• Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2019/08/15 15:04:46 (permalink)

Wilhelm Choices

I think I'm fishing Wilhelm this Saturday (from a boat). I can:

1. Jig for crappie and perch
2. Troll bottom bouncers for waldos
3. Throw musky baits around whatever promising structure I can find

I don't know Wilhelm too well and I would like to have the best chance at some good action. What would you do on a balmy August Saturday if you were in my shoes?

11 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 17:23:25 (permalink)
    Troll small (4"ish) medium to deep diving wobbling style lures using 8 to 10 pound test line 40 to 50 feet behind your boat at a speed of 1 to 2 mile an hour.

You'll cover more water and increase your chances to catch both walleye and crappy.

As for Musky, no doubt the deeper water, at William, has warmed to the point of sending Mr Toothy to the heavy weeds looking for cooler water with higher oxygen content.

I would think before sun up or after sun down, would increase chances of getting a Tiger in your boat, lobbing musky lures near the shoreline.

Wilhelm as you probably know, sucks when it comes to structure and water depths rarely exceed 15 feet and when it does, doesn't last long. Exception to that rule will be found near the dam (18+ ft) but again, doesn't last.

Just as with any other body of water, there will be those anglers that know where and when to find the fish. Also, there will be those anglers who catch fish while the guy along side catches nothing.

As for me...... stupid fish.

Good times and tight lines.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/15 17:25:02

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 19:18:01 (permalink)
    That sounds like a decent plan BTDT.  I was thinking Hot 'n Tots, but maybe some deeper diving rapalas would fit the order better?
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 20:00:44 (permalink)
    fallschirmjaeger
    What would you do on a balmy August Saturday if you were in my shoes?

Drink beer...lol
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 20:11:28 (permalink)
    After my last trip to Woodcock, the beer plan is sounding better.  At least on Sugar, you can dock up at the hotel and grab a cold one. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 23:05:22 (permalink)
    Never had much luck pulling "Tots" at Wilhelm or Pymy and I've been buying the things since the first day they hit the shelves at Fergies many, many, tooo many moon ago. Heck,🤔 I still have the first one I bought.

I haven't fished Wilhelm since May of 18 but when I did, my go to lures were "Shad" style. in silver/black.

To assure I was at the depth I wanted to be, (line out controlled)vI set my troll speed in deeper water then worked my way toward shallow water keeping an eye on the depth finder. When the lure bumped bottom at my desired depth I'd head back out to deeper water where the bait would be about a foot or two from the bottom.

Get to know the action of your rod tip when you know there is no fish cause a change in the action means ya hooked maybe a fish or lump of weed. If the rod goes over board, ya hooked a sunken ship or sumpthin. That sucks.

Mind too, lighter line lets a lure dive deeper then when using tow rope.

Good times and tight lines annnnnd, it don't count if their ain't no pics.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/15 23:08:25 (permalink)
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    fallschirmjaeger
    What would you do on a balmy August Saturday if you were in my shoes?

Drink beer...lol

Nowwwww stop that!!! 🍻🍻🍻

Eye For An Eye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/16 07:51:55 (permalink)
    I have done well on crappies, walleye and nice sized bass many trips by trolling hot n tots at Wilhelm. Go for it! GL. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3098
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/16 08:31:41 (permalink)
    Purple Tiger Flicker Shad size 7 has been my best lure when trolling inland lakes. Have caught fish with Hot n Tots
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/17 10:32:26 (permalink)
    Trolling on Willie now. 3 smallish crappie so far with 2 being black and a better one being white....
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/17 18:32:14 (permalink)
    We ended up trolling for most of the day with hot 'n tots, flicker shad, worm harnesses and even some spoons.  We also jigged a bit and caught quite a few crappie and one perch.  Best crappie only went 10" but was thick and chunky.  Nothing much to write home about and no walters, but it was a fun day on water I've only ever fished twice before.

I have to say this...the PFBC did us an injustice by ceasing to stock pike there.  Have a shad problem?  STOCK NORTHERNS.  Not every lake in the state needs to be a big bass lake...just my humble opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Wilhelm Choices 2019/08/17 20:21:04 (permalink)
    Super to hear you had a good day on the lake and did get 'some' fish. ummm, not that I'm askin for "spotburn" or nothin like that but could maybe you hint, where ya was fishin....... so I don't waste my time going there. 😝 just kidding of course, enjoyed your report.🍻

As for Pike being stocked, careful what ya wish for. When Wilhelm first opened it was not difficult to catch those toothy critters most anytime any day. Problem was, not many over "hammer handle" size.

Yummy tasting fish if ya know how to fillet them. Which is a problem with controlling the critters by fishing. Very few anglers fish for em.

Anyways, your post got me thinkin, Wilhelm sounds like a place to visit next week to try out my new marine starting battery.👍
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/17 20:29:43

Jump to: