Author
kalninm
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points: 0
2015/04/02 14:57:09 (permalink)

Smallies in Central NY

Hi all,
First post here in a while.  I recently got a job in Cortland NY and will be moving there in late May/ early June.  I've been there plenty of time but I have a few questions.  First off, I am NOT asking for any spots or anything like that I just want a nudge in the right direction.  I love exploring new places to fish but I need somewhere to start.  Below are a few simple questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.
-Within 45 minutes to an hour from Cortland what is the best smallmouth river/stream fishery for smallies in the 3-4 pound range and a chance at one in the 5's?
-Excluding the finger lakes, what pond/lake within 45 minutes to an hour from Cortland has the best chances for a big (throphy) smallmouth?
-Lastly, I'm looking into a small boat.  For the area which would be best, kayak, small canoe with a trolling motor, or a pond prowler type boat with a trolling motor?

I am a smallmouth addict and I know I'll be in the heart of some big smallmouth territory but I need something to go off of to start.  Also I will be hitting up the finger lakes, but that will most likely be a rare occurance since I will have a pretty small boat.

Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Smallies in Central NY 2015/06/03 17:42:26 (permalink)
    It has been a long time since I lived down there, but the Susquehanna in and around Binghamton and the Chenango upstream from there were as good as river smallmouth fishing gets.  I recall one afternoon in Vestal getting a 19" followed one cast later by an 18".  A little more than 45 minutes, but the Nichols hole along 17 was reputed to be the best bass hole in the river back then.  As far as I knew, the Finger Lakes is the Smallmouth game for lakes and ponds. 
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Smallies in Central NY 2015/09/01 07:40:09 (permalink)
    YOU are welcome.
    Jump to: