What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on Lake Erie

Author
burky
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/29 15:29:43 (permalink)

What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on Lake Erie

I am getting ready to tie my own crawler harnesses and would like to get others opinion on recommended leader length for open water trolling on Lake Erie with jets and dipsys.   Would it be okay to make the harnesses 12” long then add an additional leader between the harness and diving planer or is it better to eliminate the extra leader and make the harnesses longer.   I plan on using 30lb. test Yo Zuri Hybrid with VMC size 2/0 octopus hooks and # 5 colorado blades.

3 Replies Related Threads

Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on 2011/03/29 16:00:48 (permalink)
    Neither way is right or wrong, but I've always left the leader on the harnesses short--8/10/12 inches and run a seperate leader from your dipsy to your bait. It is easier to stow and store your harnesses when they only have a 1 ft leader.

Most guys that I've talked with and myself use a leader length between 6-8 ft. You really don't want you leader any longer than your rod. If your leaders get too long it is difficult to net the fish, since you can only reel up until the diver almost hits the last rod guide.

And after cranking these fish in from 200 ft back, the hooks tend to work themselves loose; hence alot of fish are dropped right at the side of the boat while trying to net!

30 lb test sounds about right, maybe a tad on the heavy side. I personally run 20 lb test on my leaders, but some guys run 14/17/20/30 etc.

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on 2011/03/29 16:17:14 (permalink)
    Neither way is right or wrong, but I've always left the leader on the harnesses short--8/10/12 inches and run a seperate leader from your dipsy to your bait. It is easier to stow and store your harnesses when they only have a 1 ft leader.

Most guys that I've talked with and myself use a leader length between 6-8 ft. You really don't want you leader any longer than your rod. If your leaders get too long it is difficult to net the fish, since you can only reel up until the diver almost hits the last rod guide.

And after cranking these fish in from 200 ft back, the hooks tend to work themselves loose; hence alot of fish are dropped right at the side of the boat while trying to net!

30 lb test sounds about right, maybe a tad on the heavy side. I personally run 20 lb test on my leaders, but some guys run 14/17/20/30 etc.

+1 Spot on!
    and quality swivels/snaps are a must...
    check your worm rigs frequently for wear, kinks and nicks, nothing worse than getting a beauty to boatside and having the line break between the hooks and loosing the fish. A fish wacking the rig without hooking up can still do damage to it. (and the shells on the lakebed tear up your line when you have to fish tight to bottom, so check for line damage constantly on those lines)
    We carry spare components on the boat in case repairs need done and it's not uncommon to have to 'rebuild' a rig a couple of times on the water if it is the 'hot color' of the day.
    Have fun and good luck!
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2011/03/29 16:20:08
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on 2011/03/29 17:29:42 (permalink)
    I use fluorocarbon leader between dipsy and harness, and quality ball bearing swivels (don't use barrel swivels). Leader length varies between 4.5 to 6 feet. Can't remember off hand, but I think we've been using 20# test for the harnesses. I also like the ones tied with wire. Agree with the above posts about checking for wear. Sometimes I swear you could catch your limit trolling with beer tabs, other times it almost seems like rocket science. Experiment and have fun...
    Jump to: