Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/18 18:14:00 (permalink)

BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS

Just recently read the fish & boat 3 rivers management plan that was just released the other day. Found it interesting in the list of species that were extirpated from within the 3 rivers within Pa, that BLUE CATFISH was included! I had no idea they had been native here previously!

Why dont we restore this magnificent species to its original home range! Can you imagine fighting those beasts right here in Pa??

According to the American Fisheries Society, the last blue catfish reported from the Mon River was taken in 1886. As i understand it, market fishing over exploitation did them in.

Id say even the staunchest environmentalists wouldnt have a problem with restoring a native to the ecosystem that should have been there all along? And any fisherman that wouldnt want to catch blue cats has no blood in their veins! They get huge and are one of if not thee hardest fighting fish in fresh water. Wouldnt cost much for Pa fish & boat as catfish fingerlings compared to many other species are inexpensive and/or easy to raise.

I dont see why it couldnt be realistic, anyone who would be interested should contact fish & boat and offer the suggestion also. Man that sure would be a great opportunity and also putting things right as they should have been anyway.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/18 18:20:19

33 Replies Related Threads

Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 19:00:14 (permalink)
    I fish almost entirely for flatheads most of the year and would love if these beasts were reintroduced. Although i dont think that they would reach thier full size due to our limited season. Landing an 80 blue would be amazing but im not gettig my hopes up. Seems like the money spent on reintroduction would rather be used towards more money making expendatures (trout programs etc). Bums me out. Catfish seem to lack the attention tey deserve and they are in my mind one of the most fun species to hunt down. Only time i fish for trout is when i need bait ha
    Lickenchivers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 19:12:42 (permalink)
    Me to Snag, trout are great bait for early flats,cut or live. As far as the reintroduction of blues to pa, us catfishermen wont ever be catered to like most of the trout and bass fisherman. If we want to catch blues we're goin to have to go elsewhere, them blues will eat all of pa's money fish

"Wait till the taxidermy man sees what I brung him"
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 19:45:53 (permalink)
    I agree snag, being near the northern limit of their range, we likely wouldnt have 100 pounders... But id be quite content with 50 or 60 lbers as the "top end".

A couple of things that would make it a great decision is that cats arent as pollution sensitive as many other species which is important since we are speaking of all or part of the 3 rivers area.

Also remember, just so we are all on the same page, we arent talking about all of Pa, just the Ohio river system where blues were native. Even just part of it would be great. Stock the upper mon, and eventually blues would be found all downstream and into the downriver portion of the ohio.

And unlike trout and many areas walleyes, you wouldnt need to continuously stock them. A couple initial stockings and done! Unlike other species that need to be maintained, Cats have no problem breeding in river systems and are very prolific. If some good plantings of decent sized fingerlings were stocked into upper couple pools of the river a couple or few years in a row,and or a couple or few hundred adults should be enough to get them to take off from there and populate the river downstream in a reasonable time frame.

If anyone thinks this sounds like a good idea, id strongly encourage you to go to the pa fish & boat website and let them know. They dont know what we are interested in if we do not tell them. Who knows, at some point they may be conducive to the idea. If not, nothing wasted but an email.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/18 20:04:01
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 19:48:15 (permalink)
    Here is alink to the 3 river management plans and also a link to contact them at the bottom of page

3 rivers management & contact
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/18 19:50:00
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 19:54:32 (permalink)
    them blues will eat all of pa's money fish

Many of the best bass lakes & rivers in the country are loaded with both blues and flats... And in southern states they get ALOT bigger. lol.

Extreme Shallow
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 20:44:31 (permalink)
    My comment has been submitted – basically I said that I support stocking to reestablish native species over nonnative species and would gladly support those efforts.
    petrulak
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 22:14:31 (permalink)
    if blues catfish are bigger ,more  fun to catch.then why aren t they being stocked  in pa lakes and rivers. 
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/18 23:27:02 (permalink)
    Good question. First guess i would have at answering that is that they arent native to most of those Pa lakes and rivers and many feel because of that they do not belong there. But thats not an issue with the area we are talking about because it IS part of their original native range within rivers of southwestern pa. In this case its a regional thing.

Only reason im guessing as to why they havent been stocked there to repopulate, is that it simply hasnt been made a priority because they have been gone from the system for such long time it hasnt really been given much thought. Also a few decades back the rivers in question were in much worse shape.

Cant think of any good reasons why they havent been, or shouldnt be in the future.

Speaking for myself, before i found that we were within the original native range and they were extirpated due to market fishing etc., id always thought we were just a tad too far north for them to thrive and thats why we didnt have them... Possibly issues with breeding or whatever. Now ive learned thats not the case.

Pay lakes stock them, possibly in a few private lakes...only place in Pa where you can currently catch one other than some unauthorized release or two here or there maybe.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/18 23:34:07
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/19 00:22:25 (permalink)
    they catch blues in ohio near cincy,  they should be able to migrate here if the habitat was adequate.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/19 12:01:46 (permalink)
    Cant think of any different extreme needs that wouldnt exist habitatwise for blue cats, i dont see any reason why the habitat would be inadequate. They live in varieties of rivers, both dammed and free flowing, lakes, and reservoirs all across their range with a wide variety of conditions from strong current, to no current. Varying degrees of structure. etc. etc. Diets pretty similar to channels in general, and although they utilize cover to some extent,they are more "open water" oriented then channels and certainly moreso then flathead.

I dont know that viable numbers would be able to navigate all the locks and dams to have a large enough breeding population, and if relatively few have made the journey but not viable breeding numbers, then for all intense purposes they dont exist. Cinci as the crow flies is hardly a hop skip and a jump, and its much further as the river flows.

Apparently West Virginia didnt have them in their stretch of the ohio well upriver of Cinci. Yet they chose in 2005 to start a fingerling stocking program that was to be a 5 year program. So i think that tells us their biologists believed even though they didnt have a viable population and they were even closer to existing populations down river, they believed they had the habitat.

In Ohio not too long ago there were few in state waters and the ohio river, so few they were a protected species. They have ongoing stocking programs for Dillon Reservoir and maybe others. Apparently they are doing well in their lakes that are about the same latitude north as us. Only understandable i guess since previously many moons ago they lived here as well.

Ohio has the right idea here; blue catfish stocking
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/19 12:57:11
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/19 13:28:34 (permalink)
    I would like to see them brought back, since they were here to begin with I would rank them above other non-native species in order of being worthy of that attention.
    Wayne, you said they were basically gone after the late 1800s... wonder if any correlation in their disappearing and the increase in pollution during the same time period? If Pittsburgh area is the upper edge of their range already due to water temps/winter mortalities then maybe lowering the water quality was all it took to do in the breeding and ability to survive the commercial fishing pressure.
    As for why they didn't come back before this, maybe if they aren't too crowded where they are now in the river then why go further north if they don't need to? So they just haven't seen any need to expand back this far north. Or maybe their is still some acid contamination or other biproduct of the strip mine and iron ore era that is 'souring the appeal' for them, so to speak.
    It would be wonderful to see them back, even if they don't achieve the awesome size they do in the southern rivers. We have caught many in the Rappahanock and Potomac Rivers and they are great fun.
    So overall, I would be glad to see the reintroduction of them, as long as their are no issues with water quality or forage base for their survival. Thanks for posting the subject! Great to think that such a great catch could again be found in Pa waters!
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/02/19 13:47:30 (permalink)
    Wayne, you said they were basically gone after the late 1800s... wonder if any correlation in their disappearing and the increase in pollution during the same time period? If Pittsburgh area is the upper edge of their range already due to water temps/winter mortalities then maybe lowering the water quality was all it took to do in the breeding and ability to survive the commercial fishing pressure.

Donno. Cant really speculate on that. I know they were exploited and sold in markets in Pittsburgh area. Catfish were a delicacy back in those days. Blue cats being a big water fish, and mainly within the main river would be easier to overexploit then say channel cat which were in the river and also many miles up most of the many tribs.

Lots of resources were overexploited around that time period. Our deer herd was devastated so bad it had to be restocked. Our forests were raped at an unsustainable rate. Etc. Blue cats were just one more resource that became victim of no proper management. Cant quantify all contributing factors though.

"It would be wonderful to see them back, even if they don't achieve the awesome size they do in the southern rivers. We have caught many in the Rappahanock and Potomac Rivers and they are great fun.
    So overall, I would be glad to see the reintroduction of them, as long as their are no issues with water quality or forage base for their survival."

Not written in stone, but I really dont believe that water quality would be an issue when many other species that are less tolerant are thriving. As for forage, i have no doubt at all about that. Speaking for the Upper Mon. we have PLENTY to go 'round. The shad numbers are immense and the emerald shiners most years border on the obscene. And thats without getting into all the other numerous secondary potential forage species, which are quite a few.

Thanks for posting the subject! Great to think that such a great catch could again be found in Pa waters!

Glad to see interest. Not sure how realistic PFBC taking actions would be. But certainly at least worthy of discussions id imagine.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/19 14:14:45
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 13:01:52 (permalink)
    Just as an update, Had recieved word on this, that it is something that might be considered, and that there has been a level of interest expressed by some area anglers to pfbc.

If anyone would be interested in seeing this happen, please submit your comments here:

SUBMIT COMMENTS HERE

post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/07 13:03:00
    catfishkid81
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 13:48:48 (permalink)
    i think it would b great to fish for bluecats in are area rivers to answer one of the questions i saw in the thread i dont think u can put big blue cats in smaller rivers and lakes in r area for atleast 1 reason that they would totally destroy a lake in the sense of eating everything and the other species would definatly suffer. and they are native to are lakes and shouldnt b messed with. but i would b really surprised to see them stock these rivers with blue cats when they cant evin stock a third of the lakes with catfish that they used to stock.twin lakes in greensburg is a prime xample of this the lake used to be full of nice cats now its full of carp and small bullhead. but i am all for it if it would work.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 14:04:32 (permalink)
    I believe I've heard people say that blue cats have been stocked in the lower Yough relatively recently. I don't know if it's true or not.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 14:27:02 (permalink)
    Catfishkid, They are mainly, like a musky, flathead, striped bass etc, a big water fish. A fish mainly for reservoirs large rivers and big lakes. Although they have been stocked in paylakes around here and do quite well. I dont believe they would reproduce there, but thats not the purpose for paylakes anyway.

Dnymph, i dont think there is any water in Pa that has them, other than maybe a few caught at a paylake or something and thrown into one of the rivers or lakes. Never know if some club got permission to stock and it wasnt announced, but im thinking it wouldve probably been made known, as it would be a fairly big deal having blues reintroduced or introduced into systems outside of private owned lakes or ponds.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 14:33:09 (permalink)
    might not have been published though if they had reason to believe it might fail....maybe the policy was let's not say anything and if it works we'll inform everyone, if not then no big deal.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 15:11:25 (permalink)
    If you are talking about pfbc, Not likely. They realize there would be public support for it, and the cost wouldnt be prohibitive. If it didnt work, which there isnt alot of reason to believe it wouldnt, there would be no major loss.

It may be possible that some unapproved stocking by individuals or club could take place i guess. But probably small scale. I havent heard any rumors in the area through the rumor mill, and would chalk up the yough blue cat stockings as rumor and nothing more until someone could substantiate it for sure with first hand knowledge of.

Anyway, i dont know if blues where native to the yough, but do know they were to the Monongahela and no would love to see them return.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/07 15:12:25
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9722
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 15:48:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

I believe I've heard people say that blue cats have been stocked in the lower Yough relatively recently. I don't know if it's true or not.

I thought that I had read something about one of the Yough clubs stocking them too. Around the same time they attempted to stock steelhead, I think?

Are they a migratory fish? If they seek out warmer temps in the Winter and all head down stream, that might be a reason? Although, there are likely enough warm water discharges to keep them around. Most of which carry a good amount of prey for them. Prey for a 60lb blue is just about anything swimming in our rivers... Which might be another reason? The draw to anglers that the small mouth and walleye have is pretty good on the rivers, probably the top two targetted fish I would guess? With the big money bass tournements giving the three rivers a spot in their tours, the PFBC might want to keep the monsters from eating their cash cow? Not sure how much of a cash cow it is to them, but for fishing, they are pretty good money makers.

Personally, I think there is room for them. Not a marine biologist, but would think they need something to control those larger gizzard shad (over 12"). Guessing musky and flatheads are the only thing able to eat those. I'd personally rather have purebred stripers, but native species does make more sense.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/07 16:13:42 (permalink)
    Very few fish would get to 60 lb. They are fairly rare even further south, let alone this far north. And there is plenty of room to roam and plenty of prey species so as there is no need for them to "decimate" the smallmouths & sauger. Other species do quite well in the presence of blue catfish, as some of the best bass lakes and rivers in the nation are absolutely polluted with both blues and flathead.

A flatheads mouth is MUCH larger than a blue catfish and a 30 lb flathead could probably eat as large or larger a fish than a 50 lb blue. And the flatheads havent wiped out all the other species where they are native, and the prey base according to biology reports on the mon show the forage base is very very abundant. Of course they didnt need to tell any of us that spend much time on the mon. The shad, shiners, suckers etc. are plentiful.

The blues were native to the range. There is no reason they shouldnt be put back since they belong there. The fact they provide another great recreational opportunity on top of that is just all the better. And a great opportunity to grow the "big game" fishery of the mon.

Btw, in winter, they go to the deeper holes to overwinter,of which there are plenty on the mon.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/07 16:15:25
    JT83
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/08 00:31:07 (permalink)
    The commish stocked Blues in the Yough in the 60's but they never really seemed to take hold. There are claims made every year up and down the 3 rivers of Blues being caught, but most seem to be misidentified channels. Blues originally ranged into North Dakota, we are NOT too far north. It would be nice to see them around.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/08 01:25:38 (permalink)
    I think the one thing you are looking into too much is seeing where they are native to.I enjoy carp fishing and they were stocked in the late 1800's and people always say they are non native to most waters. After doing a lot of research you will find a good majority of all types of fish that we enjoy are non native to the waters they are in. The key difference is the ones that make people money such as smallmouth bass are never frowned upon for being non native fish. Money talks when it comes to things like this.

I would imagine that this could be a good possibility. The only thing I have a question on is how long till they reach maturity of say a 50lb fish. The way people overharvest do you think they wuold make it to that weight considering how many larger fish go unreleased?
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/08 02:26:51 (permalink)
    The reason why i point out that they are native to the system is because it matters to people for two reasons generally. One, just because they feel thats is how it was, and therefore naturally how it should be. Right or wrong, who cares if in this case pointing it out alleviates their fears? Second, being native would suggest they fit in well in the particular ecosystem. Either way, those can be sticking points for some.

Thats not to say there arent many beneficial introduced species though as well.

I agree we arent too far north jt. The fact that they were in the mon river for one, proves this. Due to mainly market fishing they were extirpated, and the last one known and documented from the original native stock was in the late 1800's.
    spawnboy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/09 00:29:48 (permalink)
    Yes you are correct, Blues and steelhead were both stocked in West Newton some years back. The cats were stocked later in the season. Steelhead were only tried once if i remember correctly, but the cats were stocked on more than one occasion. My Uncle called them Alabama blue cats they were 24 plus inches when put in.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/09 13:12:39 (permalink)
    If stockings on the Mon & possibly other river was done, it would be done in scientific manner with appropriate numbers im sure to get the job done over an appropriate period of time and the results monitored.

West Virginia is currently restocking blues into some of their stretch of the Ohio river.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/04/09 13:14:25
    moose22dog
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/12 12:07:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

Just as an update, Had recieved word on this, that it is something that might be considered, and that there has been a level of interest expressed by some area anglers to pfbc.

If anyone would be interested in seeing this happen, please submit your comments here:

SUBMIT COMMENTS HERE

just submitted my comments thanks for the link wayne!!!. i belong to a pittsburgh catfish fourm and will post the link up there. even if nothing happens atleast we can say we tried!! thanks again and tight lines justin.

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/12 20:29:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for supporting this Moose! I think among many of us avid cat chasers this would be a very big deal.
    youghslunger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/13 15:42:07 (permalink)
    Perry two. Sportsmen club also stocked blue cats years ago.haven't heard of anyone catching them though.they put in some from 28"-33"
    Jetboater
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: BLUE CATFISH IN PA RIVERS 2011/04/18 19:06:09 (permalink)
    I thought this one looked a little like a blue. It was a few years ago from the Yough, about 24 pounds and 33 inches. He should be bigger by now - released in good shape.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: