hunter alert

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2017/10/12 15:21:01 (permalink)

hunter alert

For hunters that do not do their own butchering,especially during this warm weather. Call your butcher now before you need it, to find out if they are still doing it.My son found out the hard way by trying 5 different guys that we have used for years that are not doing it this year. They will still make specialty items if you bring the meat only. I knew it was only a matter of time before the disease scare would scare some of these guys. I don't know about the rest of the state but here in westm'd  cnty you should call ahead IMO.   sam
post edited by mr.crappie - 2017/10/12 16:18:31

6 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/13 14:59:58 (permalink)
    Is Billy's still doing it Sam?

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/14 02:27:19 (permalink)
    gills, Yes they are,but they are the most expensive place that I know,but they do have very tasty products. Most places around here charge $90 to cut & wrap. I was told at Millers to-day that they had to charge more this year because now they have to pay to get rid of the scraps & before they were hauled away free. They did not start processing yet because the owner is very ill.While I was there I bought some beef sticks that were just made,very good I thought. That is the place on Arona rd. BTW while I was coming back from fishing Keystone state park ,I pulled over to help a hunter load a nice doe in his truck.Only guy that I saw hunting this even. it was pretty windy.  sam
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/15 07:59:07 (permalink)
    Gud advice...the guy in Albion had a fire this week and is shut down for a few weeks I hear.WCW
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/15 21:09:22 (permalink)
    If you find yourself having to wait a day or 2 for the butcher, hang your deer up by his back legs and put a big bag of ice in the chest cavity. We also fill a cooler full of ice and put it right under the nose and let the blood drip in there. Than we take a tarp and completely wrap it around the deer and the cooler. Keep the ice fresh and you can hang a deer like this for days.

BH
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/16 15:56:38 (permalink)

mr.crappie
    gills, Yes they are,but they are the most expensive place that I know,but they do have very tasty products. Most places around here charge $90 to cut & wrap. I was told at Millers to-day that they had to charge more this year because now they have to pay to get rid of the scraps & before they were hauled away free. They did not start processing yet because the owner is very ill.While I was there I bought some beef sticks that were just made,very good I thought. That is the place on Arona rd. BTW while I was coming back from fishing Keystone state park ,I pulled over to help a hunter load a nice doe in his truck.Only guy that I saw hunting this even. it was pretty windy.  sam

Thanks for the update Sam.  I tried to call Billy's a couple times but never had anyone answer.  I pass Miller's all the time.  Do they do decent work and are they clean?  Looks a little sketchy to me from the outside.  
    I do like Bill's deer sticks.  yum yum....

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: hunter alert 2017/10/16 16:08:23 (permalink)
    Eyes, I couldn't say,I never went there, but friends have & they didn,t say anything bad. I am sure different people have different thoughts. I used to take mine to S&S before my son started to do ours. BTW my friend & another guy both got bucks on the same property Sat., & they cut their own.  sam
    post edited by mr.crappie - 2017/10/16 16:10:10
    Jump to: