Colorado question.

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2515
  • Reward points: 0
2020/02/26 11:23:14 (permalink)

Colorado question.

The son of a guy I know lives in Colorado and has either recently or is about to start fly fishing. I was wondering if anyone could pass along some info on some flies, primarily nymphs and emerges that would be suitable to use there. I would like to tie some up for him. Thanks 

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

8 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/02/26 11:41:24 (permalink)
    Bigfoot......Danged if I know but keep that under your hat.

Did a little research and found this info.

Hope it helps ya out some.

Good times and tight lines to your buddy.

Streams
    Parachute Adams.
    Copper John.
    Elk Hair Caddis.
    Pheasant Tail.
    Woolly Bugger.
    Blue Wing Olive.
    RS II.
    Stimulator.
    More items...

Evergreen Trout Unlimited › TopTe...
    Flies for Fishing Colorado Streams - Evergreen Trout Unlimited

http://evergreentrout.org/TopTenFlies.htm

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/02/26 11:43:57

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/02/26 11:44:48 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Bigfoot......Danged if I know but keep that under your hat.

Did a little research and found this info.

Hope it helps ya out some.

Good times and tight lines to your buddy.

Streams
    Parachute Adams.
    Copper John.
    Elk Hair Caddis.
    Pheasant Tail.
    Woolly Bugger.
    Blue Wing Olive.
    RS II.
    Stimulator.
    More items...

Evergreen Trout Unlimited › TopTe...
    Flies for Fishing Colorado Streams - Evergreen Trout Unlimited

http://evergreentrout.org/TopTenFlies.htm

Thanks. Will check out site.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/02/26 11:54:17 (permalink)
    Bigfoot, my son and I did a trip out there in 2017.  I'm a spin fisherman so I don't know my flies very well, but my son is a fly fisherman.  

He got a ton of useful info by just Googling, "Colorado Fishing reports."  Many of the outfitters and fly shops out there post weekly updates, sometimes daily updates, and include hot patterns in their reports.  

A couple of the shops I can recall off the top of my head that were good sources of info for him were Rocky Mountain Anglers in Boulder; Vail Valley Anglers in Vail; Breckenridge Outfitters in Breckenridge; and troutsflyfishing.com  

There are also a few waters out there, including the Blue River, where mysis shrimp are one of the primary food sources and on those waters, that is definitely a hot fly on those waters.  
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/02/26 12:04:39 (permalink)
    I wish OverTheHill still posted here. Miss that fellow. He moved out to that area about 10 years ago (not sure of town) and for a while continued to post some great pictures. He would have been my go to for information. Dont know if he still has a membership for PM purposes or not. But if you search through old posts you may find his profile to attempt contact.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/03/01 11:11:13 (permalink)
    What’s he fishing for. If trout then I’m sure patterns for trout will work. I say tie him up some eggs, crystal meths, and other smaller flies. For bass other baitfish patterns maybe some crayfish.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/03/06 15:34:23 (permalink)
    Probably trout. I will try and find out. Thanks to all for the advice.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/04/10 13:10:59 (permalink)
    i've been fishing CO for a bunch of years now.  my cousin moved there 15 yrs ago and I got him into fly fishing, now he's hooked.  depend where you fish but most of the time I do well on larger BHPT, prince, psycho prince, copper john, RS2, pupa, wooly buggers, zebra midge, San Juan worm, annelid, egg patterns, squirrel leech, zonkers oh and hoppers to use for the dry dropper.  if you're fishing the south platte or San Juan rivers, smaller flies are the rule.  heading to the Gubbson this summer for a 3 day float, 1st time on the Gunny.  I hope it lives up to it's reputation.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Colorado question. 2020/04/11 10:31:57 (permalink)
    RIZ
    i've been fishing CO for a bunch of years now.  my cousin moved there 15 yrs ago and I got him into fly fishing, now he's hooked.  depend where you fish but most of the time I do well on larger BHPT, prince, psycho prince, copper john, RS2, pupa, wooly buggers, zebra midge, San Juan worm, annelid, egg patterns, squirrel leech, zonkers oh and hoppers to use for the dry dropper.  if you're fishing the south platte or San Juan rivers, smaller flies are the rule.  heading to the Gubbson this summer for a 3 day float, 1st time on the Gunny.  I hope it lives up to it's reputation.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy your trip. 

Jump to: