Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/31 14:56:41 (permalink)

Using 3 rods ===

Looks like this suggestion will be on the agenda for the April PFBC meeting ===

Fish & Boat Commission to Hold Quarterly Business Meeting

Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will hold its spring quarterly meeting on April 11-12 at its Harrisburg office.

Commission committees will meet beginning at 10:15 a.m. on Monday, April 11, and again at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, April 12. Formal consideration of the agenda by the full Commission will begin at approximately 11:20 a.m. on Tuesday, April 12. All committee meetings and the formal meeting are open to the public.

Commissioners will address a variety of issues during Tuesday’s formal meeting, including:
A recommendation to place permanent catch and release regulations on smallmouth and largemouth bass in portions of the Susquehanna and Juniata rivers in order to reduce fishing mortality. The regulations have been in place since January 1 under a temporary order issued by PFBC Executive Director John Arway;
A proposal related to the above-mentioned bass regulations which would extend the regulations to a point one-half mile upstream from the mouth of all tributaries within the affected areas of the Susquehanna and Juniata rivers. The proposal would also create a closed season during the bass spawning period. If approved through a final rulemaking, these amendments would take effect Jan. 1, 2012;
A recommendation to acquire property rights along Elk Creek in Fairview Township, Erie County. Acquiring the property would provide anglers with increased access to this popular steelhead fishery;
A recommendation to renew a property lease at Franklin County’s Letterkenny Reservoir, an approved trout water which is heavily used by anglers;
A proposal to require mandatory life jacket use during the cold weather months from November 1 through April 30 for anyone operating a canoe, kayak or motorboat 16 feet or less, including when boats are anchored;
A recommendation to remove the “slow, no wake” designations on Hawns Run Cove and Anderson Bay in Raystown Lake;
A recommendation to approve a grant to the Pennsylvania Council of Trout Unlimited of $10,000 per fiscal year for the next three fiscal years to further expand the Trout in the Classroom program;
A recommendation to approve a final rulemaking order which would allow anglers to use three rods when fishing. Current regulations allow for the use of two rods;
A proposal to add 99 new water to the list of wild trout streams; and
Proposals to renew a grant with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to support the Conowingo Dam fish lift on the west side of the Susquehanna River; and award a grant to American Rivers, Inc. to remove the Norristown Farm Park Dam on Stony Creek, Montgomery County and enhance habitat.

75 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 15:00:24 (permalink)
    "A proposal to require mandatory life jacket use during the cold weather months from November 1 through April 30 for anyone operating a canoe, kayak or motorboat 16 feet or less, including when boats are anchored"

I dont care for the anchored part of this rule
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 15:25:32 (permalink)
    I dont care for any of it. Its ridiculous. There has also been whining by at least one outdoor writer for mandatory use for everyone, all the time.

Apparently these jackarses havent fished for periods longer than an hour and dont realize how important comfort is. Try musky casting all day or fishing all night for cats, then get back to me on it.

Grown adults are also more than capable of exerting their own right to decide. We dont need to be taken by the hand by those who deem themselves authority fugures, in every facet of our lives.

They can take their mandatory use life jackets and shove them.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/31 15:34:35
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 15:36:52 (permalink)
    very well said wayne

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 15:50:16 (permalink)
    I dont really care about using 3 rods, but definitely dont want to have to wear a vest all the time on a boat.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 17:24:13 (permalink)
    Anyone who would like to give their opinions on these or any other matters can give input through the contact feature on the bottom of the page in this link. Its fast and easy to do. The meeting for the vote is coming up very soon.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 18:12:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

"A proposal to require mandatory life jacket use during the cold weather months from November 1 through April 30 for anyone operating a canoe, kayak or motorboat 16 feet or less, including when boats are anchored"

I dont care for the anchored part of this rule

Agree with you 100%...imagine being couped up fishing in a canoe already and trying to add a life vest in there somewhere...that alone would probably make me fall out....and then I could float there like and ice cube.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 18:19:55 (permalink)
    at least you'd float when you fell out and they wouldn't have to find you with a diver.

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 18:31:45 (permalink)
    I think it is only proposed for the cold water season. Much higher risk of hypothermia.

I have an inflateable PFD that is as small as a butt pack. No real discomfort.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 18:57:48 (permalink)
    I agree with bings, the inflatable vests (suspenders) and packs (go around the waist) are small and comfortable enough to wear all day and cast with, however wearing one of the vest types for hunting would not be fun.  Already have enough clothing on then adding that and trying to shoot?  That would be a pain!

If you can't swim, wear a life vest!  If you don't feel comfortable with the waves...DON'T GO OUT, but if already out put one on and get off the lake.

We get the choice to drink, smoke, join the military, ride a motorcycle with or without a helmet, ect...Why force us to wear a life vest? 

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 19:04:50 (permalink)
    I agree with you frost....I HAVE NO STATISTICALL FIGURES for this but I'm sure that more people wreck motorcycles each year than fall off of boats.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 23:01:41 (permalink)
    I think it is only proposed for the cold water season.

Yeah, just another attempt of "the man" trying to save us from our poor ignorant selves.

Anyone feeling they need to wear one is free to do so, and for others in some situations its already mandatory for kids and such.

As for this proposal, I dont support it period, but if they must do something so stupid, does it really need to be to the end of April???

I guess it doesnt really matter to me, because i dont fish in the midst of big crowds anywhere anyway, and have no plans on wearing it regardless of their "decision".
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/31 23:06:06
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 23:08:15 (permalink)
    a couple years ago fishing on kahle lake we watched and old guy fall off his boat , if we weren there he probably would have drowned because he was beyond struggling to stay above water thats a senario of good for the jackets , but i agree with the lot , i dont like wearing one
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 23:09:16 (permalink)
    I have an inflateable PFD that is as small as a butt pack. No real discomfort.

Not familiar with. If it were to meet legal requirements, and this nonsense proposal goes through. Id probably check into that.

*Just did very quickly, and found a couple from 110 to 150 bucks. All for something to replace the perfectly good vests that i have now that i can just stash and not wear. Not a good trade-off imho. 150 for something i shouldnt need to use and will never have the need for, just because some wise elder who think they know whats best for me says so?...i believe id rather just buy another rod or reel for that buck fifty.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/31 23:18:29
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 23:16:54 (permalink)
    im ok with wearing lifejacket on a yak or canoe...but requiring it for a motorboat is what i dont agree with

My 14 ft alumacraft is quite stable compared to a canoe or yak
    post edited by psu_fish - 2011/03/31 23:22:29
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/03/31 23:29:33 (permalink)
    I agree psu, and the including 16 footers is downright outrageous.

The worst part is, that since this bull- is going up for a vote, means there is at least some support at pfbc for it. If there wasnt it wouldnt have even gotten that far.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 06:19:06 (permalink)
    The co2 pull string packages that go around your waste really aren't too bad. I use them when I pontoon in ny. I believe e its mandatory. I use it anyway regardless... I have pondered using it while bank angling, but haven't yet. Sometimes a few people drown a year on ny rivers including the deleware which can be considered pennsylvania.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 06:21:17 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, mine were around 75-85 dollars 3 years ago if this helps at all...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 06:52:36 (permalink)
    That reg is already the law on any Army Corp of Eng. body of water, must be worn all year on boats under 16'.

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 07:50:14 (permalink)
    Not trying to go off the deep end, but if you have a life insurance policy, you might want to read the fine print.
    I have seen some insurance companies put in thier policies that if you drown/die in a water related incident and were not wearing a PFD, they aren't required to pay off!

Is that a burden that you want your surviors/family to have to bear?

I also anticipate that in the future that EMS, fire and law enforcement may be able to send a bill to surviving family of drowning victims for the costs of search and recovery of the body. - it ain't cheap to have divers and such searching lake beds for victims, right now taxes and "donations" pay for that.

At work our safety regs. require us to wear PFD's if we are working above water that is 24" or deeper...wear it or get fired.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 08:03:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

Not trying to go off the deep end, but if you have a life insurance policy, you might want to read the fine print.
    I have seen some insurance companies put in thier policies that if you drown/die in a water related incident and were not wearing a PFD, they aren't required to pay off!

Is that a burden that you want your surviors/family to have to bear?

I also anticipate that in the future that EMS, fire and law enforcement may be able to send a bill to surviving family of drowning victims for the costs of search and recovery of the body. - it ain't cheap to have divers and such searching lake beds for victims, right now taxes and "donations" pay for that.

At work our safety regs. require us to wear PFD's if we are working above water that is 24" or deeper...wear it or get fired.

Now that's some good food for thought...
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 08:07:59 (permalink)
    I want to know how many of you actually go fishing from November 1 to April 30th. IMO, it's way to **** cold to even think about going on a boat. In a rare instance it may be warm enough to go fishing on a boat (Which I have done), but for the one or two times that I would be out there I would say I would rather be safe then sorry.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 09:47:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rookie5781

I want to know how many of you actually go fishing from November 1 to April 30th. IMO, it's way to **** cold to even think about going on a boat. In a rare instance it may be warm enough to go fishing on a boat (Which I have done), but for the one or two times that I would be out there I would say I would rather be safe then sorry.

I dont really thing the issue is so much "is it a good idea" as "should the man be able to force me to". When I go fishing with my buddy in his canoe, we wear life jackets when launching and landing, as well as any time either of us has to stand or move a lot. Other than that, it's too **** hot and uncomfortable to wear while fishing, so we break the law.

Oh, also...

Bings said 'butt pack'.

That is all.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 09:59:59 (permalink)
    well time to a buy 16' or bigger.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 10:14:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

Oh, also...

Bings said 'butt pack'.

That is all.

My bad, how about just a little bigger than her junk up front...

They are small and many are priced under $100. I keep one in my icefishing sled just in case...

Of course there is always cork..

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 10:24:15 (permalink)
    I have used my jon boat many times over the years on Kyle Lake in March and April on nice days, it's usually windy over there so it has to be warm and not too windy, but it's a good time of the year for fishing that lake..

Plus I have read about guys using boats at Erie already for perch...

I think some of the recent "drown while hunting accidents" helped lead to this new ruling... but that's only an opinion...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 10:29:03 (permalink)
    The issue is one of personal responsibility.  I think it is a good idea to have a PFD on when in a boat and usually do.  If a person decides they do not want to wear one, then I think they should not be forced to, but they and anyone who is responsibile for them should be held responsible for the cost of the recovery of the body and all other costs.  In other words, if you want to take the risk, then you are responsible for the consequences.

I am not saying that there should not be a safety net to help people, but if you knowingly take a risk that can lead to the loss of life, then you need to acknowledge the risk and accept the consequences. 

One thing to remember in all of this is that your actions not only put you at risk, but others who are coming to your aid are at risk as well.  Even if you don't care enough about yourself, please at least think about those who will try to rescue you or perhaps work to recover your body.  Think about your loved ones who will miss you and depend on you.  Is it really worth it to not wear a PFD?  I love to fish as much as the next guy, but I do not want to put my life at risk doing it.

pax vobiscum +
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 10:52:22 (permalink)
    Who here has actually tried to swim with a PFD?  I agree that it will help you float in the cold water.  However, I would consider myself a good swimmer and I've tried to swim a distance (not even really that far) for a bet in warm water and it was a huge pain.  It did more harm than good.  So yes it will keep you afloat so your body will be recovered but you stand a better chance actually getting out of the water without one on.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 10:59:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

Who here has actually tried to swim with a PFD?  I agree that it will help you float in the cold water.  However, I would consider myself a good swimmer and I've tried to swim a distance (not even really that far) for a bet in warm water and it was a huge pain.  It did more harm than good.  So yes it will keep you afloat so your body will be recovered but you stand a better chance actually getting out of the water without one on.

Unless you're knocked unconscious.

If you are well enough to swim after an accident, you're probably well enough to remove the PFD in the water prior to swimming.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Using 3 rods === 2011/04/01 11:01:16 (permalink)
    Heat is lost more quickly in water[18] than on land. Water temperatures that would be quite reasonable as outdoor air temperatures can lead to hypothermia. A water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often leads to death in one hour, and water temperatures hovering at freezing can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes.[31] Water at a temperature of 26 °C (79 °F) will, after prolonged exposure, lead to hypothermia.

Age and alchohol shorten that time..

And yes I do think it should be our own choice in the matter, I don't like Big Brother anymore than the next guy..

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: