Middle Allegheny

Author
KJN
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points: 0
2017/06/06 09:54:38 (permalink)

Middle Allegheny

Does anyone know of maps / video of navigating the Allegheny river, from Parker to Kennerdale?  or anywhere in between?  I'm in the market for a jet boat and would like to get this info if available.

5 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Middle Allegheny 2017/06/06 10:24:43 (permalink)
    Don't know if Jeff is still guiding but for a good read...... 1st link.

Maps..... second link may be of help but I'd recommend using a 'puter to review it. Maps are small on a phone.

http://www.post-gazette.c...r/stories/200808030196

https://www.fish.state.pa...ils/alleg/trailmap.htm

If this will be your first jet boat, I'd highly recommend speaking with current owners (NOT dealers) regarding jet boat operation. Hell of a investment to be crashing on river rocks.

Good luck.... River people are cool.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/06 10:29:17

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

KJN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: Middle Allegheny 2017/06/07 10:34:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.  I actually went to a seminar of Jeff's over the winter.   This will be my first jet and I am a little nervous about it.  I thought about contacting him to see if I could pay him for a guided tour of the river.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Middle Allegheny 2017/06/07 19:05:32 (permalink)
    Take a kayak out first you can learn the river yourself. Or go slow on your first travels. Stay in the middle for the most parts. Rapids is what you have to learn how to read that's the most shallow parts. Best way to see the river is at the shallowest point in the summer. Good luck and be safe.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Middle Allegheny 2017/06/07 22:48:02 (permalink)
    KJN you are most certainly welcome.

Solitario has a good suggestion if you can try the area in a yak or canoe.

Just remember your boat requires a couple feet of water on initial take off. Jets squat terrible and take longer to get on plane. Practice your take offs in deep pools to learn your rig. Beaching your boat to learn the shallows before navigating through them is recommended.

Most of all when in the shallows, keep the boat on top of the water.

I don't know Jeff but I would think he would answer questions and lend some pointers on reading the water.

It's been 15+ years since I strutted my stuff on the Allegheny at Franklin. Conversations like this bring back some great memories and with those memories I still "pucker" thinking of my first jet rides. lol

Good luck, be safe and, enjoy your new world. River people are cool.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re: Middle Allegheny 2017/06/15 05:16:54 (permalink)
    There is only one way to learn how to navigate the river, spending time on the water and learning how to read it. I'd suggest going out with an experienced jet boater and getting a feel for how it's done. The river changes from year to year, sometimes month to month. There is no map that'll show you where to run from just above East Brady all the way to Kunzua outflow. It's all about reading the water.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jump to: