Author
TidiouteJetter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2022/09/02 09:25:51 (permalink)

Jet Boating the Yough

Hi - I'm new here.
I am from Pittsburgh, but have run a jet boat (Lowe 1860 Roughneck with a YAM 80 Jet) on the Upper Allegheny near Tidioute for over 15 years.  Pretty dedicated smallie fisherman.  I'd like to start exploring the Yough, but don't know where to launch to boat in a section fit for a jet boat.  I'm not looking for anyone's secret/magic fishing holes; just looking for a place to safely run my boat.

Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re: Jet Boating the Yough 2022/09/07 11:30:12 (permalink)
    I don't fish the Yough, but when I bought a boat last year we did the sea trial at this launch: Atlantic Ave, McKeesport, PA 15132 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
    - Dale Gribble
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re: Jet Boating the Yough 2022/09/07 17:54:36 (permalink)
    You can launch at Cedar Creek. I see jet boats every so often south of that area. Not sure where they launch. Looks like fun and have seen them go through some really thin water.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1939
    Re: Jet Boating the Yough 2022/09/07 20:10:40 (permalink)
    From cedar creek all the way down to the mouth should be accessible. Above cedar creek there aren’t as many options to launch a big boat.

There’s also a public launch in west Newton and one at buena vista. Neither have a dock but you should be able to put a boat in there if you really wanted to.

There are canoe/kayak launches at Smithton, perryopolis and Dawson but I doubt you will be able to put a big boat in at any of them.

I also don’t think you will be able to get up past the rapids at the Smithton bridge in a jet boat. Most of the boats I see on the yough are all below the I 70 bridge (which is between cedar creek and Smithton ).

You might be able to use the hazelbakers launch, or you could call them and they might be able to give you some advice on that section of the river. I don’t know the section up by connellsville as well.
    post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/07 20:25:43
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Jet Boating the Yough 2022/09/07 22:37:30 (permalink)
    You can join the Yough Sports people club in Coulter.  They have a nice launch and gated parking area with pavilion.   Been a few years since I signed up.
    rooo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Jet Boating the Yough 2022/09/15 19:23:05 (permalink)
    Howdy,

There is good access to the river for a jet. Look up the trail guide on the fish commission site, great resource for where to launch. The club at Coulter is currently $26/yr. but there are several other public launches.  Check out their Facebook page if interested (YSPA, Yough Sports People Assoc.).  

Use the USGS's Suttersville water gauge for water height. In my opinion, normal summer pool is around 3' and around 4' in the spring. I generally have no problem going from Coulter to Suttersville any time of the year.  

I've gone as far south as Hazelbaker's Canoe Rental in Layton after launching from Coulter on a tank of gas (curiosity :).  As a younger man, spent a lot of hours canoeing from Layton to Coulter and wanted to make the trip in the opposite direction.  Just South of Smithton, the river gets wide and shallow for a stretch, and if you have to throttle down for passing kayaks or canoes, you're gonna get stuck. So, again, water gauge is important.   I've never been south of Layton, but have heard that the stretch from Dawson to Layton is nice.  Would love to hear if anyone with a jet has traveled between Layton and the dam at Connelsville.  

I've only gone down to McKeesport once, so not very knowledgeable about that section. I do remember very shallow water near where Long Run comes in near the train trestle, but might have just picked a bad spot to traverse.

Good Luck, see you out there.

BTW,  when the BASS Classic was in Pittsburgh, there was one of the participant (don't know who he was) fishing the pool by the Norwin Soccer Fields (the first island from Coulter) in a big yellow and gray bass boat,  so even props can make it from McKeesport to Coulter.

post edited by rooo - 2022/09/15 19:33:54
    Jump to: