Anyone buy a boat out of state ?

Author
PAJAY
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 280
  • Reward points: 0
2018/04/24 21:19:44 (permalink)

Anyone buy a boat out of state ?

like OH. or WV. any problems getting a registration for Boat or trailer ? 

6 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/24 23:21:23 (permalink)
    We have bought from NY, NJ, Maryland and Kentucky. The paperwork is a PITA but can be done as long as you have the paperwork notarized in the state you buy in, which is how we did it each time. Trailers are especially tricky if they aren't a recognized brand with a previous title and stamped numbers on them,  you may even get stuck having to register it as a home made, which is a whole lot of PITA to accomplish because it has to go through a specialty inspection at an inspection station certified for home made trailers. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/25 11:05:44 (permalink)
    My pontoon was from Ohio.  Never did get the trailer plated right.  0/10 would not do again.  
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/25 19:48:19 (permalink)
    that's the problems i was afraid of . 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/25 22:23:12 (permalink)
    Pajay we have all run into some PITA situations when buying vehicles/trailers/boats from individual owners across state lines.

If in fact, you are not buying any of the mentioned from a dealer, simply contact your local state Representatives office or a Notary Service and inquire about your plans. Then you will know exactly what you will need for a smooth transition back home in PA. Don't miss out on a good buy because we had issues and wanted to choke somebody.😁 Just make certain the people you speak with know exactly what you are doing and are from the county from which you reside. For example, don't get info from Lawrence County if you live in the state of Allegheny.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/26 20:12:47 (permalink)
    I stopped at what I consider the friendliest boat shop in my life in WV this week looking at a new Tracker lady gave me out the door price no problem didn't try to sale me anything she was awesome . she also said she will cross state line and get all the PA paperwork done for me . I don't want to buy a used boat really but like a used truck if only get few months out of the motor an $10,000 lawn ornament would suck . 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Anyone buy a boat out of state ? 2018/04/26 20:22:38 (permalink)
    It don't count if there ain't no pictures.    Hope your dreams come true PAJAY we "will" be waiting, for pictures!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: