More Squirrel Tales

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/19 06:35:33 (permalink)

More Squirrel Tales

With archery season over its once again time to chase the small game with the dogs. In between running Nina, I took the opportunity to take Elsa the crazy feist dog for her first squirrel hunt Tuesday afternoon. Happy to be out on the hunt, she wasted no time putting the first one up a tree, and then following the good sized grey as it bounced through the treetops before it finally came to a rest. Dropped it and as soon as it went in the game bag she was off to find the next one. This dog is a squirrel hunting machine, and managed to tree 13 others. Had 3 that were close enough to neighboring houses that I didn't shoot, numerous den trees, one grey that wouldn't cooperate and kept switching sides of the tree when I would try to get a shot, and put 2 more in the bag. Ended up with 2 greys and my first ever black squirrel which was pretty cool.

Only downside to the day was there was ticks everywhere. Hunted all archery season in this woods and only had a few on me, but Tuesday I found myself wiping them off my pants nonstop. Finally broke down and bought some permetherin spray for my clothes, so hopefully its no longer a problem.

This Thursday will bring on the annual Thanksgiving morning squirrel hunt that my father and I have done for a long time. As a bonus this year my sister will be home with her kids. My nephew is 6 and doesn't get much exposure to the outdoors other than when he visits here, but has asked my dad and I numerous times about going hunting. Think this will be the year we will take him out and let him get his first taste of it. I'm sure he'll have the ambition to go, just hope he handles it well when the dead squirrels hit the ground šŸ˜•

9 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/19 19:48:29 (permalink)
    Sawyers seems to work on the ticks pretty well. I hope you checked the pooch?  I'm missing bunny hunting real bad, and Bella. I did something new the other day took my high power air gun 22. Caliber and shot a fox and grey behind my house. Both where under 20 yards and both died just a quick as my  22. Rim fire .Only thing is the range,you can't reach out and drop at 50 yards like the rim fire.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/20 04:32:00 (permalink)
    Definitly checked the dog and ended up combing quite a few off her. My dad had lapsed a little on the flea and tick drops, so needless to say she got a new dose the next day. Good to hear you got a few with the airgun. My buddy bought one last year that I got to shoot a few times and that little sucker seemed pretty powerful for a pellet gun. Impressive to hear that they can drop a squirrel just as well as the rimfire.

My condolences again about Bella. Its never easy, especially when the season comes back around and you think of the past times afield. Take care and happy Thanksgiving BT.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/20 07:23:23 (permalink)
    Chasing squirrels is something I have not done in decades. I think most hunters back in the day cut their hunting teeth on squirrels ā€” probably first with a shotgun and then a .22 rifle.

It was great training for learning to spit game in the woods and hunter safety in actual practice. It was basically deer hunting prep school.

While in HS, I got pretty good at it. Not because I was a great hunter, but because I outfitted my indoor target rifle with a 20X scope (had to use peep sights for junior competition) and could tap them on the noggin pretty easily from 75 yards in (shooting roughly 1,500 rounds per week on the range for practice didnā€™t hurt either).

The problem was, while I really enjoyed my Grandmotherā€™s squirrel pot pie, I really hated cleaning and skinning them. But that was another learning opportunity ā€” the youngest cleaned and skinned all the game (with the exception of deer, until a little older) that my Dad and brother shot. It taught anatomy and shot placement.

I do hear you on missing past dogs too. Although I still have a brace of Pointers, at this time of year I find myself sometimes calling them the wrong names as the wish to share another hunt with those who have gone on seems to grow strong. Unfortunately the only way to get over the grief is to get another and set yourself up for the same sadness again.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/20 18:19:40 (permalink)
    Dradys, we're from the same generation. I cut my teeth hunting squirrel and rabbit hunting,first couple years a old 410 bolt action shotgun,then I worked and entire year without pay,and my grandfather bought me a Stevens side by side 16 gauge. Once I started driving I bought my first 20 gauge over an under, it was a beautiful balanced cheap import that killed a semi full of rabbits and pheasants. After several trips to the gunsmith,I bought my first Browning Citori in a 20 gauge. You are absolutely right about skinning those tree rats,and and spot on about teaching you how to still hunt ( basic training for deer). Your so right about calling my dogs of past hounds,and also very spot on about bringing home that little puppy,knowing dam well somewhere down the line your going to cry like a baby,on their last day you have with them. I do need another pup and your dead on again about set yourself up for that sadness. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about that little doggie.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2017/11/20 18:21:29
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/22 18:48:59 (permalink)
    Had Elsa out the past 2 afternoons getting warmed up for tomorrows hunt. Yesterday I decided to try a gamelands I've driven past loads of times but never stepped foot in. Loads of oak trees and a lot of grapevines made it look good, but unfortunately it was not the squirrel haven I thought it would be. In fact the area had very little sign of any game around. By the end of the afternoon 1 tree equaled one nice grey.

This afternoon we went to a gamelands close to my house that I've visited many times. 2 trees in a short run produced 2 fat foxes. Also saw 8 turkeys and a few deer.

Pretty pumped up to take my nephew out tomorrow. Talked to my sister today and she said he's been telling everyone how he's going hunting with papa and myself. Will be hitting the woods behind my parents which is just loaded with the little critters, so I'm sure he'll get some action. Should be a great day.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/22 19:16:20 (permalink)
    Right back atcha crappie slayer. We'll be looking forward to another great story and pics of the hunt. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving from me and mine to you and yours.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837ā€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/23 20:36:53 (permalink)
    Hope you all had or are still having a great thanksgiving.

For me the day started out with a call from my nephew while I was getting in my truck ready to head to my parents house. Thought I was going to be plenty early, but he had been up since 6:30 and was anxiously wondering why I wasn't there yet, so I fired up the ride and made the short drive over. Got the hunting party together and made our way into the woods with the dog.

Started the trek across the pasture when he asks me "what's that white thing in the woods?" Look over and there is 2 doe slowly bouncing their way away from us. Made it just inside the edge of the timber and Elsa went to work immediately. Put a nice grey up a nearby tree, but this squirrel was having no part of being dinner and proceeded to lead the dog on a chase shooting up, down, and around about a dozen trees before finally finding a safe haven behind the neighbors house. It was quite comical to my nephew. Dad retrieved the dog and it was off to find the next.

Worked our way out onto the gas line where once again Elsa did her thing and took off like a lightning bolt toward the next target. Another grey treed, but this one was nice enough to stay still. Took a little bit, but Colton was finally able to spot the squirrel tucked into the tree ****. He took a few cracks at it that didn't connect, then told papa it was his turn, and the first one hit the ground. I was somewhat wary of how he would handle the dead ones once he saw them up close, but that quickly faded as I grabbed it then he came over to poke at and inspect it.

Made our way up the gas line another 20yds or so and Elsa was off to the races again. Few minutes later we heard the familiar bark and made our way to her location. It was yet another grey and this guy was tucked in tight in another tree ****. It once again took a few minutes for Colton to get eyes on it, but once he did he was eager to take another try at shooting it. First shot was a clean miss, while the second hit right below the target and sent it racing toward the upper limbs, when papa was once again instructed it was his turn and another one hit the ground. Colton ran over and grabbed it excited to have another one in the game bag. Not long after though he turned to me and said he was cold and ready to go home. Before we could even head back in the direction from which we came, Elsa had another one treed a ways off. My father and Colton headed back toward the house as I went to retrieve the dog and one more squirrel for the bag.

Was only about a 45min hunt, but its the best one I've been on in a lone time. Was fun to include Colton in the thanksgiving tradition, and hopefully he will continue to explore the outdoors with papa and myself. He had a lot of fun and now has two squirrel tail trophies that he is eager to show his friends back home (he wanted to take the whole squirrels in a box, but we settled on the tails). Will have to put some practice into shooting the little crikett .22 in his future visits though.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/23 21:26:04 (permalink)
    šŸ»

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837ā€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: More Squirrel Tales 2017/11/26 09:04:24 (permalink)
    Nice  story Crappie Slayer. Enjoyed the details and pics. Brought back ancient memories. One word of advice,maybe let the youngster use a 20 gauge or 410. Definitely will boost his confidence. I shouldn't tell but before mentor hunting,my grandpap steadied the mid barrel on his side by side and let me line-up on Fox squirrel or two when I was about his age. That was it for me,I was hooked for life hunting and fishing. I still can remember reeling in suckers on a sunny March day with his old Shakespeare bait casting rods and dragging a fish sack full back to his panel truck.lol I hope your nephew carries on with a family tradition and remembers his first hunt forever.
    Jump to: