Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake

Author
Like2Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/10 22:53:39 (permalink)

Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake

OK, lets decide on who has had the worst breakdown on the lake. Mine will be hard to beat. Three (3) outdrives in one season, one gimbel bearing cooked while helping tow another boat and one prop gone.....beware of the rocks at 4 mile; they bite!!!!

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"

20 Replies Related Threads

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/10 22:57:32 (permalink)
    LETS NOT knock on wood ... Got my Lakeshore Towing membership , preventative maintenace , and hopefully ALOT of luck . Tight lines & careful out there all ! It's gonna be a great perch / walleye season !~
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/05/10 23:00:06
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 11:29:01 (permalink)
    Can't offer a horror story of our own, and only other story would be that we helped a guy out last year that ran out of gas while heading out to help another buddy who was having mechanical trouble. We siphoned a few gallons out of our tank and got him going again... we have Boat USA ins for towing but not sure who all else provides coverage for Erie...
    Dream, can you post contact info for the Lakeshore Towing? I hadn't heard of it before and would like to see what they offer.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 11:44:21 (permalink)
    had some ugly growing pains on that lake one time the 50hp went down and all i had a was a 4hp waves kicked up cell phone at dock and dressed in shorts then the storm let loose 8hrs running back in near hypo so dam cold and wet got home at 3am back at dock at 1;30 and took a few hrs to warm up well i dont go as far with that boat and have bigger motors my big boy has twins and a full cabin to stay dry just think what all that years of taking a chance just for some fish has taught us but i been going up there for 24years and learned the hard way no dad to teach me and none of my friends had boats oo the joy of learning
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 11:48:28 (permalink)
    oo ya and my passanger still goes out i married her after that night i knew she was just as crazy as me in some ways
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 11:51:35 (permalink)
    www.lakeshoretowing.com

I purchase the Lake Erie ( all us waters package for $95.00 a year )

They also offer a $65.00 PA ONLY waters on Lake Erie unlimited tows , gas , jump start see thier website for exclusions . These packages will save your hundreds of dollars if you breakdown & cannot find a good samaritian .....
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/05/11 15:13:10
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 11:56:25 (permalink)
    boat us has lake erie packs i cant rember the price but its from one end to the other from ripley to toledo i think it was under a 100buck
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 12:15:09 (permalink)
    Boat Us complete coverage on all great lakes is about 85$ including your boat us membership and trailer assist. If they do not have an agent near by the will call another company like lakeshore in Erie PA and you will pay the agent directly and boat us will reimburse you. Most boaters on the great lakes have Boat US and I have heard VERY few isuues with them.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 12:26:48 (permalink)
    J - That is a better deal . I was reading on Lakeshore's site and they can directly bill Boat US so you would not have to pay anything out of pocket . Although for me Lakeshore is fine ; my boat doesn't leave the confides of Lake Erie and the extra $10.00 may ensure faster LOCAL service over Boat US customers
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/05/11 15:11:00
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 12:40:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

J - That is a better deal . I was reading on Lakeshore's site and they can directly bill Boat US so you would not have to pay anything out of pocket .

I knew some places did that was not sure if Lakeshore did or not. The trailer assist is great too, I had 2  flats on the way to lake O last fall and they took care of everything. It even covers your truck if something happens while towing the boat and one or both have to be towed. Hopefully I don't need em when we are Hammerin Saimens out on the big O this weekend.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6384
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 12:42:32 (permalink)
    Not on the lake but on a smaller lake up in Canada. Was about 7 miles up river (lake) from the cabin and I think I hit a turtle with my 15 HP motor. Busted a shear pin and messed up the prop. Had to row the whole way back to the cabin. Of course it started to rain and my son was bailing while I rowed. Took a long time to get back. On the same lake we towed back quite a few people who were running hell bent for election thru the stump areas and broke props. Lake when up was 3' above the stumps, when down; the tops of the stumps were just barely under water. Had one guy impale his boat on a stump. Was there both weeks we were there that summer and was gone next year. Great fishing, but very shallow in many spots.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 15:01:16 (permalink)
    I live on the lakeshore by 4 mile looked down one Saturday morning at the beach below somebody's brand new bass boat was washed up on shore by bass falls all beat to hell.I called the Fish Commision and Lakeshore towing came and dragged it off the boat was a total wreck, pretty red paint job heard it was a guy who's first time on Lake Erie with it lake blew up and got him they rescued him but not his new boat.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 18:12:18 (permalink)
    Lakeshore is the only way to go. They are the ones that came for me when I put my rig on the rocks at four mile. He had to bring a swimer to drag a line to me. He couldn't get close with his boat. Anyway I think (not sure) Lakeshore does the towing for BoatUS. When I got back he explained the packages for BoatUS can be tricky where the Lakeshore contract includes everything. They are nice folks and very professional. Take it from someone that used them. I now have the $95.00 package. Good feeling. I think the guy that runs it has one of those floating houses in horseshoe pond. He answers and responds 24/7

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/11 19:04:01 (permalink)
    Bottom line the unlimited Boat US package with trailer assist for ALL great lakes is 87.00 and if needed when in Erie PA you get lakeshores service and service everywhere else on the great lakes with a pretty stellar track record. Pretty easy choice. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/12 15:56:29 (permalink)
    Never hope to use it, but I've got the BoatUS coverage as well. I do know that they have different levels of service, but the unlimited package with trailer assist is the way to go. BTW, make sure you have good insurance coverage on your boat. You could be liable for clean up of fuel/oil, etc. in the event of a sinking or other catastrophic loss. Oddly, the best price I've found is also from BoatUS. Around $300 a year, for agreed value coverage.

Oops, almost forgot my breakdown story. Didn't break completely down, but we trolled West to the Oh line and decided to call it a day around 6:30pm. Pulled the lines, shut the kicker off and started the main motor. All was well till I brought her up to plane. Went about a half mile and started backfiring and losing speed. Limped in around 6mph, still on the main engine. Lost compression in two cylinders. Luckily no weather was moving in and the ride was almost enjoyable except for the darkness and the looming expense with the engine.
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2010/05/12 16:00:57
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/12 20:45:49 (permalink)
    Didn't happen to me, but got caught in the middle. Back in the 90's when they were catching the fish out at the 888's I decided to make a night trip. Just as we were getting into the fish I noticed that the only other boat in sight was flashing his running lights then shutting them off(even though it was after dark). I motored over and here his motor had conked out but he just kept cranking till his battery was dead, dead enough that he couldn't use the radio. He asked for a tow, well guess what, I was low on gas since I was in a hurry to get out and knew that I only used a 1/4 tank in a trip and said 1/2 was good. Ended up towing him about half way(of the 13 miles we were out) when I decided that I would be questionable getting back in on my fuel. I dropped him and called my parrents(luckily we had a cell phone) and told them to call lakeshore towing. I got them on the radio, gave the coordinates and headed for home. I waited at Wallnut for an hour without seeing anyone. Still don't know if they even got in. That winter we picked up a 10hp Merc. I'll never go on any lake, no mater the size, without an auxilary motor.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/12 21:11:28 (permalink)
    Stick to the 7Ps and youll likely never need a tow

Prior
    Proper
    Planning
    Prevents
    Pi$$
    Poor
    Performance
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2152
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/13 08:25:57 (permalink)
    I got several horror stories. We was 17 miles out when we ran out of gas. The gauge was busted. Needed 10 gals to get back to port. Because I didnt have Lakeshore AAA. They charged me $40.00 a gallon. You do the math. That was the most expensive. Got several others, like the time I sunk my 15 footer in lake city. Or the time the bilge pump quit working and I drowned the starter. This list goes on and on for me. Lesson learned though. I do not go out on that lake without the Lakeshore package.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/13 22:49:30 (permalink)
    I feel asleep on an air mattress on the shore and woke up in the middle of the lake it was on the news if I recall.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/14 11:05:53 (permalink)
    took the 24 out fishing, spun the gears out of the upper outdrive. Called brother in law who lives in girard, he brings out the 16 footer and tows me in. I watch the sun set while sitting in the harbor waiting for my turn to load (watched it for 10 min before it hit the horizon) then pfbc comes to inspect both boats. Fined us for running on the lake without lights on both boats after sunset, flares in one boat only ( I had only expected to ever have one of them on the lake at a time) and brother in law threw the throwable out in the yard to make room before he came to get me. That one was expensive.

Second one, I take my pregnant wife, 3 kids, 5 nieces & nephews, brother & sister inlaw, mother in law and mother out to watch the fireworks off of waldemere. Lower outdrive locks up. Had to call lakeshore. $365 back to walnut. The memories from waiting on him were priceless however.

Interesting note, when he cleared the peninsula, he had a terrible time locating us as the city lights behind us made it difficult to see the marker lights on the boat. Something to keep in mind when you are boating in the area. You are very difficult to see when you are backlit by the shorelights of the city.

Got lakeshore after that. Had Boat US last year.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: Breakdown Stories on the Big Lake 2010/05/14 11:35:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

took the 24 out fishing, spun the gears out of the upper outdrive. Called brother in law who lives in girard, he brings out the 16 footer and tows me in. I watch the sun set while sitting in the harbor waiting for my turn to load (watched it for 10 min before it hit the horizon) then pfbc comes to inspect both boats. Fined us for running on the lake without lights on both boats after sunset, flares in one boat only ( I had only expected to ever have one of them on the lake at a time) and brother in law threw the throwable out in the yard to make room before he came to get me. That one was expensive.

Second one, I take my pregnant wife, 3 kids, 5 nieces & nephews, brother & sister inlaw, mother in law and mother out to watch the fireworks off of waldemere. Lower outdrive locks up. Had to call lakeshore. $365 back to walnut. The memories from waiting on him were priceless however.

Interesting note, when he cleared the peninsula, he had a terrible time locating us as the city lights behind us made it difficult to see the marker lights on the boat. Something to keep in mind when you are boating in the area. You are very difficult to see when you are backlit by the shorelights of the city.

Got lakeshore after that. Had Boat US last year.

Do you carry a portable spotlight now?  We always had one on our boat and it would come in handy in an instance like that. 

My dad took my mom and aunt for a spin after a days fishing up in Barcelona, NY (luckily I was back on land cleaning fish) and he thought he had enough fuel for a quick spin.  Oops..  Talk about humiliation, he was towed in by a sailboat.

One other time, we broke down out in the first trench and we had launched from Lampe.  Something on the distributor snapped and allowed it to spin, throwing off the timing, etc.  I had to hold the distributor in the right location to make it back to port and a few times, if I'd let it move a little, she'd start backfiring or running like crap.  We did make it back in.

Other times we had the plugs load up and had to pull them on the lake and clean off the carbon but still made it back in.
    Jump to: