Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county

Author
bigcountryhuntr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/19 23:43:26 (permalink)

Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county

I have newly moved to Greentree and i am an avid trout fisher but i do not know the area at all.  Can someone please tell me where there is good trout fishing in Allegheny county.  I looked at the states site but they are very veg.  I know montour has trout but i dont know wat section.  Robinson down to coraopolis?  I love to steelhead fish but so do 10 million other people.  And since the water is cooling now trout fishing is in for me.  Any suggestions?

26 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/20 04:46:55 (permalink)
    good trout fishing in the county?  Depends on your definition of good.  If you mean enough to get you by until you get to a good stream then you've got deer, pine, and bull creeks go up the allegheny and Montour on the other end of town.  I wouldn't class any of them as good, though The upper reaches of both pine and deer have some nice water.

North park lake has trout as do a few others if you like lake fishing.

Otherwise you've got the laurel highlands or the Slippery Rock area.  Both will be about an hour and a half drive for you and both have more than a couple streams work fishing.

Where did you move from?

Thanks,
    Rick
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/20 09:54:00 (permalink)
    montour run is in AG county...it was stocked in oct.

racoon lake in beaver county was just stocked on the 14th...
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/20 10:32:13 (permalink)
    the allegheny county dtream mentioned do have fish but are not what i would call  a quality experience.  but hey its's fishing and it will keep you going until you get to 'better' places.  the closest streams are the slippery rock and neshanock creeks.  i personally prefer neshanock over slippery rock.  then you can head east to the laurel highlands, as was suggested.  there you have indian cr, laurel hill, loyalhanna, meadow run and the yough.  these are my favs to go to although there are lots more in that area you can try.

btw where did you move from?
    Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 02:42:19 (permalink)
    Turtle Creek 
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 13:22:15 (permalink)
    I am pretty familiar with the streams of northern Allegheny Co.; Pine, Deer, and Bull Creeks.  None of them are anything special, they are all just your typical in-fertile stocked streams.  Pine and Deer both have a little more fishable water than Bull.  They all can get very crowded during the season and even in their DH sections can be bad after the spring stockings. 

If you are in Greentree you would probably be farther ahead to check out the streams in fayette and Westmoreland counties.  They may be a little farther for you but, the fishing is generally much better in that area in my experiences.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 13:33:53 (permalink)
    I guess it all depends on what you're used to and the background you have. If you've been fishing Limestoners in central Pa, you may want to take up another type of fishing or be prepared to drive.  If you like fishing for stocked trout, well there's a few places that will hold fish past the opener and stocking, both lakes and streams. 
    steelheaders#1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 14:00:50 (permalink)
     There are alot of very good streams in Westmoreland County. Yough River and Loyalhanna creek are top 2 in this County. Loyalhanna had delayed harvest and regular stream. Yough you are allowed to keep 3 trout daily > if you want until regular trout season comes back in April, then 5 till Sept.1 or around that date.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 16:58:15 (permalink)
    Try the west newton or smithton area of the yough.  The fish get stocked by a couple of local clubs.  Alot of nice fish.  Also up at Confluence. 
    Here is the smithton website.  Feb. is when it usually gets updated and the fish go in at the end of Feb.  Pm me if you need some info.
    http://smithtonsportsman.8m.com/
    post edited by aranbp - 2008/11/21 17:01:18

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/21 23:16:15 (permalink)
    From Greentree you could hit a number of places in Washington county prety easily from rt.79.

Chartiers creek is not bad for bass either. There are a bunch of places from beginning to end for them, and they are a ball to catch. Not many realy huge ones, but when you find a good pocket of them you can catch them till your arm gets tired.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/22 09:28:37 (permalink)
    Just a side note, I smelled sulfur coming into Pine Creek at the beginning of the DHALO about 2 weeks ago.

Trout Unlimited has been working on Pine & Deer Creek. They float stocked Pine..
    Swans500
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/22 09:50:15 (permalink)
    There's always Twin Lakes in Westmoreland County which was supposedly stocked last week....if it is not already ice after this crap weather!!!!
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/11/22 18:20:57 (permalink)
    Speaking of the Loyalhanna, has anyone been out there lately? Hows the fishing been and what are they bitin on?

"It's a Sicillian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes..."
    bigcountryhuntr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/06 23:48:45 (permalink)
    Sorry for the late reply.  Thanksgiving break.  I appreciate all the spots.  I'm not really into the stocked trout scene.  No offense if you are.  But stocked fish will hit on anything.  Back home (Ebensburg)  I would drive to the little juniata and spring creek to fish for browns.  Nothing like catching a native fish.  Just wandering I've heard about the trophy trout waters on the yough. Now r we talking above the falls or after.  I work in monroeville so I know it wouldnt be that far from there.  I think.  Just used to the streams back home.  Thanks guys.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/07 10:11:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bigcountryhuntr

I would drive to the little juniata and spring creek to fish for browns.  Nothing like catching a native fish. 

you know there are no native trout in PA... right?
    just brook trout (char)

you won't find anything like the linestoners west of beford until you hit WI or the rockies
    Yough is close

Explore the Laurel highlands area...
    do you research or fish with a local, because the native streams are small and no one is going to "spill the beans"

esbdmb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/07 20:46:04 (permalink)
    bigcountryhuntr - I'm from Ebensburg and live near Monroeville now (Forrest Hills) - shoot me a PM, maybe we can hook up.
    nwomer79
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/07 21:11:38 (permalink)
    there are native browns in western pa.  they may have been stocked in the slippery rock but now they reproduce in some of the tribs that feed it 
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/07 23:24:32 (permalink)
    Yeah...those would be streambred brown trout. No natives in PA as mentioned Brook (char) only, there are streams that support spawning and have streambred rainbow and brown trout.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/08 10:18:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nwomer79

there are native browns in western pa.  they may have been stocked in the slippery rock but now they reproduce in some of the tribs that feed it 

those are wild natural repro populations... not native
    same deal in the little J and yough

there is also some great trout fishing in border states WV and MD
    as good if not better than SWPA
    Casparis Kid
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/08 18:03:52 (permalink)
    Linden Creek in Washington county is closer than Fayette or Westmoreland and the trout fishing is pretty good. also can fish canonsburg lake and below the spillway at canonsburg lake. It's all only 20 minutes from greentree.
    swpa fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/08 20:39:44 (permalink)
    Montour Run in the Robinson/Moon area is a great place to go. The fishing starts near where the Costco is in conjunction with Montour Run Road and continues down stream a few miles to Ewing Road near the sportsman's club. I caught a couple fish under the Beaver Grade Road bridge a month ago. The Montour Trail runs parallel to the creek and offers great access to many holes. This is an unbelievable place to fish in spring, but there should be a few fish left over now.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/08 22:19:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Casparis Kid

Linden Creek in Washington county is closer than Fayette or Westmoreland and the trout fishing is pretty good. also can fish canonsburg lake and below the spillway at canonsburg lake. It's all only 20 minutes from greentree.

I would stay away from canonsburg AT ALL COSTS !
    probably one of the worst fishing opportunities in SWPA

ORIGINAL: swpa fisherman

Montour Run in the Robinson/Moon area is a great place to go. The fishing starts near where the Costco is in conjunction with Montour Run Road and continues down stream a few miles to Ewing Road near the sportsman's club. I caught a couple fish under the Beaver Grade Road bridge a month ago. The Montour Trail runs parallel to the creek and offers great access to many holes. This is an unbelievable place to fish in spring, but there should be a few fish left over now.

montour run is an URBAN fishery for all stockers
    it is not anything special and you will be fishing for pelletheads
    Casparis Kid
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/11 17:56:40 (permalink)
    What do you have against Canonsburg ? I'll admit I don't really care for Canonsburg Lake but for a 20 minute ride from Greentree Linden Creek has some pretty nice holes. That's all I'm saying ! I'd rather fish the Yough too, but after work for a few hours Linden works.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/12 10:13:48 (permalink)
    i lived under a mile from Cannonsburg lake most of my life
    it is where I spent a lot of my time fishing while growing up
    riding my bike/walking there was first thing on my mind after school and in the summers

but this June, I vowed never to fish there again
    the trash is unbearable
    the poor water quality is such that even the carp population is on the downslope

the silting problem is out of control due to the runoff and construction above the lake
    the spillway is in such disrepair, it would not surprise me to see it break any day...
    there is even an insane push to "save the lake"

i think the dam should be destroyed
    (originaly built by Alcoa)
    restructure the stream (little chartiers) as a flowing body of water
    artifical rapids, trees, structure
    it could then be used by *gasp* kyakers and fishermen alike
    i know there is another waterway in the area that recently did this

but, as it stands now...
    it truely is the blackeye of Washington county fisheries

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/12 11:56:37 (permalink)
    The Brown Trout fishing in Lenden has been great this week!  Man, I love those brownies.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/12 13:37:50 (permalink)
    The smell of the water at Canonsburg Dam in the summer is enough to keep me away.
    NedBeatty
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Trout streams or lakes in allegheny county 2008/12/12 21:14:48 (permalink)
    My Dad fished Hereford Manor Lakes (near Zelienople) after he retired for many years.  He'd get out there in his boat and fish with lanterns at night and get his limit most nights.   You don't absolutely need a boat on that lake but if you wanna get the deep ones in the middle of the lake at night you do.   He always had good luck fishing with wax worms, meal worms, maggots, salmon eggs and minnows.  Some of those baits were seasonal and he would catch his reduced limit after labor day (5 and then later 3) for many years in the fall, whenever it was warm enough for him.    Not sure if Hereford is Allegheny County but it would be just a short cruise up I-79 for you.  
    post edited by NedBeatty - 2008/12/12 22:10:14
    Jump to: