Update on Somerset Lake

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2019/03/04 13:56:08 (permalink)

Update on Somerset Lake

The Department of Environmental Protection has issued the permit for Somerset Lake and now the Department of General Services will begin the bidding process.  The PA Fish and Boat Commission expects to begin construction this year and be completed in 2021.  I can’t wait to welcome back Somerset Lake!

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

26 Replies Related Threads

SteelFishinMusky
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/18 14:07:05 (permalink)
    Not sure, maybe I'm missing something here since I've been away fro PA. for so long. But, maybe I'm not sure what the "Update" in this post means? I thought the lake was drained, fished removed and restoration work underway and/or completed. Is this thread stating they have NOT EVEN started or have have a construction company bid yet? Is this turning into the Tamarack disaster?  I was actually expecting to be hearing news of Somerset being filled and open to fishing again soon. Anyone know of or have any "Links" to any official news articles on the lakes situation???
    ExRaided
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/21 20:17:22 (permalink)
    I mean it's true. I was in the local paper and I drive by the lake a couple times a week. Nothing has happened to the lake since they drained it, got the fish out, then filled it back up to where it was. 
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/21 20:41:55 (permalink)
    Supposedly they have gotten their permits for the work and awaiting bids for the work.  I really doubt if the lake will be fishable for several more years.  Donegal was lowered a year before Somerset and as far as I know it's still being worked on.

I'm 72 years old and doubt if I will see it fishable again but who knows?
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/21 21:47:56 (permalink)
    Be thankful if the permits have been approved and bids are being sought.

Also keep your fingers crossed that the bids get awarded to a contractor who is dependable and has adequate resources to get-r-done.

Tamarack in NW PA had such a contractor that replaced dams at both ends of the lake. A recent post by 'pachuckles' says that work is coming to an end.

Hang in there davef, I thought I would never again fish Tamarack again and I just turned 69 the 20th of March.

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/21 23:33:28 (permalink)

After I retired 1n 2006 I spent a lot of time in my boat on that lake.  It was probably about 2 miles from my house.  I could go fish a while and if I got bored I would just leave.  I'm sure it has affected a lot of people but there probably wasn't much the fish commission could do.

I have read about Tamarack lake on here and also in the Pa. Angler and it sure sounded like a great lake at one time.  Hopefully all these repaired lakes can return to what they once were.

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/22 12:14:21 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Be thankful if the permits have been approved and bids are being sought.

Also keep your fingers crossed that the bids get awarded to a contractor who is dependable and has adequate resources to get-r-done.

Good times and tight lines.

I hear you on the dependable contractor.

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/22 12:15:28 (permalink)
    davef
    Supposedly they have gotten their permits for the work and awaiting bids for the work.  I really doubt if the lake will be fishable for several more years.  Donegal was lowered a year before Somerset and as far as I know it's still being worked on.

I'm 72 years old and doubt if I will see it fishable again but who knows?

I'm 67 and may get to fish it some day.  But who knows when.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/22 22:56:57 (permalink)
    Small lakes, BIG memories.

Never saw the lake itself but often wondered what it would be like, everytime I drove by and saw the Somerset Lake signs, on my way to and from Harrisburg.

I could never stop in my big truck while trailer trucking but now that I'm RV trucking..... who knows?

Good times and tight lines. 🍻
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/22 23:03:32

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

SteelFishinMusky
    New Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/29 23:10:08 (permalink)
    Long story; but I left Pgh when I joined the military after all the mills shut down and the entire metro area was laid off. The Pa Fish Commission was terrible then, outside the trout program. While in the military I fished NUMEROUS states. They all had better "fishing" programs than PA. Those states proved the fact PA programs were lacking.

Now that I plan to retire back home (probably NW PA), researching the internet doesn't show any signs that the PA Fish Commission has improved. Even in the slightest bit.  Are they ever in the news being questioned? Are they protested against or challenged???

I mean why drain a lake, remove the fish and then FILL IT BACK UP, before the construction work is started?

Why drain the lake, remove the fish, THEN decide to bid a contract? Shouldn't the back hoe/earth movers bid be awarded, paid and them standing by to start work the minute the last fish was removed?

I'm not understanding.....Why was the lake filled back up devoid of fish? Why was it filled back up without any work being done while it was down?

I forget what state I was stationed at. But, they had a dam breach. They purchased property behind the dam, built a new dam first, behind the old one, lowered lake levels half way (fishing still allowed) then demolished the old breached dam. Walla, the Lake was filled up and back to normal.

Is the PA fish commission planning on building fish habitat at Donegal, Tamarack or Somerset, while the waters out. Dredge out channels, add boulder/gravel mounds, create points, dropoffs & gravel flats, etc., etc.

Where's all the big fish programs other states have???  Catch a trophy walleye, bass, crappie, muskie etc. Call the fish commission; they come get the fish and use it for milking/breeding.  Fish commission gets it mounted for you for donating the fish to the program. You get a mount of your trophy, the fish commission gets a breeder with trophy bloodlines. You put together a 450 lb, 7 ft 3 in male with a 400 lb, 6 ft 7 in female, your gonna have some big (trophy) babies. Imagine the money that would pour into the state, into commission and the program if they filled the 3 rivers and the Susquehanna River with 50 inch Musky bloodline off spring??? 8 lb largemouth offspring in certain bassy waters, trophy walleye offspring in Erie and others big waters???. Monster Striper offspring in Raystown etc., etc., etc.......

Instead, they stock 600 fingerlings in a lake hoping 1 or 2 survive, instead of letting them reach a sustanable/survivable size.

SO I'm asking those of you living in PA right now, is there anything that can be done? Are they getting complaints at their public meetings? Or are they so politically protected (corupt) that they're untouchable? Or am I just wrong and they are doing a better job than it appears?
    post edited by SteelFishinMusky - 2019/03/29 23:15:03
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/03/30 12:41:29 (permalink)
    There are no dredging's scheduled at Somerset.  I know it's only gossip but a friend who used to work at PBS coals locally told me his company offered to dredge lake Somerset about 25 years ago when it was lowered.  They offered to do it for free in exchange for the dirt but were denied.

There have been numerous fish habitat devices used in Somerset in the past.  Some looked like low picnic tables and most of them ended up with 5 fout long planks of wood washed up along the shore line with nails sticking out.  Most are now covered in muck and mud.

I had waded around the edge of the lake last year about two weeks before the fish were removed.  There was so much mud and fill that I saw very few empty beer cans and soda bottles in the muck.  I'm assuming they were all covered by the silt/mud.

I do think the fish commission guys do care about the fishery but there are probably so many government regulations that the job may be impossible. 

GilliganJR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/01 09:35:52 (permalink)
    SteelFishinMusky

Now that I plan to retire back home (probably NW PA), researching the internet doesn't show any signs that the PA Fish Commission has improved. Even in the slightest bit.  

if your steel fishin for musky, then maybe you should look into how the state has changed its musky stocking program...  its on the internet. 
    SteelFishinMusky
    New Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/01 21:13:33 (permalink)
    GilliganJR, actually that's one reason I posted. Been mainly a bass fisherman since I left PGH back in 86. I've seen some writings on some Musky club Facebook pages and some other forums. Some talked about attending public open meetings with the PFBC but didn't seem too impressed/satisfied. However, I realize that they are ONLY concerned with their Musky agenda, while the fish commission has to spread the wealth and resources. I've looked for articles or sights. Even looked at the PFBC sites/article I could find, but I'm not seeing much in the way of the current program or the changes over the years.

DO you have anything specific in mind? If its not to much trouble, do you happen to have some site suggestions or links to anything specific that would help me out??? Most things I find when I "search" PA Musky fishing come up with nothing but "old" articles.  If you don't mind me asking are you a Musky fisherman?  Thank you, for the response.

Edit:
    GilliganJR, I'll admit it, I'm "ole school" and a dumb**** After I posted above, I googled PFBC Musky Program & got to this link. For Musky fisherman that haven't seen it, it's a MUST see. "Opened my eyes" and got me excited. Gonna start planning a trip back home this spring, first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip! If your a Musky fisherman, I owe you a fish'in trip sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=487&v=_-TPd45ft54
    post edited by SteelFishinMusky - 2019/04/01 22:01:54
    GilliganJR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 10:26:55 (permalink)
    told ya 

also, pay your $12 voluntary musky tag.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 13:30:30 (permalink)
    Not to put too much of a downer on you here, but there's this lake North of Pittsburgh called "Hereford Manor."  The upper lake was drained in 2003, and the lower lake in 2011.  There have been talks, studies, legislative promises, etc since then.  I drive past it every morning.  It is a field currently.  I expect it will still be a field after I'm on a beach in Florida retired.  Such is PA.  
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 15:28:02 (permalink)
    The only lake that I have seen drained and get repaired ASAP is Kyle Lake in Jefferson County....only cause I-80 is downstream of the dam.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 18:28:15 (permalink)
    ZelieSam
    ...but there's this lake North of Pittsburgh called "Hereford Manor."  ...I expect it will still be a field after I'm on a beach in Florida retired.  

crappiefisher
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hunting-fishing/2012/03/11/North-Park-Lake-has-new-lease-on-life/stories/201203110170

There is a give and take for living in areas with higher/lower taxes.  
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 18:38:23 (permalink)
    Pork,

What are the boundaries (area) for submitting a report under your Southwest fishing report page?

crappy
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/02 19:14:04 (permalink)
    SteelFishinMusky, if you're lookin' for a lot of good info and really want to find out what's goin' on in the western part of the state, there is a local club called 3 Rivers Musky Club. Both of my boys belong to it. Meetings once each month with guest speakers, (often from the PFBC), they have many members who are tackle manufacturers, and always have lots of goodies for door prizes at the meetings. They do a few tournaments every year; ie Lake Arthur, Allegheny and Mon Rivers, and I think Pymie. Both of the boys like it.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    SteelFishinMusky
    New Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/04/03 21:23:40 (permalink)
    EMitch, thank you for the info. I did run across a "Facebook" page or something that mentioned the club, but didn't pay too much attention since I'm currently living outta state. I may consider looking into joining or putting my name & info out there just to get what info I can and to get up to date.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/10/19 19:44:07 (permalink)
    Looks like they awarded a contract for spillway repairs.  Anyone know if there is any activity up there?  They say they are draining it for construction to start.

davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2019/10/19 22:04:14 (permalink)
    I was up to the lake one day early this week.  It's pretty well empty with no work going on that I could see.  Walked from the breast down past the cove where the osprey nest was.  I was also over to Donegal about a month ago.  Seems like a lot of work has finally been done there.  Lake is also empty but I read somewhere they expect to refill it thru spring and then stock trout.

Don't know about yours but I figure Somerset is done for my lifetime.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2020/01/23 17:15:16 (permalink)
    I drove past the breast today and went to the boat launch area.  There is equipment at the breast doing some work .  Probably getting ready for major work in the spring.  They have some dirt moved and have the black sand tubes laid out on the ground I assume to help with water runoff.  On the drive back to the launch they have flag markers on both sides of the road all the way to the current launch area.  I have no idea if any work will be done to the road.

They did clear a large area of pine trees on the left side of the road about half way from the gate that is usually open and the launch.  No idea what that is for.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2020/01/23 19:58:28 (permalink)
    Any progress is good at this point.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2020/01/24 12:20:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Dave.  Last time I was up that way all I saw was equipment parked at the breast.   No activity was going on.

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Update on Somerset Lake 2020/03/10 13:05:25 (permalink)
    Any activity going on at Somerset Lake?

Jump to: