Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use?

Author
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
  • Reward points: 0
2016/05/14 10:53:04 (permalink)

Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use?

Need some suggestions/help please. I have never fished off shore per se for anything at Pymatuning. All my panfish experience there is basically in the shallows or around shoreline cover. That bite is slowly fading right now. I'd like to take my 10 year old fishing and I often see reports of anglers catching walleye and crappie while "drift" fishing. 

Can anyone kindly suggest a bait/rig/technique to use? I thought about simple lead lead jigs and grub tails tipped with either crawlers or fatheads? Also considered a slip sinker, swivel, leader, and floating jig tipped with a crawler or fathead?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly helpful. Most of my experience there is chasing bass along the shorelines and I actually do quite well on the crappies doing the exact same thing, just downsizing the baits. It requires very accurate casts and pitches, just not a great way to fish with a 10 year old, and I'd like her to have a good time. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff

26 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 11:19:02 (permalink)
    Right now I'd be looking for the shallows. Any humps with weeds on top you'll find fish on the edges. Drifting just a plain jig head and half a crawler or jig and body with fathead. We always remove the tail since more times than not it just gets in the way.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 11:32:10 (permalink)
    Oh my gosh ready2fish, I asked a similar question last year and now I have four new rods, four new line counter reels,, spools of lead core line, two new tackle boxes filled with every kind of proven walleye lures, planer boards and, a old cat litter bucket filled with 8 dozen crawlers; all recommended by walleye anglers of Pymie.

My best advice to you is not take suggestions from me because you already have the old school proven lures and know how to use them, you just need to know where and when to catch them.

Good luck, have a ball fishing with that young man and remember it ain't about the catching, it just makes it funner, if yinz do.

C'mon sum yinz walleye pros, ready needs a "spot burn" or two and honest, I'll plug my ears so I can't hear what you tell him!  Ya could even send him a PM or two.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 12:26:48 (permalink)
    Like outasync said, simple jig head and crawler works great. We usually fish a few different colors until the fish tell us which one they want, then switch the other poles over to the same.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 12:28:40 (permalink)
    Sometimes a whacky rigged half crawler or leach under a float can be deadly too tho especially if you figure out a pattern. Anchor outside and throw them in and watch and wait
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 13:30:53 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Oh my gosh ready2fish, I asked a similar question last year and now I have four new rods, four new line counter reels,, spools of lead core line, two new tackle boxes filled with every kind of proven walleye lures, planer boards and, a old cat litter bucket filled with 8 dozen crawlers; all recommended by walleye anglers of Pymie.

My best advice to you is not take suggestions from me because you already have the old school proven lures and know how to use them, you just need to know where and when to catch them.

Good luck, have a ball fishing with that young man and remember it ain't about the catching, it just makes it funner, if yinz do.

C'mon sum yinz walleye pros, ready needs a "spot burn" or two and honest, I'll plug my ears so I can't hear what you tell him!  Ya could even send him a PM or two.

My young lady is a pretty darn good fisherwoman, just needs her casting skills polished up a little. I also have 2 boats, and enough rods/reels/tackle to open my own shop lol. As I said, I mainly do the bass thing and frankly, I love to chase crappies to eat, and she likes to eat walleye and crappie, so anything we catch in that regard will be awesome. No need for a spot burn, I have plenty of ideas on where to locate some fish, but if someone wants to point me to a place by PM, by all means that would be a classy move. 

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 13:32:21 (permalink)
    Thanks all. Seems I was thinking along the right line. 

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 13:35:34 (permalink)
    Plain Crawler with shot ov air in tail, no jig or harness needed.

crappy
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 13:38:08 (permalink)
    Oops, my bad sorry!  woman I'm sure I meant young woman.......  stupid spel chek   [he said with foot in mouth]
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/05/14 13:40:30

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 14:29:46 (permalink)
    SO MANY OPTIONS!  Seriously, there must be hundreds of variations of rigs from simple to crazy for drift fishing.  And I'm no genius walleye guy, but I think I can add a bit of value for this topic.  

Do yourself a big favor, especially if you don't want to buy rigs.  Learn two knots: DROPPER LOOP and SNELL

I like fluorocarbon leader and I always have some in my tackle kit, so here's the rig I'd tie for a simple drift.  Three foot of leader, tie a surgeon's loop at the bottom.  That's for your sinker (bank, bell).  About a foot above that tie a small dropper loop.  That's to attach your hook, or say a crawler harness (spinner and a couple snelled hooks).  Tie a swivel to the other end and attach to your line.  Drop this straight down until it hits bottom, let out a bit of line and drift away.  

That is a basic rig that can be anything from a 4 loop/hook bottom rig (I tie a bunch of those every time I take a deep sea charter) to a two or three hook crappie rig, a one hook catfish rig, etc.  You can switch it up a bit like this:

Snell a #4 or #2 octopus hook (I love the trokar brand, SO sharp) onto your line, or a leader.  About 18" from the hook tie a dropper loop.  That's for your sinker.  That will stay a bit more on the bottom, and that's the rig (with a bit bigger hook) I use for channel cats.  Nose hooked minnow, shiner, chub for walleye.  Tail hook a small perch or bluegill if you are sitting for cats (as long as you aren't in a lake that has minimum size for panfish!).  

You can go super simple and tie a crawler harness (or whatever) straight to your line and then put 2 or 3 big splitshots a foot or two in front.  I don't favor this method for drifting, but a lot of guys use it.  Or those lead with rubber core sinkers that go inline (don't care for those either).  

Google and YouTube are your friend for knots and rigs.  Tons of examples that will match what you want and show you how to tie it.

Good luck out there!
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/14 18:17:08 (permalink)
    Bottom bouncer and worm harness!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 00:55:10 (permalink)
    I agree with old dog I'd start with floating jig heads first, tipped with crawlers and minnows. Much easier on snagging up less frequent especially with a younger fisherman. Make sure you have enough sinker weight ahead of you jigs so you are tapping bottom not dragging.  Remember the more wind you have you may have to add more weight ,the opposite with less.

I personally like bright colors like chartreus greens , hot oranges , and whites for my choice of floating jigs. They also come in different sizes so you should have a variety since they are not too expensive.  

Plan B is to learn to use slip bobber rigs even for wind drifting. You can control your depth better and put your bait right in the exact zone you want. You can fish a slip bobber 20ft. deep or whatever depth you want. And you know exactly when you have a strike ! We use to murder the Crappie with slip bobbers setups in the old stump area in Linesville . You'll need slip bobbers in different sizes and bobber stops. Watch a few videos on U- Tube they should have some. Who doesn't get a thrill out of a bobber disappearing from the surface and it can be deadly !    
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 01:17:01 (permalink)
    I loves me some bobbers.  I'd rather bobber fish than any other kind of fishing.  That said... slip bobbers are a gigantic PITA.  They NEVER work perfectly without screwing with you.  And they are not super easy to set up right.  

But I agree with the Captain.  Slip bobbers will slay if you get them dialed in and they choose to work for you.  
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 12:41:09 (permalink)
    Anyone can catch fish drifting but if your after quantity you need some gear that will eliminate unproductive water. A good fish finder, trolling motor, and a reliable outboard are musts. Someone can drift for three hours a small footprint of water, while trolling you will have at least three passes in that area. You have to find out "how" fast the fish want the bait. S bends will determine that. Good luck
    post edited by slabfinder - 2016/05/15 12:43:09
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 18:23:04 (permalink)
    Simply fishing floating jig heads, crawlers or fathead and enough split shot to make contact with bottom. When my uncle was alive we only used one bait a ribbon leach on a home made Colorado blade about the size of a quarter. He swear by leaches,we buy or collect our own in a small steam in Ohio. We even brought them to Canada on our twice a year trips. They do produce. I prefer trolling plugs but that just me. Wading Raps,trolling tots or wiggle warts. Good fishing
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 19:43:38 (permalink)
    They still do!  Always hang a June bug spinner with night crawler on #2 hook.  Red/white, yellow/red or black/yellow.  Still produce, too!  CP swing, now there's a blast from the past,  Right up there with a purple rooster tail.

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/15 19:55:59 (permalink)
     Summer time, the ole Erie Derie with meat slow trolled the outer weed edges was a fav. ov mine.

crappy
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/16 08:52:09 (permalink)
    slabfinder
    Anyone can catch fish drifting but if your after quantity you need some gear that will eliminate unproductive water. A good fish finder, trolling motor, and a reliable outboard are musts. Someone can drift for three hours a small footprint of water, while trolling you will have at least three passes in that area. You have to find out "how" fast the fish want the bait. S bends will determine that. Good luck

Anyone...............????      Ummmmmm.......  Guess he don't know me too well; do he?  (lmao)

C P SWINGS............  rule!    Followed by June Bugs, Erie Deeries, etc. etc.

Good read fellers, keep them suggestions comin',  I'm all ears.  Something has gotta work for me, sooner or later.    Uhhh, forget the later part, it's getting late enough for this old guy.  I'm thinkin' of taking up tennis or bicycle racing. 

seanymph
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/16 10:55:56 (permalink)
    has anyone tried bottom bouncers?
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/16 11:09:18 (permalink)
    Never tried drifting bottom bouncers. I troll 1.5 oz for under 20 2 oz for over. If I'm drifting I normally use 1/4 oz casting sinkers for slow drifts 1/2 for faster or deep water
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/16 11:25:23 (permalink)
     The Lindy Rig was another that produced well. My son does ok with a drop shot but he prefers rippin' crank baits. Me I'll take the old snuff can any day (relaxing) 

crappy
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/16 13:42:51 (permalink)
    BTDT may I suggest small dynamite loads ! Just make sure your hands are dry wouldn't want you to drop one in the boat ! 
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/17 19:07:34 (permalink)
    A grappling hook w/meat
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/17 19:41:03 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    BTDT may I suggest small dynamite loads ! Just make sure your hands are dry wouldn't want you to drop one in the boat ! 

old dog
    better yet, send me your boat and tackle and i'll set you up with bocce lessons. :) 

Gee what great fellers yinz are, full of ideas and so willing to share...........  excuse me, I think I feel a tear.
    Heck Captain, I thought you was going to suggest you were buying dinner at Carini's Friday evening.  I see how ya are!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/17 20:25:17 (permalink)
    old dog
    mine was a bona fide and good will offer.  rather than get frustrated i was trying to find something that you could be happy doing. :)

Bocce balls for boat and tackle, what a deal.......................  thanks buddy!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/17 21:14:05 (permalink)
    Carini's ! Your making me hungry ,BTDT  but I won't be ordering fish. Had a mess of deep fried Walleye twice this week at home. Ahhhh.... maybe some Golden Ranch wings !
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pymatuning "drifting"...what to use? 2016/05/17 22:34:01 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Carini's ! Your making me hungry ,BTDT  but I won't be ordering fish. Had a mess of deep fried Walleye twice this week at home. Ahhhh.... maybe some Golden Ranch wings !

Walleye and cakes from Crappie for me this week, but Carinis stopped selling my baby backs....... Dam!! 

But I know where I can get some mighty fine Omelets for breakfast; If I could just get my butt outta bed in time!

Jump to: