Livesville Mooring Help

Author
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
  • Reward points: 0
2018/03/29 16:19:50 (permalink)

Livesville Mooring Help

Ok, first I apologize cause I know this is rehashed from last year.  I was looking to get a slip at the Linesville Marina and backed out at the last minute.  Well, I didn't get out near as much as I wanted to last year, mostly because I am relegated to fishing alone and with the constant zoo at Linesville I balk at going.  I don't want to be THAT guy that holds other people up from loading and un-loading. But I figure if the boat was already there, all I would have to is drag my butt outta the jeep with a few essentials and be good to go.  Course I still would have to go through that bs of registering my boat in Pa since I am an Ohio resident
I know someone (forgot  who) was giving me advice because they currently had their boat moored there.  Would like to pick his brain again.  But I am looking for any constructive advice (opinions) on the do' and don'ts as well as the pros and cons of this plan.  Lol, I was already advised of the poop conditions and the lurking spiders, but some of my concerns were a little more basic, and particular to fishing boats, not pontoons.  
Any who have moored a boat, do you keep the batteries and the gas tank in or lug it in and out every time?  Most of the other stuff would only take me a couple trips and don't weigh anything so the only concern would be the heavy stuff.  The other thing I'm trying to figure out, (and I'm not a stupid guy), is how the hell you put on a snap down mooring cover.  Anyhow, and input would be greatly appreciated.  Would hate to part with my boat but It's not fun launching by yourself when you have twenty people in line behind you, which anymore is a typical Linesville week day.
Who knows, someone out there might be getting a helluva deal on a fishing boat.  
Thanks 

"Fair winds and following seas..."

10 Replies Related Threads

ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1256
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/29 16:57:33 (permalink)
    Opsman,
      I was the person you talked with last year about mooring at Linesville. I'm not going to moor there this year we cancelled out slip.Yes it is nice just leaving you truck in parking lot and going out to your boat,BUT the bird and poop issue is really bad There were times I didn't even want to touch my mooring cover or even kneel on the dock to uncover it.Its an actual biohazard!!!!I pulled my boat out at end of July just couldn't deal with it anymore.Also numerous weed beds and lily pads everywhere would clog the motor quite a few times ,not to mention the fishing just was horrendous most of the season. If you do get a slip get on in from 20 or less mine was # 38 way out seems the oats in close to shore weren't pooped on near as bad as the ones further ou.t. Plus as season wears on like mid june and later the fishing gets better causeway south takes me too long with a 20Hp to get there fron Linesville so I'm trailering and launching wherever we fish this year. Hope this helps. My campsite is 1 mile from Snodgrass and 2.5 miles from espyville launch much quicker than running to Linesville .

ICENUT(Bill)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/29 19:52:32 (permalink)
    Opsman for once..... wellll maybe twice, I shall try and not sound stupid. Uhh.... never mind but anyway, my sincere advice to you is, it sucks to be anyone behind us old dudes.

Don't matter, if people were stuck behind me on the links, at a boat dock, in highway construction or, Arby's drive thru my advice to them was and remains the same. "If yinz didn't want to get stuck behind my slow asz, yinz should have left earlier!!!

So let me be perfectly clear in saying, get out there, launch your boat and go enjoy yourself.

Besides, proper practice makes perfect and you just may find..... in time, it's you being held up at the launch.

Uhhh, let me restate that to read.... it's you "waiting to launch" your boat.

Hey on another note, have you noticed all the rain?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/29 21:58:56 (permalink)
    I find going early beats the crowd and fishing is usually much better too. I launch 90% by myself and it's no trouble when your early and not in a hurry. I'm a first daylight fisherman so launching a half hour before daylight is common for me especially since I'm retired. Most times nobody is around so no fuss.When I come back in 4-5 hours later the docks are usually empty too...except for the late snoozers just heading out....like BTDT....lol

mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/29 23:33:34 (permalink)
    Captain ... I just knew I was going to see BTDT ‘s name 👍👍😜

STEVE.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/30 00:16:29 (permalink)
    I too am a early fisherman and most times i have snodgrass to myself when i launch. Or when the wife decides to go we arrive at 9ish and deal with the comedy.
    From the morons that think because they have a 40k truck and 50k boat they get first dibbs on the dock to the hey ive never backed a boat up so let me take up both sides of the launch with my boat jack knifed with the motor touching one dock and my truck the other bafoons! Have patience and laugh at them while u wait!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/03/30 05:40:25 (permalink)
    Dave I know you have seen your share of those morons at the boat docks but don't forget about us old miserable retired truck drivers trying to get launched, we just back over anything in our way. 

Even gooder, if there wasn't a launch sight where we are backed in, there's sure to be one, when we leave. 

Heh hehh... forgot something,  stupid safety pin!!!

Mopars and Captain, let me just say this.....    and of course tight lines .   
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/03/30 05:46:44

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

roygpa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/04/02 10:19:16 (permalink)
    A Bird-B-Gone Bird Spider 360 will deter birds from sitting on and pooping on your boat cover. Might need two of them.
    Two years ago my "green" pontoon canvas roof was white with bird poop.  I added a bird b gone in mid August of 2016 and last year didn't need to clean it once. 

BIRD-B-GONE
    Bird Spider® 360°
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/04/02 16:41:44 (permalink)
    That be great for ice fishing!  A line and hook on each arm....lol

What about spiders ? My son's pontoon gets loaded every summer under the tarps every trip! 
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1256
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/04/02 17:21:41 (permalink)
    There are dozens of the bird be gones at Linesville docks and most were ineffective I actulallyu seen birds sitting right alongside of them. If your boat was moored closer to the shore you were somewhat ok but further out on docks it was terrible!!!!Also many many more birds congregate at marina docks that on personal boats moored along the lake.Their there by the thousands!!!!!!! And yes ther are spiders to.
    roygpa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Livesville Mooring Help 2018/04/04 09:28:08 (permalink)
    My wife is on spider duty, she kills them with a broom.
    Last year I saw some sort of wasp land on one of the spider webs and he plucked the web like plucking a guitar string. The spider came out to investigate and when he got close enough the wasp grabbed the spider and flew off with it to eat for breakfast. I wish the wasp would come by more often. :)
    Jump to: