days a week for hunting is enough.

Rotz said 80 percent of landowners -- mostly farmers -- oppose Sunday hunting, according to a 2005 survey performed by the Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee.

"What's most frustrating to farmers in this debate is the arrogance of the assumption that privately owned land should be available to hunters seven days a week with no recognition to the fact that farms are businesses as well as family homes," he said.

And aside from the nuisances encountered by landowners, there are also valid concerns from other outdoor recreation enthusiasts. We hope, for instance, that hikers, bicyclists and equestrians and their representative organizations are also invited to weigh in on these hearings.
    Hunters are not the only outdoor enthusiasts to consider here.

As usual, the impetus for the years-long debate is money. The primary sponsor of the legislation in question, Rep. John R. Evans, R-Erie, claimed that Sunday tourism dollars will be lost to Pennsylvania, because of Sunday hunting in bordering Ohio and New York.

But that's a very small number of people and a comparatively tiny geographic range to be considered much of an economic development opportunity. No, the economic development angle is mostly just cover for the firearm lobbyists who chafe at being told when they can and cannot use their guns.
    Well, tough. It's only one day.

If six days a week can't provide enough chances to bag that deer, maybe the window of opportunity isn't the real problem.
    -- By Matthew Major, opinion editor and member of Public Opinion's editorial board

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 21:28:09 (permalink)
    Commented on this one before but it deserves another mention. 

"O’Neill believes, is the arrogance of the assumption that somehow privately-owned land should be available to hunters seven days a week with no recognition that farms are not only privately-owned businesses, but family homes are located on the land as well."

That just may be the most arrogant statement yet on the issue.  One that is completely false. Privately owned farms are only available to a hunter if that is the wish of the lanowner.  Few hunters arrogantly believe that they should have the right to hunt private property on Saturday, Wednesday or Sunday. 

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 21:28:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

And = Here's an article from a local paper (DuBois) ==

Sunday hunting could produce no hunting at all on private lands
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011

State Rep. John Evans of Erie appears to be unbespectacled in his Web page portrait. He might wear contact lenses. If he does, surely they are rose-colored.
    How else to explain this impossibly Pollyannaish quote from Sunday's Patriot-News in Harrisburg, in a Don Gilliland story about the state-level debate over allowing hunting on Sundays?
    "If you don't want Sunday hunting on your land," Evans said, "all you have to do is post your land 'No Sunday Hunting.' It's that simple."
    And just who, pray tell, is going to enforce those postings?
    State police? Hah. They'll say it's a Game Commission matter.
    The Game Commission? Double Hah. Dead deer lie around for days, for weeks sometimes, before the Game Commission or PennDOT do anything about them.
    The reality is that farmers and others who now open their lands to Monday-Saturday hunting are vehemently opposed to Sunday hunting for reasons ranging from religious principles to the simple desire to have one day a week free from "Bam!" and pickup trucks blocking driveways, strangers flouting the get-permission principle, etc.
    They won't post "No Sunday Hunting," because getting it enforced is next to impossible. If enforcement does occur, the penalties are wrist-slaps. And let's remember, the trespassers who brazenly ignore "Posted against hunting" signs are all carrying deadly weapons. Confrontation and demands that the intruders leave do carry a real risk of escalation, and it only takes one shot to leave someone eternally dead.
    Those among us who object will simply post our land against all hunting. That prohibition does get enforced, because there are seven days a week in which to enforce it.
    Rep. Evans cites the overly optimistic forecasts of the National Rifle Association and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. To listen to them, we might be gulled into thinking that our taxes would actually go down as out-of-state hunters shower billions in bullion upon our touristy marketers.
    Won't happen.
    Instead, want-to-hunt visitors will have the disagreeable experiences of having no land on which to hunt.
    The Legislature should reject the idea of Sunday hunting or restrict it to state-owned lands.
    - Denny Bonavita

That's not an article Trout, it's an editorial.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 21:32:20 (permalink)
    Doc,

Was this "Denny Bonavita" a article, editorial or letter to the editor?
    post edited by dpms - 2011/07/24 21:33:18

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 21:40:24 (permalink)
    Trout don't know the difference.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 21:51:26 (permalink)
    I could care less about the difference tull .. many local folks read it,

Including Senator Scarnati who pointed it out to me...

Gene ==

it was an editorial by the editor of the Courier-Express on Wednesday...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/24 21:52:21
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/24 22:04:35 (permalink)
    It will come down to $$$$

If more $$$$ can be had by Sunday hunting, they will pass it.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 06:46:55 (permalink)

Public Opinion Online

"Apparently, 103 days out of every year -- including 18 Saturdays -- just isn't enough for some Pennsylvania deer hunters.

That's the number of days deer hunting is allowed each year in Pennsylvania, but some hunters and a bunch of firearm and sportsmens' lobbies are still trying to legalize deer hunting on Sundays."

The 103 days of deer hunting availability is correct, but a tad misleading.  If my cipherin is correct, using page 11 of the PA hunting digest and a calendar, 35 of these 103 days are only available in WMUs 2B, 5C, & 5D, and not state-wide. So for the vast majority of deer hunters, there are 68 days of available deer hunting, unless you hold tags for these 3 WMUs.
    post edited by pikepredator2 - 2011/07/26 06:51:32
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 07:28:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pikepredator2

Public Opinion Online

"Apparently, 103 days out of every year -- including 18 Saturdays -- just isn't enough for some Pennsylvania deer hunters.

That's the number of days deer hunting is allowed each year in Pennsylvania, but some hunters and a bunch of firearm and sportsmens' lobbies are still trying to legalize deer hunting on Sundays."

The 103 days of deer hunting availability is correct, but a tad misleading.  If my cipherin is correct, using page 11 of the PA hunting digest and a calendar, 35 of these 103 days are only available in WMUs 2B, 5C, & 5D, and not state-wide. So for the vast majority of deer hunters, there are 68 days of available deer hunting, unless you hold tags for these 3 WMUs.

And if you are not an archery hunter, which 70% of PA hunters are not, the number of days shrinks dramatically.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 08:59:47 (permalink)
       When that Bonavita guy writes stuff you may be well advised to ignore it- He has well versed ANTI all over him.
    Despite an article that SOUNDS middle of the road for the most part he couldnt help himself saying stuff bout hunters with 'deadly weapons' and the potential  result of confrontation being someone 'eternally dead'. BTW thats called MURDER.
       The message is clear- confront a Sunday hunter ya might get murdered.
      Thats clear ANTI in anybodys book- just perpetuating the myth of those crazies out there carrying guns.
    Same old same old-- I dont have anything against hunters buttt----what if- what if-what if-- they always resort to it. Whenever decent contradictions may fail they quickly resort to  Hunters being unpredictable and dangerous.
    I much prefer to hear out folks who have decent opinions on any subject- wether they agree with me or not-those rabble rousers  always have a hidden  AGENDA.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/26 09:14:01
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 09:48:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

The message is clear- confront a Sunday hunter ya might get murdered.
    Thats clear ANTI in anybodys book- just perpetuating the myth of those crazies out there carrying guns.

\
    A keen observation.  The angle that the expansion of Sunday hunting is somehow dangerous to outdoor recreationalists should be a non-starter.  The fact is most of the outdoor recreational activites that are not-hunting are more dangerous. 

The longer the dabate goes on, the longer a platform exists for the antis to spread theri venom.  The issue is not going away. Will only grow with time.  The time is now for concerned parties to working towards something that we can all move forward on.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 12:51:57 (permalink)
    Thanks DPMS-
       I dont hate ANTIS just their tactics- over the years they have learned that they get more attention trying to sound like they are just trying to be nice and cooperative. BUT they always show their ignorance and real objectives with the FACTS they try and push out for readers consumption.
        How many times do we hear about all the deer layin around the woods with their heads cut off by 'trophy hunters' and all the Deer out there just shot and allowed to run off by hunters in general.
       They give the impression we are too  ignorant to follow up shots and track our prey and they show THEIR ignorance when they dont know the whole chest is usually needed for a head mount.
       How often have we hunters who spend so much time in the woods seeking Deer found these things? ANTIS claim they see this stuff all the time while out hiking- Liars.
      Problem is that non hunters and Urban folks read this stuff over and over and it becomes true in their minds. And then they vote.
        Just for the heck of it would love to know how many 'landowners' on your stats down there have ' huntable' property as opposed to those who have an agenda and piled on the survey. Does not matter what publication the survey came out in - these guys will find it and try and get involved to fit their agenda.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/26 12:58:58
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 13:11:11 (permalink)
    Dont mean to monopolize but gotta throw out a true story-
        Coupla years ago in one of Ct's most read papers a popular regular on staff writer had a story bout the outdoors and hunting.
        She started off by saying her family always hunted and she married a hunter and so on for a few paragraphs. She had nothing against hunting and understood it cause she had been around it all her life--Started off sounding good and I was pleasantly  surprised  cause most CT writers seem a bit on the 'very liberal' somewhat Anti side.
        Then said how her husband had thought better of it and quit hunting. But that on their regular weekend hikes they had simply found so many wounded deer that the Husband was forced to go out and get a handgun permit and pistol.  Just so they could do the decent thing and put 'all' the wounded suffering deer they came across on their hikes  out of their misery.
        Seemed obvious that non hunters are the good guys and hunters were----
      Do have to explain what the hunters were  to all you idiotic blood thirsty slobs who hunt?
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/07/26 13:18:04
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 14:20:03 (permalink)
    When that Bonavita guy writes stuff you may be well advised to ignore it- He has well versed ANTI all over him

Sorry RG but you got that one dead wrong. The man grew up and lived in rural America and worked at the local newspaper before moving on to bigger things. I think he hunts, he owns more guns than I do, he lives on a small farm the last I knew, and will shoot unwanted pets you try to drop off near his house. He just tells it as he sees it and apparently has a big problem with landowners being pressured to allow Sunday hunting by making them out to be the bad guy. He just happens to have a job where he can make his feelings known in a larger venue than most. Anti hunting he is not----Anti big government telling him what to do---maybe
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 14:29:55 (permalink)
    And he says 'confrontation' with a Sunday hunter could leave ya 'eternally dead".
       Hey -his words not mine. Never heard bout argumentative fishermen runnin around hooking people or pole vaulters impalin ya on  the pole ETC ETC---
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 14:50:28 (permalink)
    And he says 'confrontation' with a Sunday hunter could leave ya 'eternally dead".

A bit over the top but factually correct. An irate landowner and a man with a gun. it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. As I said, he is not anti hunting but apparently has strong feelings about landowner rights as do many and not just the farmers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 15:01:43 (permalink)
    This is just one of many articles on the issue but it does inclued the results of the poll conducted by this newspaper.

landowners against sportsmen and women

Published: Sunday, July 03, 2011, 4:36 AM

By Kurt Bresswein | The Express-Times
    Follow

ShareEmailPrint

Pennsylvania lawmakers have tried before to lift the state’s 138-year-old prohibition on Sunday hunting, but now they have the state Game Commission behind the proposal.

The commission in a split vote last week endorsed allowing hunting on Sundays, a proposal that pits landowners against sportsmen and women. Local lawmakers say they’ve heard more voices opposed to the idea than in support.

Should Pennsylvania lift the ban on Sunday hunting?

Yes 40.9%

No 59.1%

Return To PollShare This

“It’s a very polarizing issue,” said state Rep. Joe Emrick, R-Northampton, a member of the House Game and Fisheries Committee. “And the feedback that I’m getting from most hunters and hunters in my district is that they are opposed to it, surprisingly.”

The committee heard strong opposition to the change from the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau during a June 9 hearing in Somerset County.

“Why should a particular interest that has use of the land six days a week outweigh the interest of others who only want one day a week without the concern of hunters sharing the woods?” asked Nila Cogan, a greenhouse owner and vegetable grower who is a member of the bureau’s state board of directors.

Landowners could end up posting more of their land against hunting if the change goes through, Emrick fears.

“We don’t want to inadvertently hurt many hunters’ opportunities to hunt because we pass Sunday hunting and all the landowners post their land,” said Emrick, who described himself as an “avid outdoorsman.” “Sometimes laws have unintended consequences.”

Split vote on repeal

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners on Tuesday voted 4-3, with one abstention, to support the bill before the Game and Fisheries Committee that would repeal the Sunday ban. It is one of Pennsylvania’s so-called blue laws that at one time barred retail stores from opening on Sundays and prohibited the sale of alcohol on Sundays.

The Game Commission can’t repeal the ban itself because it dates to an 1873 decision by the Legislature, commission spokesman Jerry Feaser said. The commission wasn’t created until 1895.

As it is now, only coyotes, foxes and crows can be hunted on Sundays in Pennsylvania, Feaser said. Trappers can also clear and reset traps. Private shooting grounds permit hunting on Sundays as well.

Forty-three other states already permit Sunday hunting. Among the holdouts is New Jersey, where there is no effort afoot to lift the ban, Garden State Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Ragonese said.

Commissioners, in a resolution, point to a number of benefits from the repeal, including:
    •A doubling of chances for youth to hunt during the school year and for hunting club members to take to the field.
    •An opportunity to reverse the decline in license sales and revenue in recent decades and the expectation of increased out-of-state licenses.

Financial benefits seen

The financial benefits of the change are projected to include $629 million in additional spending and the creation of 5,300 new jobs, resulting in $18 million in additional sales and income tax, the resolution states.

“This doesn’t mean Sunday hunting is coming,” Feaser said. “What it means is the game commission has an official position supporting it.”

Emrick said he doubts the repeal, if it comes to a vote, would come in time for the 2011-12 season.

State Rep. Marcia Hahn, also R-Northampton and a member of the Game and Fisheries Committee, said she surveyed residents about the change on her website and the results were 62 percent of respondents opposed.

“I did speak to a lot (of hunters) in my district,” Hahn said. “They are against it because of the farmers in that area are against Sunday hunting.”

She has asked the committee chairman, Rep. John Evans, R-Crawford/Erie, who introduced House Bill 1760 to repeal the Sunday ban, to schedule a public hearing in Northampton County.

“I would be a no vote” if hunters oppose the idea, Hahn said. “Hopefully we’ll be able to get to the bottom of it at that hearing and find out how they feel.”

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 15:13:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info 10-
       Was wondering how that poll had been worded- it was as straight forward as ya get.
      If they did one here in Urbania asking bout outlawing hunting it would be bout 90% to outlaw it.
       Even 40% is a good number IMHO these days. Like the license sales most all over indicate -we are in a withering minority.
       My favorite was when Canada outlawed Bear  Hunting a few years ago- left hunters and outfitters high and dry just before the season- They changed it back the next year. They admitted it was a case of big City Urban population outvoting the Rural minority. Fortunately (for now) common sense and Game management professionals prevailed.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Erie paper article on SH 2011/07/26 15:18:43 (permalink)
    We have Sunday hunting now in Pa. Why should the sportsman be dictated as what specie that can and cannot hunt? No different than bars, stores, strip clubs, and every other business open on Sunday. Pa hunters should have a choice.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: