Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details

Author
Panther
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/05 08:14:36 (permalink)

Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details

More Marcellus fracking news.  Looks like Texas is getting some money out of it. I was posting other news on this but it was deleted by the monitor. My guess is much more to come. Theres are no steelhead or trout in Texas. Sounds like jobs for Texas not PA to boot.

Texas Company Pays $208,625 in Settlements
for Polluting Creeks in Clearfield County

April 29, 2011

Harrisburg, PA – A Texas company has paid a total of $208,625 in three settlements in lieu of fines and civil damages to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) as a result of the company’s pollution of Clearfield County’s Alex Branch and Little Laurel Run in 2009 and 2010.

EOG Resources, Inc. agreed to pay the settlements following investigations by PFBC waterways conservation officers and the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) which determined that the substances the company released were deleterious, destructive or poisonous to fish.  Alex Branch and Little Laurel Run are both designated as high quality waters under DEP regulations.

The settlements reached with EOG involved three separate pollution incidents.

• During the period of Aug. 25, 2009, through Oct. 30, 2009, EOG allowed fluid from a pit to enter a spring located at the Sykesville Hunting Camp on Alex Branch and its tributaries.  EOG paid $99,125 for this incident. Approximately $40,000 of the settlement has been placed into a PFBC dedicated fund for the annual purchase of limestone sand at Parker Dam State Park. Local sportsmen’s organizations have historically bought the sand, which is applied each year to Laurel Run immediately upstream of the Parker Dam inlet by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The limestone sand helps neutralize the water quality within the impoundment, which allows the PFBC to manage the waterway as an approved stocked trout water. 
  • On Oct. 10 and 11, 2009, EOG allowed well wash fluid containing surfactant to enter Alex Branch and its tributaries. Surfactant is a chemical wetting agent which reduces surface tension and aids in the drilling process. EOG paid $10,000 for this incident.
  • During the period of June 3, 2010, through Aug. 16, 2010, EOG allowed gas and a mixture of fresh water and well flowback water to flow into Little Laurel Run. EOG has paid $99,500 for this incident.
    Earlier this month, the PFBC introduced a new toll-free hotline for the public to report suspected pollution incidents or fish kills. The number – 1-855-FISH-KIL (1-855-347-4545) – provides the public with a way to quickly alert PFBC staff to suspected environmental incidents.

Settlement monies are deposited into the PFBC’s Fish Fund. The PFBC relies almost entirely on fishing licenses, boat registrations and federal funding tied to fishing and boating to support its mission. It receives no funding from the state’s general fund.

The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities.  For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.
    Media Contact
    Eric Levis
    elevis@state.pa.us

7 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
      Expert Angler
      • Total Posts : 651
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/06 19:33:09 (permalink)
      protect, conserve, enhance........hmmmm.......but they are going to do it with our without us....so we better jump in and get some money too.......thanks Mr. Arway

www.2bonthewater.com
      2Bonthewater
      Expert Angler
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/12 16:46:34 (permalink)
      I think the PFBC needs to create a new mission statement

www.2bonthewater.com
      WaxWorm
      Avid Angler
      • Total Posts : 134
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/12 21:02:22 (permalink)
      20 mile is next...sad sad day
      2Bonthewater
      Expert Angler
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/13 08:31:43 (permalink)
      http://www.fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2011ab/vol80num3_mayjune/01straight.pdf

I question how and or why--- the PFBC would go ahead with the idea of leasing rights to their (our) property to drill.......then again.....there is much to question.......Arway can shine it up any way he wants.......the bottom line is money---- so, now they (pfbc) will receive money for leasing their small parcels of land to drillers.........then, they will take money later as the drilling efforts fail and end up polluting more of PA's waters and watersheds........but, eh, what the hell.....they are going to do it with or without us........MONEY MONEY MONEY..... so, instead of taking the right stance to follow their Mission Statement, they go the other direction.......they are going to do it with or without us.....do you know why, because THEY---PFBC, DEP and whoever else is involved allow them do drill it.........they--drilling companies are making some serious cash--and a 100 thousand dollar fine is a joke........that money is already figured into the game plan.....so, actually--the companies are not losing money........more drilling equals more problems...more problems equals more pollution...more pollution equals more money to be dumped into the fish fund.........what I would like to see if the PFBC stand up and hold true to its mission statement--- to protect, conserve and enhance..........but, no we get Arway stating-- they are going to do it with or without us.......that is so sad

ya know what......then you let them (drillers) do it without us.........and take your money by settlement agreements....or better yet....just start filing the proper paperwork in a court of law.....no more slaps on the wrist.....well, you did this, this and this.....I think it is worth this much money.....have some freakn' integrity............

this could all lead to no environmental issues whatsoever........but, I for one really wouldn't want to take that chance.........same with Bristol Bay--- NO PEBBLE MINE
      it is all about money and greed..........and I'm sure the PFBC already has the speeches lined up for us---- we do this and there will be no license increase for bla bla bla......just keep stocking the 7 inch trout--- promises promises...........

www.2bonthewater.com
      D-nymph
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 6701
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/13 09:08:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 2Bonthewater

http://www.fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2011ab/vol80num3_mayjune/01straight.pdf

I question how and or why--- the PFBC would go ahead with the idea of leasing rights to their (our) property to drill.......then again.....there is much to question.......Arway can shine it up any way he wants.......the bottom line is money---- so, now they (pfbc) will receive money for leasing their small parcels of land to drillers.........then, they will take money later as the drilling efforts fail and end up polluting more of PA's waters and watersheds........but, eh, what the hell.....they are going to do it with or without us........MONEY MONEY MONEY..... so, instead of taking the right stance to follow their Mission Statement, they go the other direction.......they are going to do it with or without us.....do you know why, because THEY---PFBC, DEP and whoever else is involved allow them do drill it.........they--drilling companies are making some serious cash--and a 100 thousand dollar fine is a joke........that money is already figured into the game plan.....so, actually--the companies are not losing money........more drilling equals more problems...more problems equals more pollution...more pollution equals more money to be dumped into the fish fund.........what I would like to see if the PFBC stand up and hold true to its mission statement--- to protect, conserve and enhance..........but, no we get Arway stating-- they are going to do it with or without us.......that is so sad

ya know what......then you let them (drillers) do it without us.........and take your money by settlement agreements....or better yet....just start filing the proper paperwork in a court of law.....no more slaps on the wrist.....well, you did this, this and this.....I think it is worth this much money.....have some freakn' integrity............

this could all lead to no environmental issues whatsoever........but, I for one really wouldn't want to take that chance.........same with Bristol Bay--- NO PEBBLE MINE
      it is all about money and greed..........and I'm sure the PFBC already has the speeches lined up for us---- we do this and there will be no license increase for bla bla bla......just keep stocking the 7 inch trout--- promises promises...........

I'm against shale drilling until they have adequate facilities built to treat the fracking wastes.

But what would you rather they do? They don't have money to fix those dams. The options, as I see them are:

1. Permanently close and drain those 16 lakes with dangerous dams.

2. Increase license fees astronomically in order to raise funds to repair those dams.

3. Lease to the gas companies to get the money to fix those dams, allowing the lakes to remain open, your license fees to stay low, and hope they do a decent job.

Pick one.

I think alot of people are going to complain over whichever option they choose.
      2Bonthewater
      Expert Angler
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/14 07:54:41 (permalink)
      D-Nymph.......

I'd like to see them make the right choice.......no matter what happens, they certainly will gain monies via settlement agreements when something does go wrong (which I hope doesn't, but probably will)

sorry dude, I worked for the pfbc......and the bottom line is always money........end of story....

They need to take a stand.........and protect the environment........NOT SAY-- They are going to do it with or without us--So we are jumping in to get our claim........that is very weak on the part of John Arway---I don't care how he breaks it down -- the bottom line is that he said the very thing that should make every angler and boater shudder --- they are going to do it with or without us--so we better get our hand out and take the money----

I could see if fracking was a stable way to get things done....but so far, it has proven to do some damage.......

so, let them drill---poison the lakes.......what does it matter in the end when the entity that is to protect, conserve and enhance has sold out.......am I the only guy who looks at it this way...

and honestly, a license increase isn't a problem..........people are wanting stoneage prices in 2011--that can't happen

www.2bonthewater.com
      D-nymph
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 6701
      RE: Texas Fracking company polutes PA trout stream details 2011/05/16 10:47:13 (permalink)
      Right. So you have no idea what they should do, and no matter what they choose to do "make the right decision" because you'll complain about it no matter what.

And I'm anti-fracking, BTW.
      Jump to: