Cracked dog nail??

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/21 19:18:08 (permalink)

Cracked dog nail??

Well, after just getting started for me it looks like pheasant hunting will be on hiatus for a while. Noticed yesterday whenever I went to wipe Nina's one rear paw off when coming into the house that she would whine some. Didn't seem to bother her otherwise. Thought maybe she had a thorn stuck in it somewhere, but couldn't find anything. Finally noticed in the evening that one nail is cracked vertically back toward the fur. The nail is still firmly attached, so I cleaned out well, pushed it back into place, and super glued it for the moment. Taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Any of you dog owners have experience with this? From the little I've looked around on the interwebs, looks like it might possibly have to be removed. Hate to sound cheap, but sounds like a somewhat expensive procedure. Isn't bothering her, and wondered if I kept it clean and glued if it would just grow out and be ok? Regardless, I'll be taking her to see the vet tomorrow, just like going in armed with some info.

14 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/21 19:52:44 (permalink)
    Is it into the quick and bleeding or just a shallow crack and stops before the quick?
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/21 20:35:37 (permalink)
    No bleeding, but looks to be close to the quick. Nail was bent 20 degrees or so.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/21 22:16:41 (permalink)
    Crappie I tried looking also on the internet but found very little.

Short of taking your pup to a vet and having the nail removed it seems what you are doing is recommended by dog owners.

I did see one suggestion where nail hardener was used by applying several applications. Then bandage the Pawl by placing a sock or two highly up on the dogs leg securing by wrapping the sock(s) with wraps of painters or masking tape. Do not apply the tape to the leg itself but wrapping (many) wraps from just above the Pawl toward the upper leg. Forming a cast of tape.

Otherwise nail removal by a Vet will be needed which will allow the nail to grow back out.

Then the vet will create a cast from masking tape and gauze.

Make sure the area is clean using a mild disenfectant which can be something used for a child or even a solution of salt water.

I use "Blue Kote" which can be purchased at most Agway or Tractor Supply stores.

Blute Kote does what it says so becareful where you use the stuff.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/11/21 22:19:04

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/21 22:47:59 (permalink)
    If it's not in the quick I'd just super glue it or trim the split nail,i don't think the vet will remove the nail. Just my thoughts of course, some vets it all about the money so be prepared to pay dearly.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 08:37:26 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    If it's not in the quick I'd just super glue it or trim the split nail,i don't think the vet will remove the nail. Just my thoughts of course, some vets it all about the money so be prepared to pay dearly.

THIS^^^ seems to be true about my vet so far, which is why I wanted some opinions from other dog owners. I too think it will work to keep gluing it until it grows out. No option to trim the broken part off right now as I would have to cut through the quick. Mostly going to the vet to try and get a round of antibiotics. I cleaned it out well, but she was running through alot of standing water this weekend and dont want to see it get infected.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 09:13:31 (permalink)
    In my experience, it depends. I know that is a lousy answer, but it is what it is. A lot depends on the dog.

One of my dogs was so tough that he ruptured a MCL and hunted the rest of the day without letting on he was hurt. Split nails never bothered him and I did just what is recommended above, keep it clean, use nail hardener, and cost with that miracle dog treatment -- EMT gel.

I have had dogs that split nails were akin to a broken leg, at least to them. These more wussy dogs needed to have their nail removed and take a few weeks off.

When deciding what is best for your dog, nothing is more important than considering the dog.

If you feel that your vet is just in it for the money, find another vet.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 10:28:38 (permalink)
    Crappie.  I don't know what vet you use in our area(I've tried them all, Cambro, CL Vet Clinic, the one on Airport road, the one in Meadville by CF that was shut down), but for my money, the best is Albion Vet Clinic.  No BS, they tell you your options(if there are any) with treatment amounts and they treat your best friend like family.  They treat your wallet like they understand.  I would let them treat me if they would..lol!  And, and interesting side note is that one of the vets is from CL.  If you want to PM me, I will give you my name and I think you get a discount for the referral(I don't get anything but a thank you card in the mail, if you are wondering..lol)  Scott Barzack at Woodcock is very good(he is a product of Albion Vet Clinic) but I don't know his prices.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 10:49:58 (permalink)
    SWR...pm sent
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 10:59:50 (permalink)
    Dardys, where can I pick up some nail hardener?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 12:14:52 (permalink)
    In the nail polish aisle. It is basically clear nail polish.

I'm very fortunate that my vet is a hunter. He understands hunters, hunting dogs, and what can happen out there.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 12:23:18 (permalink)
    Thanks
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 19:15:02 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. Took her to the vet this afternoon. Said to just do what I was doing, keep it clean and sealed up. Did get the antibiotics for a couple of days.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/22 23:38:30 (permalink)
    Glad to hear all is well.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Cracked dog nail?? 2016/11/23 05:30:51 (permalink)
    Glad she ok, I pretty much thought it would go that way. Being a gun dog owner for over 50 years beagles,setters,and brits. It's good to know some home school vet work. I've given my dogs shots,wormed them, eye care,ear care,trimming nails,anal gland relief,and a bunch of other stuff. I once even stitched up a  severely cut pad till I could get to a vet. He complemented me on my work.lol Believe me if a dog needs a vet I'll take it and probably spent a few thousand though the years but I'll try to fix the problem first. I learned a lot about home care from old timers at the beagle clubs. You can buy any shot there is,and meds needed today. Only thing is the rabies shot,you need a certificate. I'll hit a clinic for $ 10 every 3 years.I'll give my dog a shot myself the in between years it might be over kill but I've always done it. Good luck  with your pups. She should be ready to roll soon,hopefully you call get her into some birds.
    Jump to: