report Oct 12/13/14

Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
2021/10/14 18:13:04 (permalink)

report Oct 12/13/14

My youngest son (47)and 18 year old grandson and I spent a few days tying to find some calm unmolested, unchased, uncuck and ducked or  un herded fish on the Sr.
It was so bad this year that while walking in -in the dark on two mornings guys with headlamps were chasing fish out of log jams while friends waited to snag above and below in the predawn twilight.
While trying to find a spot W/o chuckers and duckers, after the brief quick mid river spurt of night runners heading to cover, we did in fact have a couple of brief moments of success.
Shortly followed each day  by guys -sometimes 2 or 3 abreast walking mid river right through your spot looking for fish to try and snag thus making our FISHING efforts futile.
Also saw guys walk close to the banks  herding fish out for waiting friends throughout the day= as one group would leave and ya might think any fish aside from the  belly or tail hooked now roped  fish were calming a bit more dopes would show up.

Have seen it all before but- likely due to a lower than moderate 'run' -more people seemed to resort to drastic measures to GET THEIRS.
Watch the river cams and it shows- Fishermen are very few and far between.
Observations are partly because I can no longer 'walk  any great distance or incline to get away from said crowds So have to be a bit closer to access points but mostly just a vast increase in anything goes style of fishing being VERY acceptable
Lower Zone where I could get was  OK- but frankly not much better -looked like slow motion chucking and ducking.

Sorry about the ranting,

Fish- not like the old days-kinda just like last year  -early push or two  but no big runs ( as yet and its getting late now).
One late afternoon we checked out the bridge over the estuary ( despite written reports) no fisherpersons on the bridge or in boats- no jumping or signs of any schools of fish.

Lots of full stringers going out but - not here , years of c&r  -and that kinda catching aint fishing anyhow..
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/10/14 18:46:55

6 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/14 19:19:28 (permalink)
    Rg, it sounds like your expectations were a bit above the lower bar nowadays. I've seen the same 35 years ago and as early as my last 10 years of salmon runs. Nothing has changed from your report.
    In saying that, I've heard the salmon run has been overall far better this season then the previous 5 I've decided to forgo.
    My understanding is Jack's secret spot is pretty well stocked and the cleaning stations below have been busy for 3 weeks.
    Maybe the majority of fish took a ride on ropes, and the lucky ones get the knife of regeneration.
    The lazy fertilizer gangs are out to clean up at this stage.

I'd give long walks to find what your after.
    Good luck and thanks for the report

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/14 19:43:19 (permalink)
    RICH__
    Usually I generally ignore the bad stuff and just move onto a more or less lonely spot- this time it came to me no matter where i went. AAAARRRRRRUUUUGGGGHHH

The cleanings stations seem busy Rich - more than I have seen in a year or two but the methodology has gone past the old bad norm and is likely responsible for some of it,
    The pushes were - hopefully- better than last years but not a run of old by a long shot
    Some of us still remember those runs of 35 or more years ago and cant judge todays fishing by them without going crazy lol.
    Frankly think the old Michigan cricket days were cleaner than what I witnessed this week.
    Got some secret spots of my own where i mighta had some privacy - havent been to puckerbrush for a longgg time --also a couple of distant rocks and eddys that call in my dreams  lol-- fear I wont be seeing any of them again - even with an upcoming spinal surgery and hopefully  throwing away the darned cane.
    Must say that the zone had lots of fish.
    Memories are great though.

HEY --get that buck-----
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/10/14 19:54:49
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/15 22:04:34 (permalink)
    From the photos I've seen on social media in the past two weeks silly season is in full swing.  I know I will catch flack for saying this but the time has come to close places like Trout Brook and Orwell so that fish can spawn without being ripped off their beds then roped.  The heroes that are doing this are not in any way, shape or form fishermen.  It's sad because at this stage those fish are a waste of time for the table whether, grilled, baked, poached, pickled or smoked. 
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/15 22:20:34 (permalink)
    I bought my place up there because of Orwell --it was  a great fishery and nursery when used properly and given respect -now destroyed by slobs.
    CLOSE IT
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/10/15 22:23:11
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/15 23:06:01 (permalink)
    TB. The SR tribs should be closed from oct 15th until may 15th. No argument from me other than the timeline

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: report Oct 12/13/14 2021/10/18 10:27:32 (permalink)
    HEY - one  real positive thing I saw while on the river was a nice mix of Hos and Steel mixed with the Kings. Been a while since they were there in any numbers and speaks well of the future.
    Many of the Steel were a nice size too
    Jump to: