Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above)

Author
DaGman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/15 11:21:01 (permalink)

Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above)

Hey guys, will be up in cook forest later in the week & "was" looking forward to fishing the clarion (via canoe "probably") but see the good 'ole weekly forecast has our number 1 nemesis (RAIN/Scattered showers) mentioned every single day. So with that said, the clarion will probably be blown out by the time i get up there later this week, so last time i was up there 2 yrs ago we scouted a lil of toms run, from the side of the road where the park rangers office is about maybe a half-mile up to also across the road on the other side where the big pavilion is with the big parking lot. Most likely if the weather holds to it's predicted pattern, it's lookin like i'd probably be better off hittin toms run & workin some of the holes, although if conditions are permissable may also try either still canoe-fishing or even bank fishing? Most likely i'll just be using worms, salmon eggs, power bait & "maybe" a few small spinners. Just read in the sunday outdoors section that it's going to be stocked towards the end of the week too. Any hints/tips???

28 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 12:32:57 (permalink)
    i was in cooksburg and around sunday afternoon. toms run, maple creek and even clear creek was totaly unfishable. chocolate, fast and flooded.
    not sure how long it will take to drop and clear up being rain is still in the forcast.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 16:11:02 (permalink)
    I take it then so was the clarion as well? Not "any" holes or pockets fishable, not even around obstructions/current breaks???
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 16:33:34 (permalink)
    no,no,no. the water was on land. between trees ect. if no more heavy downpours,  Toms Run may still be a little high but should clear up quickly as with clear creek.
    the clarion was muddy high also. it didn't rain much today.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 17:29:38 (permalink)
    Forget the river.. ... was there today... see my notes in the May 16th fishing thread.....
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 22:48:18 (permalink)
    Before you go you can check out this graph. It'll give you an idea of what you're getting into.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?03029500
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 22:57:15 (permalink)
    outfor trout..

good point .. that's a good link to have in favorites for anyone interested in the Clarion...

As I have posted on my board the river has been high all spring.. the graph on that link shows last Thursday and Friday being the lowest in awhile and I was there on Thursday and caught fish even in that 3-5pm dead time.. too bad I had to work Friday it was even lower...
    then the rains came AGAIN !!!
    SCampbells88
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/16 23:42:19 (permalink)
    stop crying... the rain is good. we are being blessed with a year like that of 2 seasons ago. Trout will fish into late June at the least. I'm stoked. You'll just have to buy some berkely rubber nymphs instead of those crawlers since the trout won't want that smelly goo.

you wanna buy my canon rebel xt doc? You'll be publishing pics in no time. seriously.. it's for sale. I know you got a few hundred laying around.
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 09:03:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Forget the river.. ... was there today... see my notes in the May 16th fishing thread.....

I was "kinda figuring this" but thought MAYBE it would be high but NOT THAT HIGH to still be able to fish some pockets or eddies around the boulders/wood, etc, etc. Oh well, it definately looks like "if" i do go out even for an hour or two (due to the rain as usual) it looks as if toms run will be it. Any place up there close sell live minnows? Last time i was up there i couldn't find anything but crawlers.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 10:02:47 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that they sell minnows at "The Farmers Inn" near Sigel on route 949...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 10:20:56 (permalink)
    you wanna buy my canon rebel xt doc? You'll be publishing pics in no time. seriously.. it's for sale.

ARE YOU KIDDING ===== ???

After reading and being on the receiving end of your bull I would not buy a newspaper from you...
    I doubt anyone here would be interested or trust you ...

BTW.. I've been creating a webpage and message board for over 10 years with photos and it's just this one site that folks like you and a few others feel the urge to comment on the quality of the photos ..

which just takes away from a site because folks do not want to post or share their photos then ...but then again, keeping this site from being what it could be and a place to bash others about anything and everything is on your agenda.. not mine... you think it's fun ....

most "good folks" just like looking at photos and realize this is not some quality photo contest site... I have never seen a photo I did not enjoy..

Maybe it's those "drugs" you take that have you being such an ##^$%&*^%@#, but at least it let's you show us all what you're all about and gives us something to laugh at when someone posts that you are really a "nice guy"
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/17 10:22:33
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 11:58:18 (permalink)
    Do they sell mealworms or maggots nearby? I usually stop at that big store that sells gas right by the bridge with the canoe rental right there (can't remember the name of the road nor canoe rental place,sorry).
    SCampbells88
    New Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 12:52:25 (permalink)

you wanna buy my canon rebel xt doc? You'll be publishing pics in no time. seriously.. it's for sale.

ARE YOU KIDDING ===== ???

After reading and being on the receiving end of your bull I would not buy a newspaper from you...
    I doubt anyone here would be interested or trust you ...

BTW.. I've been creating a webpage and message board for over 10 years with photos and it's just this one site that folks like you and a few others feel the urge to comment on the quality of the photos ..

which just takes away from a site because folks do not want to post or share their photos then ...but then again, keeping this site from being what it could be and a place to bash others about anything and everything is on your agenda.. not mine... you think it's fun ....

most "good folks" just like looking at photos and realize this is not some quality photo contest site... I have never seen a photo I did not enjoy..

Maybe it's those "drugs" you take that have you being such an ##^$%&*^%@#, but at least it let's you show us all what you're all about and gives us something to laugh at when someone posts that you are really a "nice guy"

lol... right.  So they fish with me, but don't trust me... if you only knew how much fly equipment i've passed on along the stream, i doubt you speak as you are.

I'm sorry if you think it's my agenda, but it's not.  i'm simply giving my opinions just as you are.
    SCampbells88
    New Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 12:53:09 (permalink)
    and who is us "all"?   you, rookie, joker and a few other stale mates?
    SCampbells88
    New Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 12:55:44 (permalink)
    farmers inn is a few miles off 36 in sigel i do believe.. they have what ya need.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 12:59:11 (permalink)
    you can add me to that list..
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 14:25:08 (permalink)
    He (Halupka and all his usernames) would be SHOCKED at how many guys come into the store that visit here and my board and ask who the "a-holes" are that are always jumping on everything I post but maybe the same is true with folks they talk to when my name is mentioned ?????

BUT such is life !!

You have to remember many folks visit and read message boards and NEVER post anything ... but form opinions just the same..

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/17 14:26:12
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 14:55:49 (permalink)
    He (Halupka and all his usernames) would be SHOCKED at how many guys come into the store that visit here and my board and ask who the "a-holes" are that are always jumping on everything I post but maybe the same is true with folks they talk to when my name is mentioned ?

So they read here...read the names, and STILL have to come ask you who calls you out on stuff?

Must be dumb, or illiterate...or imaginary.

Why would they believe you anyway, if the read this board and see how many times you declare you're never posting here again...then two or three weeks later we see your blurry pics and posts all full of equal signs where they dont belong.
    Jester
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 15:27:24 (permalink)
    JUST A REMINDER . . . the vast majority of Toms Run w/in sight of the Park Office is a Children's Fishing Area.  The 'kids under 12/people w/ disabilities only' area is not just the pond, but extends below the falls to the wire across, and upstream from the pond 150-200 yards (need to look for another wire). 

Enjoy yourself.  Blowouts are a curse and blessing.  Same thing in my current location here in Lebanon Co., PA.  It's been almost flood stage each time they've stocked . . . caught/released 31 stockie Bows and Browns Friday the 13th as a result, like the first day all over again.  In NW PA w/ cooler water temps, should fish right through the summer if the rains keep up. 
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 15:49:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

He (Halupka and all his usernames) would be SHOCKED at how many guys come into the store that visit here and my board and ask who the "a-holes" are that are always jumping on everything I post but maybe the same is true with folks they talk to when my name is mentioned ?

So they read here...read the names, and STILL have to come ask you who calls you out on stuff?

Must be dumb, or illiterate...or imaginary.

Why would they believe you anyway, if the read this board and see how many times you declare you're never posting here again...then two or three weeks later we see your blurry pics and posts all full of equal signs where they dont belong.

I thought you were all over this, but apparently not.  The good doctor needs to simply not respond to these posts. This is my first and last post regarding this....okay I feel better now.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 17:41:05 (permalink)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 19:08:44 (permalink)
    You're a Yankees fan, Flying Fish, I don't expect you to understand much of anything. Certainly not the first time around. It's okay.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 22:22:41 (permalink)
    weaker than usual. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    PhishingPhorever
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/17 22:34:13 (permalink)
    This is my first post and I registered because I will back up and agree with what dr, trout said before. Lots and lots of my friends all watch these forums and a few others and do not post. We don't get why everyone jumps all over him like he said. It just shows a lack of maturity.

Good to finally jump into this place though I have been reading since 2007 mainly when the steelhead are running. I live in the Girard area so I'm right in the heat of the action.
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/18 10:21:18 (permalink)
    Actually Cold, I am a Pirate fan, but am too embarassed to put their logo on with my name. Although admitting that may not be the smartest thing in world.
    CU@theriver
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/18 12:39:07 (permalink)
    arguably one of the most picturesque streams to fish with the old growth forest as a backdrop
    flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/18 19:42:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DaGman

I was "kinda figuring this" but thought MAYBE it would be high but NOT THAT HIGH to still be able to fish some pockets or eddies around the boulders/wood, etc, etc. Oh well, it definately looks like "if" i do go out even for an hour or two (due to the rain as usual) it looks as if toms run will be it. Any place up there close sell live minnows? Last time i was up there i couldn't find anything but crawlers.

Live minnies including shiners Pa Bait Rt.899 towards Marienville, great live bait store.
    no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/19 08:27:48 (permalink)
    fly nut is right live bait on rt. 899
    also you could get bait in marinville
    right side coming into town
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Toms run (Cook forest area near mouth & above) 2011/05/19 20:01:10 (permalink)
    Route 66 sporting goods store on the right just after the Country market on the right heading north. And as far Docs posts I'll back him up he has no reason to be critisized for his pictures. I havent seen any pics from the criticizers since being on this site.
    Jump to: