enlightenment please--

Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
  • Reward points: 0
2021/06/08 10:21:08 (permalink)

enlightenment please--

Whatever happened to the huge runs of old ??
Days  ya looked downriver and could see the splashing of huge numbers coming up fast are but a distant memory.
Yea, I know about bait  issues but the old days had drought issues and down low snagging issues just like today as well as outright snagging being legal throught most of the river and still had huge runs that were pretty much commonplace.
Runs lasted into November and often started in late August in big numbers and a variety of species.
Stocking is lower now but they always said half of the fish were naturals and the fin clipping used to prove that.
The past few years have been poor at best by comparison---
I doubt that there are many more fisherfolks keeping fish  than before if those cleaning stations are any indication- heck most have closed.
Water flow isnt the answer because in todays river its much more controlled than in the past when it dropped to a tickle whenever the Electric Co wanted.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/06/08 10:24:35

4 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: enlightenment please-- 2021/06/08 13:33:06 (permalink)
    Well rg,
    I think you answered your question.
    The stocking levels are approx 1/3 rd of what they used to be. Less fish in the pond means less fish in the river by my simple math. They can say all they want about natural reproduction but I'm not buying it.

Second factor is more fish are being taken on the lake then ever before due to better technology and more boats.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: enlightenment please-- 2021/06/08 14:20:37 (permalink)
    Perhaps I have looked at the  numbers wrong- Had always figured that if half were natural and they cut down the stocking that the natural half would stay the same. 
    Perhaps over time the low stocking takes its cumulative toll and I hadnt figured that in.

Whatever its really been  lousy compared to days past.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/06/08 14:23:53
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: enlightenment please-- 2021/06/08 18:07:46 (permalink)
    Youngguru has them all in his freezer

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: enlightenment please-- 2021/06/08 19:21:46 (permalink)
    More boats , more people fishing the lake due to more disposable income to afford said boats and charters. This along with the interweb has killed it. Often before a few runs would make it through gauntlet before anyone but the local kids knew. Now the first fish is headline news and people see pics and flock. No more of calling the tip line and hearing the fishing is sizzling and get up and nothing. People can pinpoint timing to take advantage. Add in decreased stocking and there you go.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Jump to: