Helpful ReplyWhat do you think about Pymy now ?

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/21 20:45:49 (permalink)

What do you think about Pymy now ?

I have to start a thread about the hundreds of dead Carp on Pymatuning infected with a killing virus. Would you still eat any fish from Pymy knowing this virus has a killing factor on Carp ? They say it doesn't affect humans so I'd like to cook one of those half dead Carp up and see who will take the first bite ! Just want to hear the yes or no's of all you fishermen or concerns .

I personally would practice catch and release on all fish for awhile. 
I don't trust any reports saying "only Carp" are affected. 
What you guys think ?
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/21 21:00:33 (permalink)
I'm kinda with you Caption as for eating fish , have stayed away from Pymatuning with all this going on... to your question will I eat any fish from there ...NOPE!!! Been hitting Wilhelm lately keeping freezer stocked pretty good with Crappie ... got a few Tuesday evening ...
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/09/21 21:13:37

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

STEVE.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/21 21:04:35 (permalink)
It's amazing that the Commission has posted nothing. I'm sure Pymie could stand to lose a few thousand carp, but how do they know that only carp are affected? In the other thread, one guy said he found a dead walleye in with the dead carp. A fluke? May be, maybe not. I'd sure hate to see a virus that could affect all of the fish population in such a big lake.
I can't even fish Pymie 'til I get a smaller motor, but I wouldn't want to even be on the lake with the stench of rotting fish, and I sure as hell don't want to eat any of 'em.

Maybe we need to do a survey here on the forum; get a long list of folks to sign up and petition the PFBC for some answers. This sounds really bad to me.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/21 21:13:09 (permalink)
Capt I put information regarding this Koi virus on the Pymie thread. Hope it's OK with you if I post it here.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=VM113

Thankfully this deadly disease is specific to carp and doesn't spread to other species.

However, it certainly is reason for anglers to be aware of any fish we keep, as those fish are subject to "other viruses" which produce the same symptoms and results.

I should also like to mention, while the virus and bacteria count will likely increase before it gets better, there exist water borne bacterias far more dangerous to us as humans.

For instance the bacteria responsible for necrotizing fasciitis. Flesh eating bacteria.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/09/21 21:34:40

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 00:11:52 (permalink)
I'll still eat em! Do you think the tuna or cod you get served at restaurants is any better?
olds-Pa
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 08:03:15 (permalink)
I won't be eating any fish from there soon. Maybe next year if this settles down, and after a cold winter. Besides,I didn't catch walleye one this year out of the lake, so no worries here. Maybe the eyes were telling us there was a problem looming.The catfish and crawdads are no doubt in hog heaven. As previously mentioned, if this is a test to see if this virus kills carp, and it works on the invasive grass carp, and no other fish, they have their solution to that problem. Probably put a dent in the commercial rough fishermans pocket though. 
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 09:08:00 (permalink)
I'd be more worried about bacteria from all of the rotting fish.  Highly unlikely that a carp virus can affect humans, although I guess viruses do mutate (swine flu, bird flu).  The terrible fishing is enough to keep me away, this just tops it off.

roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 10:10:02 (permalink)
I am interested in seeing what happens to the Pymatuning ecosystem without the carp. I believe that carp eat a lot of fish eggs and insect larva. Not positive of that but I figure that's what they are rooting in the mud for all the time.

Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
Will the number mosquitoes rise?
Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 

I guess we all stay tuned to find out. :)
P.S. I've done a few searches for answers to the questions I asked above, because Koi Herpes has hit other lakes, but I haven't found any info yet.

-Roy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 10:18:46 (permalink)
Olds ya forgot the turtles, how could you forget the leatherbacks? They'll be feeding onnnnnn...... 😧ewww I'm not eating anymore turtle soup, stupid carp! 😠

But on another note, should we count the dead carp we see, using the PGC/PFBC mathematical equations? For every actual dead fish we see there must be 'ump-teen' more?

Multipliers:

Walleye X 10
LMB x 15
SMB X 12
Trout X 1000½

White Tail Deer X (flip of the coin)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

roygpa
Avid Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 10:40:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2017/09/23 09:09:20
We've seen and cleaned up hundreds of carp.

Saw one dead LMB last Saturday, but on Sunday it was gone. Guessing an eagle thought it would taste better than a carp.

Once the carp float to shore they morph into a skin covered bag of stinky goo. No meat left, just goo. You have to be very careful not to drop one, because it goes splat! and the goo goes everywhere... Just ask my wife, she got hit with a goo carp splat two weeks. and no, I didn't laugh when it happened, I knew better. she's not sick from it, not yet anyway.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 11:29:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/09/25 08:56:52
Roy I don't know if I should 😂 or 😭. Carp goo splat!!!

Regarding a lake without Carp. There is studies regarding Grass Carp and they're affect in ponds and lakes. Proponents claim Carp help control weeds and algae while opponents claim Carp control only certain vegetation and actually promote algae.

Olds-pa the situation at Pymie a test? Being a optimistic pessimist at heart, I like the thought but I doubt this was a induced experiment of the PFBC kind. But I betcha it's been pondered in controlling those flying rascals the states are hoping to keep out of the big lake.

However I'm not so certain the PGC wouldn't try this tactic, in controlling deer numbers.

Well this being Friday and the day of The Fish Fry I'm off to get me a dinner of deep fried goo splat!!🍻

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 13:33:01 (permalink)
The virus could be a solution to the Asian carp problem in the Mississippi 😈😈😈
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 13:38:22 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
The virus could be a solution to the Asian carp problem in the Mississippi 😈😈😈

wonder if it would affect them the same way......

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 14:20:13 (permalink)
This is most likely caused by the tourism with the carp at the spillway. This lake is WAY over carrying capacity for carp. Mother nature has a way to thin the herd. Disease is one of them.
Ugly Stik
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 15:13:09 (permalink)
I've often wondered why carp weren't commercially farmed from the lake. I'd bet the lake will recover without ill effects. Look at the thousands of salmon that die during the runs. Vultures have to eat too.

ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1257
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 15:45:39 (permalink)
Its not so much the fact you may get sick from eating the fish its the fact that the stench and stink along the banks and at the launch ramps id flat out terrible. Wife and I went to Wilhelm this am and had a graet day actually catching fish no stink no smell and actually a lot of bites the crappie were hungry and we got some nice slabs. sure beats the last 15 times ive fished pymatuning the water looks and smells lousy along the banks.ive also think the carp situation has hurt the local business like a ghost town up here very few boats on lake.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/22 16:22:31 (permalink)
How about a few pics of that mess ?

Where they tossing all the dead ones ?

Is this dead fish cleanup being setup with the State Park people , or Pa. and Ohio Fish Commissions or is this all volunteers ?  

Nice catch Ice !
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2017/09/23 09:15:17
Timachro
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1339
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/29 07:22:03 (permalink)
The Russians did it!

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/09/30 00:17:09 (permalink)
roygpa
I am interested in seeing what happens to the Pymatuning ecosystem without the carp. I believe that carp eat a lot of fish eggs and insect larva. Not positive of that but I figure that's what they are rooting in the mud for all the time.

Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
Will the number mosquitoes rise?
Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 

I guess we all stay tuned to find out. :)
P.S. I've done a few searches for answers to the questions I asked above, because Koi Herpes has hit other lakes, but I haven't found any info yet.

-Roy

good info

I have become comfortably numb
roygpa
Avid Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/10/02 08:53:37 (permalink)
Seems like the numbers of dead carp is dwindling. Saw about 2 or 3 new ones in our dock area, VS 10 to 15 in the past 3 weeks.  Took my boat out at the Espyville Launch and saw 2 that were still alive but obviously dying. The stench wasn't as bad as it was the past three week, but still pretty stinky.
Stupid Herpes. (To borrow a BTDT phrase)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/10/02 09:28:15 (permalink)
Ha haa thanks for the report Roy and as far as borrowing goes, YOU may feel free to use anything from "stupid to doorknobs". Hell, I'd even let you borrow the Fish Hawk.

roygpa
Avid Angler
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/10/03 13:44:38 (permalink)
Another question to add to my list (may have already been asked):

6. How long with it take for the virus to move down stream and kill the carp in Shenango Reservoir, the Beaver, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers or will the cold temps make the virus go dormant until next year when the water warms up?

1.Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
2. Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
3. Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
4. Will the number mosquitoes rise?
5. Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/10/04 08:16:34 (permalink)
I think less carp is a good thing
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: What do you think about Pymy now ? 2017/10/04 09:14:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/10/04 10:37:15
roygpa
Another question to add to my list (may have already been asked):

6. How long with it take for the virus to move down stream and kill the carp in Shenango Reservoir, the Beaver, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers or will the cold temps make the virus go dormant until next year when the water warms up?

1.Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
2. Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
3. Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
4. Will the number mosquitoes rise?
5. Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 

Roy, I did a little reading on the virus a few weeks ago just cause I was interested.  Seems that water temps between 60-75 is when the virus spreads the most.  If I recall correctly, it said water temps above 82-ish actually kill the virus, but lower temps do not kill it but slow the spread. 

The article also seemed to imply that once the virus is in a population of fish that it's always there unless it's killed at those higher temps. 

I would imagine that a decline in the carp population of any body of water, especially one as dense as Pymy, would be of benefit to other species.   
Jump to: