shenago eyes

Author
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/04 11:58:16 (permalink)

shenago eyes

Just  wondering if any of you are doing any good with Shenango eyes? Have done pretty well in the past. But  it has gotten tougher each year. Have picked at a few this year. But no numbers to speak of.
Not asking to spot burn. just a general discussion about success or techniques. Spoke to fisheries Biologist for area. Wasn't overly optimistic. lol.  Probably because not putting many eyes in the last several years. 
Have caught a few nicer fish trolling. 21 Incher Saturday. But don't think its a coincidence that I see the boats being trailered north on 18 to pymy while I'm fishing Shenango.
. Just would be nice to avoid the extra drive and crazy weekend crowds up there.  But if you don't put em in, Don't see how it can be very good.JMHO   Thanks in advance.       

6 Replies Related Threads

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/05 15:41:35 (permalink)
    Walleye seem to be getting more rare on Shenango every year, a certain few who put the time in pick up a few . Your right they have slowed stocking of Walleye down to a crawl on Shenango so good luck in the future. The Inland Walleye program is a total failure to lakes like Shenango....start Bass fishing here or head north to Pymy with the pack.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/05 15:57:46 (permalink)
    Do not fret, the PFBC is floating the idea of voluntary permits, which will "support" the fisheries 

https://adventures.everybodyshops.com/voluntary-permits-might-support-fishing/
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/05 16:26:54 (permalink)
    If they gave you a pin or something to show your support I believe it would work or at least help some . Like the 3CU pins ...I've supported them for at least 30 years with a 3 dollar donation every year ....like collecting the pins too ! 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/05 20:04:35 (permalink)
    Are the trout up to RT 18 yet?

Won't be a "voluntary" trout permit you'll be needing, to fish Shenango River Lake, in 3 years.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/06 10:13:28 (permalink)
            Thanks for the comebacks guys. I'm 57 and have fished primarily Pymy, Erie and Shenango most my life. Have done the Erie thing. Had great success there at times with Walleye , perch and smallies   even had one 22.5 6.10 smallie make The in fisherman . Some really good days at pymy for eyes and big slabs. About 6-7 years ago we had multiple 2 limit days for the walleyes on Shenango.. Being from New Castle, I was elated at the prospect  of such good fishing so close  home.  I have really poor night vision due to a couple eye surgerys that didn't go so well. So the idea of less travel sat well with me, I really believe that its all relative when it comes to hunting and fishing.   A nice 10 pt you worked hard for on pressured land is as much a trophy as a monster buck you payed big money for.IMHO   And 2 or 3 fish days at Shenengo was as gratifying as dragging in limits with Dipseys and 30lb test.
    I work for the state. I know a little about how they operate. I know how sometimes resources are allocated based on who has the most 'pull".   Its not uncommon for 200 boats to fish pymy on a weekend day. And maybe a handful at shenango.     Maybe some of us can try to form a group or committee to address improving Shenango. I'm willing if anyone else is. ?
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: shenago eyes 2018/06/06 19:34:31 (permalink)
    Shenango still has good fishing ....Crappie were on fire earlier this season and nice size ones too, and you won't find bigger Stripers anywhere near our Shenango Lake hogs. Lots of nice Catfish to be had and big Flatheads are showing up. Pike seem to be holding numbers too. Largemouth are big and seem to be all over the lake shores. Walleye and Musky are very limited catches neither are caught in any real big numbers but there are a few around. With higher boat traffic and skiers Shenango can be tough to fish compared to other local lakes. It also runs deeper and has very few weed beds and rip rap. It also has a good population of White Bass that become real active feeders in mid summer. With Walleye stocking numbers being cut hard the past few years, I doubt Shenango will be the Walleye lake is was 10 years ago or past. 
    Jump to: