sign of the times

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2021/01/31 17:06:43 (permalink)

sign of the times

Don't know which forum this belong but, I just read that Babe Winkelman inc. declared bankruptcy but still hopes to continue his show. Seems like with streaming,you-tube,& other mediums it is getting harder to get sponsors for shows like his. Not only news-papers & mags but T.V. is going to fade away. I hate change. lol Also In that paper was an article about Minn. trying to eliminate small lead for fishing due to them finding some swans that died from lead poisoning. They claim that as little as 1 bb shot can kill them.  sam

11 Replies Related Threads

lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 00:10:49 (permalink)
    I don't dought that the babe is going bankrupt because he got a little religious nuts in some of his programs.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 10:00:01 (permalink)
    About a decade ago, when I was a lot closer to the outdoor industry, I friend of mine who was in charge of talent acquisition (speakers) for a local show asked if I wanted to go to a post show dinner with about a half dozen other folks and Babe. I thought it would be a cool thing to do, so I went.

It was a great evening and Babe talked about the industry, the pending legislation (at the time) about the re-introduction of wolves into moose territory in MN, and, probably the most amazing thing, as soon as the music changed in the room, he could name the song, artist, and year in about 5-10 seconds. He must listen to a lot of music on the road.

The show ended Sunday, but he didn’t fly out until Monday evening, I invited him to go pheasant hunting at the club. He politely declined saying that with the rigors of doing his shows, the constant flying, standing for hours upon hours, and lousy hotel beds, he was so beat up physically that unless the cameras were rolling and he could turn it into a show (obviously this could not because there was no film crew), he didn’t do any outdoor activities anymore.

Oddly enough, the evening before, we were at a reception for Ted Nugent, who was doing the same show, and my wife made the same offer of pheasant hunting on Monday. He also politely declined stating that his labs would be jealous if he hunted with other dogs, but I suspect the actual reason was pretty much the same.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 11:00:24 (permalink)
    TV fishing shows had the writing on the wall for a while.  The internet had a lot to do with it, but for myself and many others, I lost interest well before I was watching fishing shows online, when they would devote 90% of the show to advertising products.  I understand they are paying the bills, but most fishing shows turned into infomercials in the 90s.  Whether it was for fishing gear or the resorts that hosted them or other.  This is even the case with many of the higher production internet fishing shows.  Fishing/outdoor shows are too much of a niche market for the standard advertisers to pick up that are just fine with the regular commercial breaks.  Whether they require them or opt for the shows that are willing to put their content in the show as well, it doesn't make for enjoyable TV in my opinion.  I personally like to see the average Joe type guys that seem to know a good bit out fishing and giving tips that many internet shows/videos offer.  Like "Fish Gum" that had been mentioned on this site when talking salt water fishing.  He definitely gets advertising $ along with sales of his products, but his shows are mostly fishing or fishing related.  He brings religion into his shows a good bit too.  There is a fine line on most things in entertainment, when veering from your main theme (fishing), if you dedicate too much time to advertising, religion or whatever, you are going to lose viewers.  He seems to get close to that line and probably too far for many.  But others that likely aren't making all that much profit won't come close to that line, IMO.

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 11:27:17 (permalink)
    Crappie, 
    It doesn't surprise me about Minn. wanting to eliminate the small lead.
    Several years ago I spent some time in Vermont for my work, Hoping to do some fishing in my time off, I found out that any lead under one ounce was illegal!
    The only small stuff the sport stores had on the shelf was Tungsten, copper and aluminum!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 14:41:06 (permalink)
    Dardys, I was pretty amazed at watching Roger Raglin play the piano,which he usually does once a year. Also amazes me at how much driving most of those guys do each year.  sam
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 15:04:37 (permalink)
    Sam,

I like the line for the introduction to Jim Shockey’s the Professionals — “Sometimes the last place you want to be on this earth is exactly where you are.”

Back when I fished tournaments, that was at times the case because you paid to be there. I cannot imagine having to “be there” to earn a living.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 15:07:00 (permalink)
    porktown,I agree that most shows have way to much adveritizing but It is a business. I have been following In-fisherman for almost 50 yrs starting with the Linder bros. Now that  Doug Stange took over I think that he is very informative as he & the Linders both show what equip. that they use & why. Also I have fished with a couple of guides that they recommended & was very pleased. I have been getting disgusted with all of the electronics that they are using now,however I do think that the "spot-lock" feature on the trolling motors is great.  sam
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 15:57:43 (permalink)
    Al Linder was and still is the all round fishing master ...I like someone who chases all species of freshwater fish not just the same ho hum bass show . Last I seen Babe he looked about a hundred  pounds heavier.....guy named Babe with a wife named Charlie .

Speaking of lead sinkers I'd like to see the bottom of the Niagara River .   
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 16:57:10 (permalink)
    https://www.snopes.com/fa...niagara-falls-drained/  

Her name is Kris...
     No wonder he gained so much weight.

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/02/01 17:19:18
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 19:51:07 (permalink)
    Yea , look like good eating ......

Talk about a lot of stuff found in the Niagara Falls area ...that would be cool walking around in there when they shut it down. 

There are many suicides from the falls and bridges over the years . We seen a body floating down river while fishing from shore one day . Called the coast guard and they said they would pick it up . Looked real bloated but you could tell it was a guy . Lake Erie had some fishermen drown around that time so it could have been one. 

I have an old unbroken bottle from the Niagara river found it lying in the shore gravel bet it's over 75 years old...looks like a pop bottle from the Niagara Bottling Co.    

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: sign of the times 2021/02/01 20:49:00 (permalink)
    Are those steaks or roasts? And does Babe eat more than one in a sitting? If my wife cooked like that, I’d be right there with him.
    Jump to: