REGULATIONS ON OAK

Author
Mariosteam
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/30 11:01:27 (permalink)

REGULATIONS ON OAK

CAN SOMONE ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY SPECIAL REGUALTIONS TO FISHING OAK ORCHARD COMPARED TO SOME OF THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE SALMON RIVER. FOR INSTANCE IF I WOULD USE 15LB LINE ON MY SPINNING ROD AND USED A BARREL SWIVEL AND FISHED 8LB ON THE BOTTOM DO YOU HAVE TO USE LESS THAN 4 FT OF LINE AND IF NOT ITS A FINE? OR YOUR SPLIT SHOT HAS TO BE A FOOT AWAY FROM THE HOOK OR YOU CANT USE SPLIT SHOTS AT ALL. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, I'M JUST A LITTLE CONFUSED AND/OR HESSITANT BC I WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AND CATCH FISH WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING A FINE!  TY ZACK

5 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: REGULATIONS ON OAK 2015/09/30 22:27:29 (permalink)
    Not seeing any response to your question so, I thought I'd toss this link in your direction.http://www.dec.ny.gov/doc...e_pdf/pfroakorchrv.pdf  I have no idea if it has the answers your looking for but, it may be a starting point.

Good luck.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: REGULATIONS ON OAK 2015/10/09 06:10:08 (permalink)
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31423.html

SPECIAL REGULATIONS FOR LAKE ONTARIO TRIBUTARIES EXCEPT THE LOWER NIAGARA RIVER AND SALMON RIVER

Note: See Lower Niagara River or Salmon River regulations for special regulations that apply to those waters.

Lake Ontario Tributaries with Seasonal Closures

Little Sandy Creek (Oswego County): Fishing is prohibited from March 16 through the first Saturday in May from the State Route 3 bridge downstream 850 feet to the intersection of the channelized area and upstream 1.0 miles from the bridge to the Public Fishing Rights section.

Sections of Lake Ontario Tributaries Subject to Seasonal (Sept. 1 to Mar. 31) Regulations

The following tributary sections are subject to seasonal fishing regulations described below during the period September 1 to March 31:
    Lake Ontario Tributaries with Seasonal Regulations
    Water                         County     Portion of Tributary Subject to Seasonal Regulations
    Eighteenmile Creek      Niagara    From the Route 18 bridge upstream to Burt Dam
    Oak Orchard Creek      Orleans     From the power lines that are 1.9 miles upstream (south) of Route 18 bridge upstream to Waterport Dam
    Genesee River             Monroe     From the State Routte 104 Bridge upstream to the Lower Falls
    Sterling Creek             Cayuga     From Old State Road to impassable barrier upstream of Route 104A
    Sterling Valley Creek   Cayuga     From McIntyre Road to impassable barrier upstream of Route 104A Oswego River              Oswego    From the Utica Street bridge upstream to the Varick Dam
    Catfish Creek              Oswego     From the mouth upstream to dam at County Route 1
    Black River                  Jefferson   From the upstream tip of the lowermost island to Mill Street dam in Watertown
    All other tributaries       All            From the bridge closest to the mouth upstream to first barrier impassable by fish

Lake Ontario Waters and Tributaries Exempted from Seasonal Tributary Regulations

The following regulations apply except those listed in the table below:
    Lake Ontario Tributaries Exempted From Seasonal Tributary RegulationsWaterCountyApplicable RegulationsNiagara RiverErie & NiagaraUpper Niagara River or Lower Niagara River regulations applyRound Pond, Buck Pond, Long Pond, Cranberry Pond, and Irondequoit BayMonroeLake Ontario regulations applySodus BayWayneLake Ontario regulations applySouth Sandy PondOswegoLake Ontario regulations apply

Lake Ontario Tributary Seasonal Fishing Regulations

Fishing Hours
    Fishing from one-half hour after sunset to onehalf hour before sunrise is prohibited except in the Black River (Jefferson County) from Lake Ontario upstream to the Route 180 bridge in Dexter, where fishing is permitted at all times.
    Hook, Leader and Weight Regulations
    Hooks
    Only one hook with a single hook point is permitted, except as outlined below for floating lures and artificial flies.
    • Hooks attached to any lure must be freeswinging, except on an artificial fly.
    • An artificial fly may not have more than two hook points.
    • The gap between a hook's shaft and point cannot exceed one-half inch.
    • Use of hooks with added weight is prohibited, except that artificial flies and jigs weighing no more than one-eighth ounce are permitted.
    Floating Lures
    • A floating lure is a lure that floats at rest in water with or without any weight attached to the lure, leader or line.
    • Can have multiple treble hooks.
    • Any hooks on a floating lure must be attached to the lure by a ring or swivel except for artificial flies.
    • The distance between the body of a floating lure and the points of any attached hooks shall not exceed one and one-half inches.
    Leaders and Weights
    • The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet.
    • Any weight added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure shall not hang lower than the hook when the line or leader is held vertically.
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/09 06:18:20
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3412
    Re: REGULATIONS ON OAK 2015/10/10 17:12:49 (permalink)
  • Any weight added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure shall not hang lower than the hook when the line or leader is held vertically.

This drives me insane. Classic tightliner setup. Big red octopus 1/0 with a half ounce of lead below it. Love when I point out that this is nothing but a snaggr rig and the user looks at us like wer the ones in the wrong.

Good post. Very informative for guys that arent sure of regs.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: REGULATIONS ON OAK 2015/10/24 12:23:18 (permalink)
    Just cut and paste from the DEC Website.  Lots of good information there for newbies to the tribs
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3412
    Re: REGULATIONS ON OAK 2016/08/31 15:13:59 (permalink)
    Jump to: