Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Billy35Litt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/14 22:12:19 (permalink)

Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th

I've been fishing Pymatuning for Walleye since the mid 80's and I can honestly say that the day we had today was top 3 as far as how many Walleye were caught, as far as I can remember.

There were 5 of us wading.  We lost count, but I am not exaggerating when I say we caught over 80 Walleyes.

We started fishing around 8AM.  We took a break around 12 and continued fishing until 4PM.  Most of the fish were caught between 8-12.

Each of us caught between 15-20 Walleye.  We only had 11 keepers between the 5 of us.  Most of our fish were in the 14 inch range.  Keep doing it PA & Ohio!!!!

Unbelievable day!!!

Wading Pymatuning and Presque Isle since '85.

45 Replies Related Threads

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/14 23:20:32 (permalink)
    fish in a barrel! haha that sounds like a blast i heard one of the guys that was musky fishing had a 30 incher on im sure he wasnt happy but i wouldnt have minded :)
    OAKHILL 1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/15 07:40:46 (permalink)
    saw you guys wading in the afternoon we were crappie fishing glad to hear you had a good time. walleye thing sure seems better hope it lasts fish warden checked us said they had 6 people with under sized fish by lunch time.are those walleye in close to shore during the day spawning yet or what?
    Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/15 08:56:52 (permalink)
    The spawn is over.  They were feeding which makes it even more fun because they hit the lures with a lot harder.  Overcast, choppy water, southern winds always seems to get the walleyes moving around.

The one thing that surprised me was the bass.  We didn't catch many and only small ones.  Thought for sure they would hit more.

With the amount of boats out there, I'm sure the warden was watching close.  I wondered how many guys they would nail.  We saw a few boats keeping what looked like smaller ones from a distance.

ATTE1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/15 11:26:22 (permalink)
    Same goes for me, best day up there in a long time. 40 fish, 7 keepers, most fish about 14" too. Not wading though, drifting north stumps with jigs. Boats everywhere do the same thing. Looked like everyone catching. Some kept smaller ones and paid for in at Manning launch..checking fish of all boats docking...plenty of citations while I was unloading. Officer said he gave out lots for 14 to 14 1/2 fish, which is what we mostly caught. Too bad people can't measure.
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/15 13:51:44 (permalink)
    people can measure they just want to keep fish to eat and they r greedy.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/15 16:08:15 (permalink)
    glad they are getting busted thats just stupid throw them back let em grow they are are twenty inchers for next year if you want fish sticks that bad buy them at the store it cheaper
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 10:36:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thunderpole

glad they are getting busted thats just stupid throw them back let em grow they are are twenty inchers for next year if you want fish sticks that bad buy them at the store it cheaper

for sure....I'd love to see the minimum size increased to 17".

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 10:50:31 (permalink)
    Why? Then you'd be catching nothing but 16.5" inchers since the majority would never reach 17" due to the heavy pressure....What you need is a slot limit, right?...but there is a LOW percentage of natural reproduction in Pymy. and the slot wouldn't work anyhow...thats exactly why it is a "PUT-N-TAKE" fishery like 90% of the other "muck bottom" PA lakes. I don't know when these C&R fanatics will ever get this through their thick skulls. All we need is the continued management and stockings and Pymy will be fine. You want to catch trophy walleye? Go to Erie or the Bay of Quinte during the migration.

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 11:17:25 (permalink)
    By no means am I a catch and release guy.  If I catch it and it's legal it generally goes in the basket.  I'm not looking to catch a trophy but I do think it would be possible for fish to reach that size in good numbers.  I'm not sure what data you've found to support you evidence that they wouldn't grow to that size.  Certainly if you've found some please share.

Jimmy D Moore

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 11:49:23 (permalink)
    If you have too large of a population of eyes at too big of a size, the forage base will collapse if you try to sustain it at that high a level. I agree with shut on this one, it is a put and take fishery, just like most trout streams. The eyes are there for the taking, within the limits of the current regs. Now, on natural reproduction lakes like Chatauqua, etc., a slot makes more sense. Maybe lower the limit to 5 or 4 per person but keep the min. size where it is at but that might be something to look at in the future (a couple yrs from now). It is a balancing act that the biologists need to maintain and right now, there is a good forage base at Pymy but they must make sure it stays that way.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 11:58:00 (permalink)
    How long have you been fishing Pymatuning Lake? If you have been fishing it for any amount of time, for walleye that is, you would know that catching walleyes that were 14.5" was always very common. Why is that do you think? I don't need data from a biologist to figure that one out and neither do you. Due to the heavy pressure for eyes on Pymy, and due to most people fishing it keeping their legal limits is why maybe 1 out of every 15 walleyes caught was always legal. And it will be like that once again. I remember days catching 50 or more fish only to catch a few "keepers". If you increase the size limit to 17", you will merely be increasing the size of what can be kept and eventually the majority of the fish you catch will be 16 to 16.5". In recent years, the bigger fish were more common, however numbers of fish caught down...Less fish, less pressure and fish get a chance to grow with less competition for food to boot...Now do you get it?

IMO, there are only a few things that can be done to increase the chances that fish can grow bigger....1 - NO PRESSURE - to make it C&R ONLY for a few years with continued stocking - WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN and 2. LESS TAKE - Cut the creel limits in half along with continued stocking. #1 Partly being the reason why you're seeing more bigger eyes being caught in recent years....Way less pressure due to the walleye fishing being off for a few years due to various reasons (fish kill & Fry not taking well). Increasing the size limit, IMO, is not the answer.

I believe Pymy will be what it used to be in regards to walleye fishing. The numbers are coming back up, the Fry brood are taking well and when you can drift in among 20 other boats like the good 'ol days, you'll be slammin' those 14 and 14.5 inchers left and right with a few 15s thrown in the mix and even a rare 18 to 25". Its inevitable, its called a Put-N-Take fishery!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/05/16 12:00:07

gonefishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 13:00:20 (permalink)
    Fully agree Shut.  Prior to the stocking issues of recent years, the norm has been to catch fish 0.5 to 1 inch under the legal size limit.  On only a few occassions do I recall the ratio of legal sized fish to undersized fish being favorable.  The concept of put and take is still not accepted by the masses, but it is what it is. 
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 13:26:45 (permalink)
    Shut...let me get this straight.  You're saying the lake can't sustain the population if they were to be required to be at least 17" to keep, but you're suggesting it be catch and release only for a few years.  Call me crazy but putting everything back in seems like it wouldn't even be possible...according to your own description as to why increasing the minimum size wouldn't work.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm glad you mention that what is above is in fact your opinion.  Yes I understand the concept of put and take and just how low the natural reproduction is in that lake, but that doesn't mean that it can't sustain bigger fish.

Jimmy D Moore

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 13:39:13 (permalink)
    But I do agree with you when it comes to reducing the daily limit.  Once these smaller fish start reaching minimum size taking home a limit or fish shouldn't be all that challenging to any angler.  Reducing the limit even by 2 fish a person could have a positive affect.

Jimmy D Moore

ATTE1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 14:01:46 (permalink)
    I like the fact that we caught walleye all day long for a few keepers. For me it is better than catching 1 or 2 keepers only in a day which I have seen there before. Catching fish is a lot more fun than than not, even if just under size limit.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 14:02:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

Shut...let me get this straight.  You're saying the lake can't sustain the population if they were to be required to be at least 17" to keep, but you're suggesting it be catch and release only for a few years.  Call me crazy but putting everything back in seems like it wouldn't even be possible...according to your own description as to why increasing the minimum size wouldn't work.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm glad you mention that what is above is in fact your opinion.  Yes I understand the concept of put and take and just how low the natural reproduction is in that lake, but that doesn't mean that it can't sustain bigger fish.

You're missing the point...I'm not suggesting that C&R ONLY for a few years should be done....just saying that if you want bigger fish, thats one of the few ways more fish are going to have a chance to get bigger. Of course, not a feasible solution because it will never happen. It might happen though if the fish were natural and management was needed to save the species....However, they are NOT natural.

Finally, it can sustain bigger fish. Nobody, said it couldn't....if fish are allowed to get bigger, anywhere they can survive, they will get bigger. No brainer...It won't happen at Pymy though, especially if the fishing is good....that place gets hammered and thats OK...we have two states to manage it, as long as they can get along and continue to stock the crap out of it, the walleye fishing will be good. My point was simply that a 17" increase in limit size isn't going to make much of a difference in catching bigger fish....unless of course you're looking to catch fish that are 2" bigger than 15"...just sayin'
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/05/16 14:04:19

Billy35Litt
    New Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 14:40:49 (permalink)
    The reason why they are 15" is to keep the population down.  If you increase it to 17", the feed in that lake will decrease and the growth of these things will be slow. 

Can you imagine how many walleye would be in that lake if we had to wait another two years for these fish to see 17"?  You'll have another 2 classes in that lake with a very slow growth rate.  There could be a chance that some of those fish never see 17"!

Those fish are stocked with the intent of getting pulled out of that lake so the next class can grow into their legal limit.  As long as the stocking continues, there will always be walleye to catch.

I think it's fun catching 20-40 walleyes and only seeing 3-5 keepers.  If you want trophies, drive another 45 minutes to Erie.

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 15:00:30 (permalink)
    i like the idea of slot limits... eat the eaters...leaves chances for some trophys if u cant keep em at say 24-30 inches ...idk just a thought    think the last time i kept a lil bigger walleye it was a bit fishy tasting anyways :)P
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 15:23:25 (permalink)
    We had a blast as well. Caught 24 in two and a half hours and probably missed at least a half dozen at the boat on Friday night trolling rapalas. I felt like I was back in the boundary waters. All were 14.5-15.5, but all went back. I'd rather eat the crappies and hope to catch those 15.25 inchers next year when the have a little more meat on their bones. My hope is that with the larger population of alewifes in that lake than the "good old days of pymatuning" the next couple years at least the classes of fish continue to grow quickly till the predator to prey ratio gets back in check. We got stopped four times on Saturday by fish wardens, which I'm fine with. I'd rather see them all day long knowing it reduces some peoples urge to keep the sublegal ones, then not see them ever.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/16 15:36:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wade alexander

i like the idea of slot limits... eat the eaters...leaves chances for some trophys if u cant keep em at say 24-30 inches ...idk just a thought    think the last time i kept a lil bigger walleye it was a bit fishy tasting anyways :)P

my taste buds don't work...all sizes of eyes taste great to me!  The one in my pic tasted great.  I'm not sure if that's becasue it's my personal best or if walleye just tastes that good to me.

Jimmy D Moore

chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/17 09:55:07 (permalink)
    Saturday the 14th must have been a great day fishing at Pymy for any species. Check out the KBBC bass tourney results for that day on their website. What a slugfest........
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/17 10:43:26 (permalink)
    I long for the days of doubles in the boat and sometimes triples.  Days of Yore are back or so it seems.  Can't wait to go this weekend.
    baldwisa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/17 16:17:59 (permalink)
    Being a new fishermen to Pymie, where do they go in the summer? Seems like they disappear when the water temp gets hot.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/17 16:46:44 (permalink)
    deeper structure
    cribs & brush....>16'

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/17 23:21:19 (permalink)
    I honestly don't think the feed situation will be a problem in pymy.  The alewife population is unreal.  I don't ever remember going out and seeing the bait-balls like are out there now.  You go out there on a decent sunny day and there are 1000's of alewives in groups all over the place.  One day last summer I had 20 different schools around me with easily 10,000+ fish in it (and that was all I could see right around me).  The other thing is the perch population.  When you catch 75 perch while drifting and the largest is 10", that just means food for the walleye.  The lake could easily sustain a large population of big walleye.

I agree it is nice to go out there and catch 30+ walleye again, but this lake can easily produce trophy sized fish.  When every fish that hits 15" is kept, then of coarse trophy fish will be few and far between.  I know this lake is a put and take fishery, however, with the alewife and perch populations, the walleye are growing quicker then before. 

As an added note, I would also like to see them reduce the limit to 3 or 4.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    jholl68
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/18 02:57:42 (permalink)
    holy crap. no ones happy. when people were complaining that they weren't catching fish but only 1 or 2 maybe 3 everyone was saying they wished it was like back in the day. now that it is again like it used to be people are complaining wanting it back to few and far between. make up your mind people.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/18 08:10:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jholl68
    holy crap. no ones happy.....

I'm happy.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    jholl68
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/18 09:37:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Pork

I'm happy.

me too. im ecstatic! lol im just sayin'
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Incredible day at Pymie - Saturday, May 14th 2011/05/18 10:27:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pork

I'm happy.

I am very happy!  Can't wait to go to camp this weekend and catch slabs and eyes!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: