Helpful Replycwd

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2019/12/14 12:06:16 (permalink)

cwd

Just wondering, How many of you guys have found any sick deer wandering around this year,or have found any carcasses or skeletons from sick deer ?  sam
post edited by mr.crappie - 2019/12/17 12:53:10
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: WCD 2019/12/14 15:36:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sifat159 2020/12/30 06:56:00
None here from CWD that I know of.  Plenty the last several years from EHD though.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: WCD 2019/12/14 15:55:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sifat159 2020/12/30 06:55:52
None here where they wanted to bait and sharpshoot either. The largest processor in the county normally does 1,000 +/- per year with all turned over to the PGC for testing. None have come back positive since they started testing 5-6 years ago.

None have turned up positive at any of the drop off test sites either.

No one I know has found a dead deer that didn’t die of something else obvious like being wounded or vehicle related. And these people are out on their properties all the time.

A local WCO claims to have put down 3 CWD deer, but for some reason, they weren’t tested, just took his observation that they were.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: WCD 2020/12/29 18:52:51 (permalink)
Wonder how this all went away after last years bleak outlook and reports ? 

Didn't they talk about killing off hundreds of deer to slow it down ? Or taking out half the herd in those areas ?  Or am I mixed up ?

Seems like there's some serious talk needed from the PGC  
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: WCD 2020/12/30 08:59:04 (permalink)
It is still spreading and the PGC has expanded it CWD containment areas and updated its CWD program. 

My rifle is a black rifle
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: WCD 2020/12/30 09:51:50 (permalink)
They also blended it in with antlerless tags instead of the two ways the program was administered before.

When the CWD program started, it was by permit only. One had to apply for the permit and report results, positive (kill) or negative (did not kill). The advantage was that the deer could be taken the first week of the regular season, while those with doe tags had to wait until the first Saturday . It stayed that way for a few years.

Then it changed to become part of the DMAP program, but the permit could be bought over the counter when purchasing a license (limit of two) and not have to be applied for separately. Same reporting criteria — had to report or not be permitted to get one next year. Same deal with starting early.

This year it was rolled into the antlerless program by upping, in most cases, but not all, the doe tag allocation (my area actually went down, I believe, which is odd since this was an area marked for bait and slaughter). They fun part was that the meeting to change the program was held after licenses went on sale, so many, including the sellers, were surprised when the permits, that had their areas outlined in the digest, could not be bought over the counter as expected. The meeting and subsequent results were not known for weeks after license went on sale.

There were many reasons given for the delay in changing the program, none of which were very satisfactory. The theory floating in these parts, where a lot of the action was happening is that when the complete data provided under the first two steps of the program were analyzed, which contained a more realistic picture of the deer kill because it was almost 100% reported, positive and negative, the kill numbers didn’t come anywhere near matching those produced by the formulas used for decades to estimate the kill and having that data in the public forum was going to raise a lot of questions about the accuracy of their kill estimates.

Further, the number of deer confirmed with CWD was nowhere near what they projected. Some of their numbers were based on WCO anecdotal information, such as a WCO claiming to put down three CWD deer, but those deer were never tested, just his word that they were acting like they had it. Further, area landowners told them that they could not bait and slaughter on their property. They also told the PGC that they didn’t really appreciate selling the permits then involving the landowners in fielding whether they were going to let hunters on their property.

I had more than a dozen people stop and ask last year and zero this year since it was now just part of the doe tag program. None of my neighbors were approached either. In addition, no one I know was contacted by the PGC about baiting or slaughtering. Maybe they gave up.

They still have collection bibs around and processors still have to keep CWD parts and must landfill them after the GC collects the samples, but there haven’t been any published or anecdotal reports.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Jump to: