Smallmouth activity

Author
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/23 17:32:52 (permalink)

Smallmouth activity

Not having my typical May for smallmouth. Made it up to the lake (and bay) the last three weekends, only catching a couple fish each day. My excuse for the first two weeks was a cold front came thru Friday, but I can't use that excuse this weekend. Anyone having better luck the last few weeks?

I am starting to think they are spawning early this year due to the warm April we had. Been catching a fair number of largemouth in the bay, but have only caught two smallmouth. Has anyone seen a significant smallie migration into the bay this year?

Jerry

10 Replies Related Threads

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 20:04:40 (permalink)
    I caught over 40 smallmouth last Sunday, all in the bay......

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 20:25:20 (permalink)
    I just got back from Erie after fishing up there all week. There are plenty of bass. Could not believe the number of bass fisherman!! Bay and lake were loaded with bass boats.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 20:44:02 (permalink)
    Yup...... so many bass boats with so much power propelling them through the water that they think they can drive right through the perch pack in the lake doing 40 - 50 mph. and not go around.   With that kind of speed and power it wont take long to drive around the pack. Have just a bit of courtesy please. Its not just me either , heard a few others near by complain too. Just Sayin'

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 21:15:05 (permalink)
    Ready2fish,

did you catch anything of size in the bay?  We crushed them today, but the average size was the smallest I've ever seen. A handful of 3lbers and the rest were smaller, with many only 12 to 14" and less than 2lbs.    I don't understand it, a half dozen years ago we rarely caught smallmouth under 15" in the bay, now they are everywhere. For the last 4 or 5 years it's seems like the average bay smallmouth gets smaller and smaller.  I'm beginning to think the gobies don't grow'em as big as some think.

Today is the only time I've been out this spring, but from what I could tell, it looks like the spawn is just getting started in the bay, just a bunch of little males waiting on the females to show up.

Today was the most bass fisherman I've ever seen on the bay at one time.
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 21:39:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I should get a different hobby.

The last two weeks I had many bass boats around me but observed very few smallmouth caught. This led me to think the bite was slow.

I suspect I may be getting on the water too late, usually 8:30-9:00 AM. Sun pretty high by then.

Jerry
    post edited by JerryS - 2010/05/23 22:04:25
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/23 23:13:36 (permalink)
    It's light at 6

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/24 08:04:22 (permalink)
    Stillhead,

The largest one I caught was 4-4.5 lbs. The vast majority were 2-3 lbs. Couple of my friends that were also out said same deal, a couple 4's and most 2-3.
    Earlier in April I was catching much larger fish.

I suspect that the larger fish are more concerned now about spawning. As you probably saw, there are males on beds everywhere (least it was that way last weekend). The females are just hangin' waiting for whatever triggers them to get it done.

As far as alot of bass fisherman, the internet and frequent publicity in print on PI has made it that way.
    It's a great fishery, plenty of places to stay, eat, socialize, launch, so all that makes PI a easy place to pick for a trip and that's basically what all the articles in the magazines say.

Back to the smallmouth size........IMHO it's good to see the smaller fish. For a long time it was tough to find the smaller fish in the size class you mention. Maybe the fish are on the rebound from the goby invasion. It seemed that for several years all you saw was larger fish. Now there is a large mix again, small, large, in between......

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/24 13:21:34 (permalink)
    I don't know much about the smallies so correct me if wrong. Wouldn't it be better to have alot of 2-4lb fish than the really small ones and the large ones. A mix of different age classes shows a good future. Just my 2 cents
    trout11975
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/24 14:33:52 (permalink)
    if you guys don,t mind me asking what is the bait of chioce in the bay for the smallies
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Smallmouth activity 2010/05/24 15:56:26 (permalink)
    Pretty much the same for largemouth. Big minnies,senkos,spinnerbaits,and they LOVE crayfish!
    Jump to: