where do the fish go?

Author
fishermandeluxe
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/16 11:27:58 (permalink)

where do the fish go?

I was a long time user/abuser of this site, but left for a while. Now i'm back.
My question is where the fish go in winter. I live in Clearfield on the banks of the west branch, it's 2 blocks from my house. So i get to know the river pretty good. In the warmer months i can find fish at will, there will be carp swimming up and down in schools and alone. rock bass, smallies, perch, trout, and a pickerel or two. where i fish at is 8-10 ft deep in a river that in most places you can wade and not get your pants wet, has a small spring coming down out of the mountain, works great in the summer as trout stack up just like on trout run in erie.
 it's now winter and i haven't seen a fish or caught one since 10-14-2015. this is not the first time i've seen this as it seems to happen every year.
 My theories are 1. for last 2 years we've been getting alot of rain in bunches, where it slows before the lowhead dam,below where i fish, fills up with sediment. where once was cobble is now grit.
                        2.if it's winter and the water temp is in the high 30's where i fish should be the place to go, deep and with a spring to provide warmer water. 
 anybody have anything?

4 Replies Related Threads

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    Re: where do the fish go? 2015/12/22 23:59:36 (permalink)
    fishermandeluxe
     I was a long time user/abuser of this site, but left for a while. Now i'm back.
    My question is where the fish go in winter. I live in Clearfield on the banks of the west branch, it's 2 blocks from my house. So i get to know the river pretty good. In the warmer months i can find fish at will, there will be carp swimming up and down in schools and alone. rock bass, smallies, perch, trout, and a pickerel or two. where i fish at is 8-10 ft deep in a river that in most places you can wade and not get your pants wet, has a small spring coming down out of the mountain, works great in the summer as trout stack up just like on trout run in erie.
     it's now winter and i haven't seen a fish or caught one since 10-14-2015. this is not the first time i've seen this as it seems to happen every year.
     My theories are 1. for last 2 years we've been getting alot of rain in bunches, where it slows before the lowhead dam,below where i fish, fills up with sediment. where once was cobble is now grit.
                            2.if it's winter and the water temp is in the high 30's where i fish should be the place to go, deep and with a spring to provide warmer water. 
     anybody have anything?

Florida.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: where do the fish go? 2015/12/23 13:32:32 (permalink)
    Sounds like if its 8 to 10 thats getting a little shallow for the warmer fish.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: where do the fish go? 2015/12/25 12:11:18 (permalink)
    They're on their way back!! Too cold down south!
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: where do the fish go? 2016/01/20 18:22:52 (permalink)
    They usually head for deeper water.  Just because you're not catching them though doesn't mean they aren't there.  Warmwater fish like bass/carp will probably hold tight to the bottom and become inactive. 
    Jump to: