Brother is visiting, anyone have ice?

Author
hockeypat27
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2016/02/22 10:45:10 (permalink)

Brother is visiting, anyone have ice?

My brother is driving in from out of town to ice fish. The tournament at PI got cancelled today. Does anyone have ice left? I'm curious about Canadohta Lake...all area lakes are open for discussion! Let me know! -newbie

15 Replies Related Threads

hockeypat27
    New Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/22 10:54:19 (permalink)
    We want to fish on Sunday the 28th. Thanks!
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/23 08:32:33 (permalink)
    hocheypat27,  None like hard water fishing more than I. However I am done for the year. It is just not worth the risk. All area lakes are iffy. You would have to go much farther north for good ice. I have heard of fishermen going through at almost all local lakes. It is just not worth it.

If you are determined join IceShanty.com , and you will have access to reports from local lakes.
      Above all be safe, and remember when ice is thin and of poor quality an hour of sun and or warm temps can make it dangerous.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/23 10:04:06 (permalink)
    Well said Treesparrow, well said.

Hockey, I don't know where you are coming from, but you may wish to check out the shorelines at Shenango to do some fishing.  There is plenty of access to some great fishing areas and Shenango can produce some mighty fine pan fish.

If Chauncy or Captain Hook see your request they would most likely be happy to help you with any questions on where, what, and, how.

Good luck and stay tuned to your thread.

PS. I would be more than happy to give you some sound advice but, I assuming you would like to catch and not just go fishing.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/23 10:10:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/23 10:45:42 (permalink)
    John, sorry but i wont be any help at this time. I haven't been near the lake since christmas eve. I missed the whole icefishing season due to an illness. Getting better but not there yet.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/25 17:00:59 (permalink)
    chauncy, My best wishes for your recovery, spring crappy getting close. That alone should kindle fast recovery.
    Pauleye60
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/25 17:33:29 (permalink)
    I visit this site at least twice a day. I rarely post anything because I rarely fish anymore. I was diagnosed with COPD, a degenerative lung ailment. I sold my boat and my best fishing buddies (my DAD and John P.) have passed away. So I read the posts here and sit back and remember days on the water catching walleyes from the Allegheny. The posts I enjoy reading the most are from Chauncy, Captain Hook, BeenThereDoneThat and others who fish SW PA. So Chauncy, get well soon so I can fish with you, at least in my mind.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/25 19:53:51 (permalink)
    Dang Paul that just ain't right, mind if I ask what part of PA. you call home?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 12:55:02 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Getting better by the day. I'll be walking the shorelines by next week, looking for that crappie and perch bite. Might even take some minnows with me. See you guys out there. I'll post reports when I can.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 13:12:23 (permalink)
    Thanks' Paul , glad you enjoy the conversations , posts , and pictures. I like to post a lot of photos of local scenery , and fish ( when I get a few ) . Hope they keep good memories going for you.

Early morning Summer on the Allegheny
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/02/26 17:37:18
    Pauleye60
    New Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 17:56:16 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat - I live in Springdale, a couple of miles north of Lock 3 on the Allegheny. I'm 67 years old and spent 36 years in the mines which I think caused my breathing problems. I fished every chance I could and caught plenty of sauger and walleyes fishing off the wall at Lock 3 using Mr. Twisters (not permitted on the wall anymore). Also caught them at the mouths of a couple of streams that enter the river. I still fish a little when I'm feeling pretty good and when its easy getting to the water. I sure do miss it when I could climb down the rocks below all 9 locks on the river or got the boat in close to the dams both day and night. But most of all I miss fishing with Dad, John and other friends. Yesterday when I posted my reply, I forgot to mention Porktown (sorry bout that). I'm sure his posts as well as the ones from members I named have helped many guys find the right stuff!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 18:12:47 (permalink)
    Have had COPD for a few years now-am 68- carry the inhalers and keep on keepin on.
    Aint like it used to be but gonna keep hunting and fishing no matter what-till they throw dirt on me.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 18:56:18 (permalink)
    OK Paul, was just wondering if ya might live between me and the lakes in my little piece of Penn's Woods.  Always a seat open for fellow ole timers.

No doubt in my mind you have complications from working the mines, hope there is assistance to help you cope with the problem and make life easier for you.

Atta boy r3g3, give em hell buddy.  When my number is up, I hope they have to look for me.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 20:17:06 (permalink)
    Man I got to say one thing it takes special people to work underground !  I always said of all jobs that are under paid I would put underground mining at the top of the list. You guys deserve probably 3 times what you earned. I spent several months in a similar situation working underground in a steel mill and it was not fun. Worked in an old steam boiler plant that ran on coal . Dark , wet , and coal smells like pure sulfur after burning. Couldn't stand straight up in the tunnel because the ceiling above was too low with pipes and low beams. No doubt coal dust is as bad as it gets for your lungs too. I would go home wore out, and wash my hair 3-4 times trying to get that sulfur smell out and still I could smell it . It was the worse job I ever had, thank God it was short term.
    Here's a few I had from down that way years ago . I didn't do any good. Not sure what number lock.... went with a buddy from there.  #7 or #8 maybe ?  Maybe you were in that boat ? LOL...

That's us on the shore fishing

I know we are off subject but I think we all know there is no safe ice around here now............
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/02/26 20:22:01
    Pauleye60
    New Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/26 22:36:29 (permalink)
    I don't regret for 1 minute anything I had to do for my Family. So I went to work, strapped on a pair of knee pads (the working height in the mines was 38 to 44 inches), grabbed my light and away we went. I made a good living working underground and made good Friends. Now I'm hoping to make some new Friends, maybe even some new fishing buddies. I still drive and I'm not on oxygen yet. I still have rods, reels, plugs, jigs, harnesses, and soft plastic. All I need is for someone to say lets go. I thank you BeenThereDoneThat for the thought and hope I can get out with you come spring when the walleyes are chasing harnesses and pounding jigs. I'll be ready. Let me know if you're willing come May. Thanks again to you all for allowing me to daydream while reading your posts! By the way the last picture looks like Lock 7. The lock at 8 is on the other side of the river.
    Paul
    post edited by Pauleye60 - 2016/02/26 22:39:21
    hockeypat27
    New Angler
    Re: Brother is visiting, anyone have ice? 2016/02/27 11:22:06 (permalink)
    Been there, I'd like to check out Shenango. Where is it? The river? Thanks again.
    Jump to: