Beginner question

Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/06 04:23:57 (permalink)

Beginner question

Iv got the basics down to tying but it's time to get serious . I'm still searching for my passions in life. Be it that I'm young (22) I still have have plenty of time to find them. There is however the outdoors that seems to be the only true thing of bliss for me. In my short years the memories of hunting and fishing are the ones that stick. Which leads me to my question. Specific to the season I'm curious as to some patterns that are essential to catch steelhead . I know theres your egg patterns and whatnot but I'm looking for go to ties. In recent years my dad has used my crappy buggers and sucker spawn to some success but I'm looking for different yet simple . The only thing better then hooking into steel on my fly rod would be hooking them on my own hand ties . Just gets me fired up knowing what's ahead. I'm kinda vague on what I'm asking I suppose so I'll make a list.

1. Patterns and the materials to get me started
2. Maybe keep it simple? Idk I know the basics on fly tying and such but what my main goal is trying to find a confidence to tie more. A lot of days of tying have ended in frustration Cuz of biting off more than I can chew. I know what will become of my tying will be so rewarding just need a start to gain confidence . A push in the right direction .

Anything else I have to say is just jumbled thoughts. I do a lot more reading in these forums than posting but I can honestly say the individuals of the site way out beat the overall attitude that can sometimes come across. A lot of you guys particularly ones that frequent this sub forum drive my interest in hunting and fishing. To read some posts and actually feel in some instances how passionate you guys are it can't be put into words. Except that I want it . I wanna be a master of the craft so to say and I feel this will be a great start.

6 Replies Related Threads

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/06 07:04:50 (permalink)
    Really all you need for Erie steelhead is:
    a couple egg patterns in 3 or 4 different colors- dark pink, light pink, chartreuse, Oregon cheese, size 10, 12
    a couple buggers- black, white, size 8, 10
    a streamer, triple threat style, size 8, 10 with small or extra small cone
    a dark colored nymph of some sort, size 10, 12
    these are all easy flies to tie. Lots of info in the tutorial section of this forum for tying local, popular steelhead flies. This should give you a good start. Fun tying flies.  Good luck.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/06 07:26:42 (permalink)
    Realize also that this thing called steelhead fishing did not originate in the Great Lakes, and that there is a huge fly fishing tradition going back over 100 years on the West Coast, and if you are really interested in tying flies, rather than cranking out the bait du jour, that is the well spring you need to plumb.  Steelhead Flies and Fly Fishing by Trey Combs (the Frank Amato Publishing paperback) is a great place to start.  Hundreds of patterns and great text, including data on top sellers in varying markets (flies don't keep spots in the bins just because they are pretty).  As a bonus, you will then have something other than the standard GL litany of egg, bugger, streamer, nymph, and there are days when the different pattern is the key, especially on stale, dour fish, unless, of course, you are just flossing anyway.

L13  
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/18 19:56:29 (permalink)
    As an addition, there is a lot to be said for Plum Bob's 4, they will catch a lot of fish anywhere you go, but it is always nice to have a "secret weapon,"  and some of the west coast ties do very well for that.

L13
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/19 09:43:05 (permalink)
    West coast ties, intruders, scandi tubes, wound maribous, hair wings etc. do catch fish around here & throughout the great lakes. I tie lots of tubes, cone head weighted, medium or small cone. Couple that I like, green butt skunk, black/ green butt, long winged streamer style & an emerald shiner tube scandi style, white/gray/black. Flies are fairly small usually about 2 1/2". Rabbit strip flies are very good also, black/orange cone, white/nickel cone to mention a couple, all tubes tied with a bit of pearl flash in the wing. Just a few that I like.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/19 09:55:22 (permalink)
    Dang............  you lost me back at the intruders. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Beginner question 2014/11/20 08:33:14 (permalink)
    Run a search on each unknown fly type, you will be surprised at how much is out there.

L13
    Jump to: