Banjo Minnows?

Author
bigsteelie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/05 23:11:56 (permalink)

Banjo Minnows?

Hey guys/girls I have heard some good things about the banjo minnow lure, and I have also seen a pretty intriguing infomercial about this lure and was wondering if anyone on here has ever used them with success. I was thinking about purchasing a set, but wanted to get some feedback first. Thanks in advance.

12 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 00:45:56 (permalink)
    Most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen.

More fishing lure companies have caught me than I have caught fish.
    With the right technique a hook on a beer cap might make it on an infomercial.

This one does seem to work sometimes- though not nearly as good as the snake oil salesmen on tv using them
    post edited by pghmarty - 2008/08/06 00:49:44
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 01:00:37 (permalink)
    Don't buy it yet. Buy some other soft stickbaits and try them. A lot cheaper to buy 5 different packages and find out which one works the best than to pay $20 and find out it doesn't work. Soft minnow baits are great this time of year. Make sure you buy the proper size STRAIGHT SHANK hooks. Don't buy the offset tru-turns, they make the bait twist.The hook should go through the middle of the bait to make it do a side-to-side action.

Something like that although that has the weight to make it sink. Good luck any questions PM.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 07:22:30 (permalink)

Funny you should mention that...as a kid while camping, I once caught several bluegill on just that, using bits and pieces of fishing litter I'd scrounged from the banks of the river.  Dad couldn't believe it!
    FisherChic
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 08:30:41 (permalink)
    we bought it for our boys when they were younger and liked to go fishing with us lol
    it did work, I recall them catching quite a few fish with those lures.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 08:31:46 (permalink)
    Suprisingly a few years ago someone bought the Banjo Minnow for me as a birthday present.  I was a little skeptical at first but once I tried it I became a believer.  Now I haven't had great success with it around here but have slayed northern pike in Canada on it.  I go up every year and take a small arsenal of the medium minnows that have the perch color. I do very well on them.  I have also caught some nice largemouths as well.  Whether it's the banjo minnow or other soft plastics, I think the right combination at the right time will always put fish in the boat.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 08:52:36 (permalink)
    ya got a few in the box that are good for taking space not fish i put out a spoon i had from the 80s a purp spoon still does  the trick 2 eyes 5lb i have a few others and have some that have never seen water
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9852
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 08:55:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

Buy some other soft stickbaits and try them. A lot cheaper to buy 5 different packages and find out which one works the best than to pay $20 and find out it doesn't work.

I got suckered into these about 8 years ago when I first saw them at 2 AM or so...  I did catch a bunch of blue fish on them, when I lived closer to the ocean.  Nothing more than that, and haven't tried them much since.  They send you a bunch of different sizes, half you will not use.  I'd do what gobyking said.  Zoom Flukes or others like it, do basically the same thing as the Banjo Minnow.  Many of these have a much better track record than the Banjo Minnow, at half the cost and 10 times the selection.  Check out the junk bins at a sporting goods store, and you'll find some good soft jerk baits.  Some stores even carry the Banjo Minnow, and might be able to get a smaller portion to try.

Also, buying the Banjo Minnow supports the Renoski Lure Company, that is constantly posting property on Yellow Creek in Indiana County.  So, if you ever fish this creek, you may want to reconsider supporting their efforts.  Unless you belong or interested in joining the trout club, then your dues might be lowered with the purchase...
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 08:55:40 (permalink)
    The Banjo Minnows are an unbelievable lure. Lots of fisherman say they do not work that great, but I assume they were not fishing it properly. The action is great, the look is great, and the way it is rigged doesn't miss many fish.

But in the end, you can buy Zoom Super Flukes and achieve the same thing for much less!!!

Best,
    Fisher

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 12:33:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Funny you should mention that...as a kid while camping, I once caught several bluegill on just that, using bits and pieces of fishing litter I'd scrounged from the banks of the river.  Dad couldn't believe it!

As long as they get that guy that does the Sham WOW infomercials. I'm convinced he could sell me anything.

But that billy mays guy that always shouts... makes me want to stab myself in the ears with a screwdriver
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 18:26:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fisherboy86

The Banjo Minnows are an unbelievable lure. Lots of fisherman say they do not work that great, but I assume they were not fishing it properly. The action is great, the look is great, and the way it is rigged doesn't miss many fish.

But in the end, you can buy Zoom Super Flukes and achieve the same thing for much less!!!

Best,
    Fisher

I cannot agree with you more. This lure is amazing. I've used it for LM, SM, Walleye, Musky, even caught Freshwater drums and carp on it. Fisher's right, if your not catching fish. Your not using it correctly. As dumb as it sounds, mine came with a DVD instructional video. Watch it. The techniques work, and this lure is a proven fish catcher.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 20:33:00 (permalink)
    cant believe it but several years ago i bought them they do work they sort of remind me of fishing a zoom fluke.

I have become comfortably numb
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Banjo Minnows? 2008/08/06 20:42:04 (permalink)
    We go up to Canada every two years, and that's the only thing I take to fish for northerns in the weeds.  This year, everyone in the group was throwing them after watching how many I caught the last trip.  I wouldn't buy the kit.  There's a lot of worthless stuff in it that you pay for.  All you need is medium or large chartreuse for pike, black and silver for largemouth, and some hooks, corkscrews, and rubber bands.  I think you would be fine with just buying the large hooks too, unless you're fishing them for trout or crappies.  They do okay on browns in the creeks if there's a big hole to fish after they've gotten tired of everything else. 
    Jump to: