Early inline muzzleloader season

Author
BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/23 06:22:07 (permalink)

Early inline muzzleloader season

And So the early muzzleloader season has came and gone. What are the results ?  I managed to take a nice doe on the last day.  With this doe has made me successful in every early season I Participated in.  And One other thing, While inspecting the down doe for ticks seen something seeming to be very early in the season for. She was covered in semen around the (*****) LOL Hmmmmmmmm  what ya think

23 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/23 08:06:03 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of shooting does in any season. I guess the early bow season would be my choice to harvest a doe. I've killed so many does it crazy but about about 10 years ago really starting laying off does. If your woods is thick with deer I see no problem taking a doe. Killing 4 mature bucks 's in two states( my son and I) provides more than enough meat for my family. That big mature doe you killed Saturday might have brought you a nice e mature buck. That's where my head is on doe hunting. I'm not against doe hunting but it just doesn't do that much for me. It's almost show time and any doe in heat could bring in that buck of a lifetime. Congrats on your doe. 
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/10/23 08:07:48
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/23 09:44:49 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD_1
    And So the early muzzleloader season has came and gone. What are the results ?  I managed to take a nice doe on the last day.  With this doe has made me successful in every early season I Participated in.  And One other thing, While inspecting the down doe for ticks seen something seeming to be very early in the season for. She was covered in semen around the (*****) LOL Hmmmmmmmm  what ya think 

Was the muzzle loader a "flintlock" using "iron sights" and that seminal fluid part of the story; I would think you want to keep to yourself. Just a little more than we need to know, is what I think.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/23 09:49:25

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/24 04:10:13 (permalink)
    BT there are way to many Doe at this farm, So yeah taking a doe is in order.  Doe's are what I have been filling my freezer with for as long as i can remember. BTDT it was a inline and yes there was a BUCK with her a little 5 point that looked to be 3 or 3 1/2 years old and doubt highly he will get any bigger of a rack !!!!!!  I will only take a four year old or better.  And before you guy's ask I've hunt for over FORTY years and taken well over 50 deer, YES I can tell the difference between mature and FREAKING BAMBI   How much Meat do you guys have in the freezer????????  Yeah that's what I thought LOL
    post edited by BIGHEAD_1 - 2016/10/24 04:12:31
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/24 21:10:45 (permalink)
    I say, " smashem " !!! My Senior uncle took the biggest button buck i've ever seen last day of Junior/senior hunt. How's that work? Don't shoot em and let him grow up to be a big buck, and take a mature breeder doe? Either way, that's gonna be some tasty azz grillin right there.

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/24 22:35:38 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD_1
    BT there are way to many Doe at this farm, So yeah taking a doe is in order.  Doe's are what I have been filling my freezer with for as long as i can remember. BTDT it was a inline and yes there was a BUCK with her a little 5 point that looked to be 3 or 3 1/2 years old and doubt highly he will get any bigger of a rack !!!!!!  I will only take a four year old or better.  And before you guy's ask I've hunt for over FORTY years and taken well over 50 deer, YES I can tell the difference between mature and FREAKING BAMBI   How much Meat do you guys have in the freezer????????  Yeah that's what I thought LOL

Just not a "BROWN AND DOWN" type of guy. I don't need the "thrill of the kill" so I can brag about "how much meat" I have in the freezer. Hell son, I don't even need a muzzle loader fired with a cap capable of shooting 150 yds when I can brag about "mowing em down" using a Weatherby 300 mag at 300 yds in early "kill for the thrill" gun season.

Enjoy your venison and your kill.

I don't often kill a deer but when I do, I prefer to enjoy the hunt.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 05:34:28 (permalink)
    Yeah ok BTDT  The MAIN reason I hunt is to fill the freezer with venison. If you think I was bragging NOT QUITE D/B just pointing out that i was lucky once again.  I put in more hours hunt than most of you guy's  EVERY freaking year ! If I hunted like It's Brown and Down you could fill a freaking barn.  You know this site is still full of people just want to be FREAKING D^^kH^^ds  of coarse not in person tho HUH

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 07:58:47 (permalink)
    BigHead, 
    Take a deep breath and let it go.  I didn't see what was posted above before you and BTDT edited your earlier posts but if this continues I'll delete the entire post.

Congrats on the kill. I used to partake in early season with a group of friends. It was great fun but I just carry my bow now. I got tired of seeing bucks within bow range when I had the smokepole in my hands. As far as the early breeding I don't doubt it one bit,bucks were chasing hard where I was on Sat. morning

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 08:39:15 (permalink)
    Little 5 pts was more than likely a 1.5 year old deer. Key word being little. A 3.5 year old 5 pts unlikely,but if there is one his body size would be large. I'm by far a deer biologists but my son and I have harvested some large body deer 175 -200lbs field dressed over the past 10 years( bucks) I'd be guessing but from everything there is on aging deer most appear to be 3.5 without cutting the tooth its almost impossible. I do know we weight our deer and a large adult doe will be 95-125 lbs. I'm not bragging but I've shot plenty in 52 years of hunting in  4 states. Maybe that why I'm not big on killing them now. They do fill the freezer if that's what your after and that was me years ago,now I hunt differently. I still have about 30 lbs of burger and a couple pieces of backstrap from last year.We all hunt for different reasons and I see no reason to fight as between other hunters. I congratulated you on your doe,what more do you want.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 08:40:33 (permalink)
    Mike my apologies as I was just responding to how the picture was being painted. Just something about the tone and shade of paint that isn't pleasing to the eye.

Sorry.... 🎃

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 09:00:07 (permalink)
    Tuna I'm no Biologist either but I sure have talked with enough of them over the years and I've yet to find one that will deny, mineral intake plays a big part in antler production.

At least a believable answer to why two buck of the same age have different racks or why a much younger deer has a healthier set of antlers than a buck that is older and why two "eight point" racks are so different.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/25 09:06:34 (permalink)
    BH congratulations to your Uncle it is nice to hear seniors benefiting from the early season.

I wish the PGC would include Seniors with the youth antler restrictions. Seems a shame the older hunters, who have supported the sport for so many years and now unable to hunt as in the past, having to let a buck go by.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/25 09:21:29

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/27 16:22:49 (permalink)
    I seen a raghorn once hunting tried mounting a doe( unsuccessful) biggest deer iv seen on the hoof he was huge deep grunts growls snapshot the thicket combined antler in probably around 12" lol he must be really old and run down or just never grew? Idk but it's possible definitely 250+ on the hoof

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/27 21:33:07 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    BH congratulations to your Uncle it is nice to hear seniors benefiting from the early season.

I wish the PGC would include Seniors with the youth antler restrictions. Seems a shame the older hunters, who have supported the sport for so many years and now unable to hunt as in the past, having to let a buck go by.

There's more to the story. This might open a whole different can of worms. My uncle ( 75 yrs. old ) hunts with a 222. 50 grain bullet. Been his deer smashin gun of choice for the last 35 yrs. Has never not gotten his deer when he shoots one. The biggest being a real mature 10 point back in 2004.

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/27 21:50:31 (permalink)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the story BH sounds like your uncle knows right where to hit em.

Just like a good archer bringing home a deer using a stick.

BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/28 04:48:54 (permalink)
    This thread was for the hunters using INLINE muzzleloader !!!
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/28 06:55:43 (permalink)
    Inline muzzleloaders are basically center-fire without the brass. Flinklock is the only way to go. Click, fizz or boom it's all good!
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/28 08:00:13 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD_1
    This thread was for the hunters using INLINE muzzleloader !!!

My bad, The 2 seasons overlapped. I took 2 seniors and 1 junior and my Inline Muzzleloader. I played dog, and kicked out 9 that I know of, probably several more that I didnt know of. Was an awesome fun hunt. Got a chance to teach my Junior second cousin how to properly still hunt for a few hours. Which is, IMO, what it's all about.

BH
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/29 04:35:22 (permalink)
    W J  Yeah I have a flint to. But can only use the inline in the early season. BH Yes is it spending time wiyh family, friends and the GREAT OUTDOORS.  I almost felt quilty use the inline, But hey put one in the freezer.  It took most of the week to find the right one tho. Mature and with no kids in sight is quite the task
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/10/30 16:52:39 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD_1
    Mature and with no kids in sight is quite the task

Just curious Bighead and no ulterior motive here in asking ...

Is it just personal preference to take a doe with no fawns around, or is there a biological reason?

I've often heard by hunting season that the fawns will be just fine if mama gets taken but I've always tried to take does that are alone as well.
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/11/01 05:06:28 (permalink)
    R, only shooting mature doe's mean more meat. A doe's with kids around is just because can't take the kids running up to their downed mom. believe or not I do have a heart Well somewhere LOL.  Chances are they are done reproducing as well. 
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/11/01 12:04:05 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD, True story.  About 10 years ago in the field next to my house a big doe stepped out during early muzzle.  Dropped her on the spot.  Her twins stepped out of the woods and were never more than 50 yards from me as I gutted and dragged their mom to my truck in the driveway.  You know, those 2 hung around the woods along the back side of my yard for 2 or 3 days.  Since then, always happy when offspring not involved.  
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/11/02 06:03:24 (permalink)
    Yeah been there pike,   Bites!! 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Early inline muzzleloader season 2016/11/06 16:43:45 (permalink)
    pikepredator2
    BIGHEAD, True story.  About 10 years ago in the field next to my house a big doe stepped out during early muzzle.  Dropped her on the spot.  Her twins stepped out of the woods and were never more than 50 yards from me as I gutted and dragged their mom to my truck in the driveway.  You know, those 2 hung around the woods along the back side of my yard for 2 or 3 days.  Since then, always happy when offspring not involved.  

That kind of funny. Guy I work with told me a similar story. He shot one in rifle season right behind his house and the fawn hung around as he gutted it. He said the fawn hung around most of the winter and ate all of the shrubs he had behind the house. Figured it was paying him back.
    Jump to: