Author
Goodeating
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2023/04/19 11:45:09 (permalink)

Advice on equipment requested

Good morning all.

I am 65. I grew up fishing for panfish mainly from the banks of southern US creeks/rivers/lakes.

I have some old equipment, still works but thinking about getting me a new rod/reel.

Just  want something new.

Okay, for fishing for bluegill and the like...give me some recommendations please!

I have some budget, but don't want to spend money just to spend money. I can go north of $100 for something sweet in a rod and reel.

I prefer spinning.

What is a sweet must have spinning reel? What is a good matching rod?

As I said, don't want to spend money just to spend money, so if there are some cheap/budget reels/rods that you really like, what are they?

Thanks. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/19 21:36:25 (permalink)
I bought a Cadence spinning rod and like it. From what I had researched on them, they seem to be one of the best bang for the buck rods. They are $70, so not going to be a below $100 combo unless you go pretty cheap on a reel. I have no suggestion for that. Mine is matched with a Penn Battle 3, so combo was just under $200. Would check out the Diawa BG reel too if using in all freshwater. Although I hear they are good in salt too. I prefer sealed bearings, since I have a habit of getting splashed by waves when wading.

I do have some other sub $100 combos, but none that I would recommend. Most of the reels under $100 are either graphite or filled with plastic parts. Work okay for a few years, but then something inside breaks eventually.
Pope
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/23 11:32:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby graveydavey 2023/05/20 08:51:48
I would look no farther than the Ugly Stik Elite rod and reel combo offered on this web site FishUSA.   I own around ten Ugly Stik rods and they have worked great for me over the years. Also I buy my equipment from FishUSA, they can't be beat!
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/23 17:40:55 (permalink)
I have 2 all around combos. 8' 6" Med-lite Riversider 1 with a 2500BG and the other with a Cabelas reel both filled with briad. And when I mean all around. I use them for everything and caught everything on them. Trolled with them at Erie, thrown metal in the Niagara, drifted bait.. ect ect ect. Hopethisahelpa
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/26 15:53:22 (permalink)
I prefer longer rods when convenient. My main 2 panfish rods are a 7'6"ul and an 8'6" light action. I mainly use the light action one for heavier stuff, like slip bobbers, or spinners larger than the smallest size. I haven't shopped for reels in a few years, but likely anything above the $30 range will be great for panfish. If you haven't used braided line in the past, I suggest you look into it. Greatly increased sensitivity and casting distance. But does have it's drawbacks.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/26 19:30:49 (permalink)
I too like a bit longer. 8’-6” is huge. If you are fishing open areas, it will give you a ton of extra distance. I use an 8’-6” for my saltwater metal slinger and have used lighter steelhead noodle rod for slinging lighter baits when I am looking for distance. If fishing near overhangs, it is challenging though.. I second the braid thing. Most of the time great, but will end up with knots that are unexplainable at times. Will happen at the rod tip at times too with the longer rods and sort of an PIA. Avoid braid at all costs with small kids….
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/28 18:09:06 (permalink)
I ordered a rod and reel from a new to me site named Temu. Prices are very reasonable for panfish equipment. Got the set for under $60. and there were many more a little more. Got two units for bluegill fishing. Give them a look. You will be surprised. Good shipping time too.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/28 19:55:29 (permalink)
  This week I've been using a yellow Eagle Claw 6'6" "Feather Light" from the 1970's. Just found 3 more a minute ago new never used, plastic still on the cork handle in the game room. They were a very inexpensive rod but I love the feel. The tip is very whippy so a ton of action on a float by just a tiny twitch ov the wrist. Pretty much any smaller reel over $30 that you like should be fine.

Have 4, 9' Crappie Hunter's but don't use them, to long for me while wading most areas I fish. I stay 7' and under for wading and trouncing through brush and woods.

crappy

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/28 20:25:12 (permalink)
 If I had to buy one rod to last me a lifetime it would be a 7' Ugly Stik Pro from WM. I can't seem to break them weather running over with the truck, closing the car door or window on them and even got one caught in a ceiling fan while a jig was imbedded in my hand and couldn't reach the pull chain to shut it off  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQuJUbAQJ58

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/30 11:13:24 (permalink)
chauncy
I ordered a rod and reel from a new to me site named Temu. Prices are very reasonable for panfish equipment. Got the set for under $60. and there were many more a little more. Got two units for bluegill fishing. Give them a look. You will be surprised. Good shipping time too.

I have wondered how safe that site is. I see some nice shoes and other items for like $3. Always thought it was too good to be true type site. Have you used it for other items, any issues with it?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/04/30 11:39:26 (permalink)
My “go to” panfish rod is a Shakespeare light action 7’ rod from Walmart. Basically a model or two below the ugly stick. When fishing bobbers, the sensitivity isn’t really all that important. I can whip a bobber and jig a good clip. It also gets beat up while making my way through the woods to get to wading spots. Even though it is my go to, I really wouldn’t recommend it. The reel seat nut loosens on its own, even wrapping with Teflon tape. The two piece tip twists on it and pretty sure the eyelets will eventually start fraying my line. The reel is an old Agility that I bought to match an Agility steelhead rod (from FishUSA) that someone on here recommended close to 20 years back. Like most cheap reels, it is very loose reeling and when I took it apart to grease, it is filled with plastic parts. It gets the job done, but plastic parts will most likely fail at some point, likely when I didn’t pack a backup! The past few new reels that I have bought are metal, to hopefully last. Also much more smooth reeling and not “loose”. Very likely not catch any more/less fish, but has a better feel to me.

If fishing deep water structure the sensitivity is more important. The more sensitive the rod and lighter (the higher carbon ton rating), the more prone to breaking. The Cadence that I bought is a M action do all type “bass rod”. Use as a second panfish rod, small mouth wading, wiper fishing, my attempts to pike fish and even goes to salt water as an inshore/pier lure rod. It is 30 ton carbon, so has nice sensitivity for drifting senkos or fishing deeper water and detecting lighter taps. It very likely would not take well to shutting in a car door. The reel seat seems to stay snug and the tip portion doesn’t twist. It isn’t nearly as old as my others, so could in the future. All really depends on what your use is going to be and if you are bothered by things.
spoonminnow
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Advice on equipment requested 2023/05/14 05:47:42 (permalink)
Goodeating probably already got his set-up, but here goes for anyone else starting out.
"Shakespeare light action 7’ rod from Walmart"
Agree - but 6' for spinning and 5'6" for spincast.

Spinning reel shouldn't be too large and most light reels at Walmart go for $30 or less. It's not like you're casting +1/4 oz lures and going for 30 lb fish.

Light jigs and soft plastics get it done and cast a long distance using braid - more so using a float.
Jump to: