Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2018/05/09 08:52:24 (permalink)

Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing

What a sad place to see now days . A beautiful river full of nice flowing water , deep holding holes, wildlife all around, bug hatches rising off the water and NOBODY FISHING ANYWHERE ! I walked along the banks just to witness any activity and it was like walking around an abandon ghost town. What a shame to see such beautiful water and not a soul fishing.

For over 50 years it's teamed with fishermen of all ages but now no young kids , no senior adults , no handicap persons at the pier...nobody ! Since the halting of stocked Trout along with Walleye the river is about void of just about all fishing activity. The PCB elevation has put a death wish on Shenango River. I still don't understand it because about 30,000 plus people drink this water daily yet it isn't stocked with fish because the PCB levels are too high in fish ????????????? Lots of questions but no answers , just an empty river that looks as nice as any river in Pa.  

A sad loss to all fishermen young and old. We need more answers as to why this has come about .

Captain Hook

10 Replies Related Threads

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/05/11 17:05:10 (permalink)
    I love fishing there but I wanna eat to really sucks iv been thinking of going there but its happening elsewhere

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/05/12 23:24:38 (permalink)
    I guess Lower Shenango will be the first 100% catch and release all species river in all of Pa. !

Thanks to PCB's  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/05/13 08:18:22 (permalink)
    Or a bull chyt excuse to stop stocking trout below the dam and pollute the lake with a foreign species of fish very few people eat and is one, if not the biggest burden on the budget.

Salt to the injury, from what I'm hearing and reading, most of the new area now stocked with trout, is not accessible by foot???

You be the judge.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/05/13 08:20:18

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/05/13 09:06:01 (permalink)
    Yea I talked to several who have fished there and it's a challenge to get access to good fishable water. Mainly lots of high banks and timber around, Trout are there.

Anybody trapping beavers this fall ?
    This stretch of water upstream and down is "loaded at night "with beavers !   5 counted in one area , 4 in another not far away.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/05/13 09:46:42 (permalink)
    I used to trap that stretch when they where worth the effort the entire river is chalk full of them otters to never seen one in person but iv seen plenty of sign wish they would give permits for our region

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/07/31 12:25:43 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/07/31 18:25:50 (permalink)
    Let me just say this, "KUDOS" to the "Shenango River Watchers" for their dedication in keeping the river and it's banks clean and safe.

Next I would like to say thanks to Brock for posting a link to very important information.

We now know how and why the river has once again been polluted with a chemical that is known to cause cancer as well as other significant health problems.  The article tells us the chemical can be ingested by persons swimming or eating fish from the contaminated waters.  However I failed to read anywhere, in the article, advisories/warnings regarding the use of the water for food preparation or drinking.  

Certainly many more people have been exposed to the chemical than just swimmers or anglers eating their catch.  So I have to wonder, like the lead poisoning that occurred in the Detroit area a few years ago, will residents using the polluted river, for their daily water supply,  be getting tested?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/07/31 18:28:17

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/07/31 23:29:01 (permalink)
    Thanks ......seems like certain companies are dodging responsibility for further clean up. Hope this can get resolved within a few years . Westinghouse has been closed for over 40 years yet these cancer causing chemicals still persist in our waterways. Seems the original company (Westinghouse ) should accept responsibility 100% ! 
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/08/04 19:08:09 (permalink)
    never fished there always wanted to but the PCB's being so high more worried about the people that have no clue what's going on . I have not drank  my or any tap water in so many years I cant remember .  
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2018/08/05 11:26:46 (permalink)
    Yea according to the article they are arguing about putting Don't Eat signs up. Seems the EPA and DEP should at least be responsible for a few signs at several bridges and parking areas ! I mean what are we talking money wise for maybe 5-6 signs just to make sure all know the warning. A lot of younger fishermen don't need a license so they don't get a book with fishing details and laws . Seems just a joke to me that the DEP / EPA splattered all the news media with the news about the PCB's too high in the fish but then play the no responsibility game with a few signs that probably should go up just for general purpose !  Some federal agencies are just a joke with wasted money they spend, then when they should spend a few bucks for something that makes sense the don't !   

That river held fantastic fishing for many years all year round, still has good fishing especially for Smallmouth! The Trout are gone and the Walleye numbers are down thanks to our beloved PFBC and Westinghouse PCB's. Muskies , Stripers , Catfish are still around in lower numbers but can be caught. It has easy access and parking , lots of room to fish , good current and is clear most of the time. Lots of good eating bars and restaurants nearby also !

Never got skunked ever fishing Shenango River ! Always some kind of fish biting.  

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2018/08/05 11:46:56
    Jump to: