Author
Outdoor Conviction
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2017/06/06 10:44:14 (permalink)

Advice on where to Fish and stay??

Hello all,

Me n my old man are heading up for the 4th and neither one of us has ever fished Ontario. My dad keeps talking about catching 20lb salmon before he hits the dirt so I figured why the hell not.  We've been trolling Erie for years so we know the trolling/fishing setup part as far as what to use but the question is where to go?? Drive the extra hours to Eastern part of the lake or is the Western part just as good during the beginning of July? How many FOW? Basically we are fishing blind right now. I was planning on doing the old "follow the charter" trick lol but I don't know which ramp/launch to go to, etc. Any info here would really help. Thanks in advanced guys

2 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Advice on where to Fish and stay?? 2017/06/07 10:18:38 (permalink)
    Try this site.  https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/

According to the NYSDEC report, fish were pretty well distributed around the lake last July.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lou2016hilights.pdf

Upstate Fish Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Advice on where to Fish and stay?? 2017/09/10 11:46:32 (permalink)
    Oak Orchard, there is no better river for salmon and trout fishing from shore. If you want Lake Ontario access for a boat, also Oak Orchard at Point Breeze, Kent NY.

The trout are starting, saw a few taken from the piers last night. The salmon are coming, give it a week, maybe two. One guy hooked into one last night, but it got away. Pre-dawn and just after sunset seem to be the best times for shore fishing.

You can try up at the Oak Orchard dam below Lake Alice, that's where all the out-of-towners (Pennsyltuckians) go at the height of the season. Locals go there to watch the shoulder to shoulder "combat" fishing. It is very entertaining to watch people fight over fish and to watch them claim they were not snagging, snatching, or whatever you want to call the term for illegally taking fish.
    Jump to: