Piney Reservoir Clarion

Author
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
  • Reward points: 0
2016/09/18 14:55:36 (permalink)

Piney Reservoir Clarion

Fished Piney on Friday for 10 hours. First visit. (Stupid fish)!! Wow! Judging by all the camps and homes docks or dock anchors, the Clarion is down at least 5 feet. It's so low that two enterprising owners literally mowed the underwater weed beds on their frontage makin' it look like a golf course. We pulled harness', a short time with bait rigs, but the majority of the time spent jigging. 3 channel cats, 3 walleyes, (barely legal but very fat), 1 little 5" perch caught on the stinger behind a harness, and one little small mouth. Beautiful lake, though. Crooked as a dog's hind leg and infested with tackle stealing snags, but I plan to hit it once more this fall.
BTW, almost every fallen underwater log has some type of big growths on them. I call them globules. Does anybody know what they are? I checked through hundreds of pics on Wikipedia, but didn't see anything that matched.
EMitch

6 Replies Related Threads

SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/18 16:07:26 (permalink)
    Just guessing, bryozoan.  I've seen lots of these in PA waters.
    Here's a link.

http://askanaturalist.com...ke-blob-under-my-dock/
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/18 20:17:28 (permalink)
    E-Mitch I took my first boat ride on the waters of Piney Reservoir back in 1955 and remember like it was yesterday, seeing my dad water ski behind the boat and the big family cook-out on her banks.  I recall boarding the boat, owned by family friends, at a dock which was located on a dirt lane to the right at the Clarion end of the rt 322 bridge.  I believe then, as does now, the lane led to cottages along the banks on the lake but access to that lane is a bit different today.  I've returned on several occasions, this time launching my own boat at the two public launch sights and I have to say it was a bit of an experience.

If you have not already been there, you should return in the fall when the leaves are in full color....  absolutely beautiful.

As for the water depth, that is because of construction/repair to the gates of the dam.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/09/18 20:18:34

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/19 06:44:50 (permalink)
    SaltWaterRocks, thanks for the link. That looks like what we saw.

BTDT, that was my first trip there fishing, 'though the boys were there on Labor Day. (Said it was a zoo, what with pleasure boaters, water skiers, tubers, and jet skis). But Friday, we never saw another boat 'til almost lunchtime. We decided to stay at camp and fish Tionesta on Saturday, and we drove over there and checked out the lake from atop the mountain in the parking area, whereupon it came a downpour, so then we thought we might go back to Piney, but the rain didn't let up, so we started south for home. Sure enough, when we went over Piney on I-80, the sun was shinin' nicely. So, we came home and fished the Allegheny at Freeport for 5 hours and caught nothing! Stupid fish!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/19 09:04:15 (permalink)
    Piney is a favorite with the "old shirtless hairy guys" strutting around in big boats running and gunning their big motors pulling screaming kids on a rubber replica of a rubber ducky but, that does keep them off of, Shenango River Lake.  

Summer fun time, not a good time to find a parking spot for vehicle and trailer either.  Tobys' launch on Fireman's Rd off of N. 5th Ave. in Clarion has limited parking and one dock but the road is in good shape to an from Clarion.  Mill Creek Launch out of Strattonville has one dock with a bit more parking but the trip down the mountain on Mill Creek Dr. (unless improved) might leave you with a trip down memory lane.

I've been on all of my area lakes but when the leaves are in full color, I've not found any quite as beautiful as being in the valley on the water of Piney Reservoir, it really is a time when one can forget about the stupid fish. 

A second plus with fishing Piney in the fall, less worry of getting run over with a rubber ducky.

Just this past Thursday, the wife and I passed over Piney on I-80 as we returned from a trip to Shanksville.  We both looked to take in what we could see which turned our conversation about the last time we fished between the hills.

Maybe see you there this fall.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/19 10:48:24 (permalink)
    OK BT you know why I can't travel to those places anymore so I'll do the next best thing and call you out! I expect pictures posted to prove your opinion!
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Piney Reservoir Clarion 2016/09/19 19:15:06 (permalink)
    Ok, BTDT. If I'm there with my boys, look for a blue Lund with a 90 and a 9.9 Merc on the back. If I'm there by myself, I'll be in a blue and gray Sylvan Backtroller with a Classic 50 Merc tiller on it. I'll look for ya.
    I've got a week of vacation scheduled for the 3rd week in October, so the plan is to hit Piney and Shenango in that week, plus a little action on the Allegheny around the house here.
    post edited by EMitch - 2016/09/19 19:17:58

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Jump to: