Helpful ReplyNew to Board

Author
Redneck Tourist
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points: 0
2014/02/16 17:34:28 (permalink)

New to Board

Hi everyone. New to the boards here. Just stumbled across while I was suffering from a bit of cabin fever due to snow, low temps, and more snow. Looking forward to spring! I've been a local trout fisherman here for many years. This year I am planning to finally make a trip to Erie to try for Steelhead.....probably in November. I've been reading up on it and gathering up some gear. Any tips for a Steelhead greenhorn?
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: New to Board 2014/02/20 19:24:24 (permalink)
maybe try the fish erie board at the top of pennsylvania boards . a lot of useful tips from the regulars to this type of fishing. Welcome to the boards
Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: New to Board 2014/02/20 21:28:18 (permalink)
At one time there were a few good threads floating around. But starting here can't hurt. Good luck.

http://dharmaofthedrift.b...shing-primer-part.html
Redneck Tourist
New Angler
Re: New to Board 2014/02/21 07:32:56 (permalink)
rmcmillen09
maybe try the fish erie board at the top of pennsylvania boards . a lot of useful tips from the regulars to this type of fishing. Welcome to the boards

Thanks! I'll definately be checking it out.

Big Steve
At one time there were a few good threads floating around. But starting here can't hurt. Good luck.

http://dharmaofthedrift.b...shing-primer-part.html

Thank you! Yes I did find that article and enjoyed reading it. It is very informative and well written, even though the later several installments are dealing with fly fishing and I am planning to use spinning gear. After reading it, I am picturing the fishing there being along the lines of my local stream here on the 1st day of trout season or during the trout derby, as far as it being crowded. If I prepare myself for the worst, maybe I won't be as shocked.....lol.
shmoe
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: New to Board 2014/02/21 07:49:16 (permalink)
Check out the maps on fisherie. You can find places without a lot of people. Have fun!
munster
New Angler
Re: New to Board 2014/02/21 08:08:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Big Steve 2014/02/21 08:31:36
If you look at fishing for steelhead the same as normal trout on the first day you'll be good. You're usually never alone on the creek. There's alot of helpful people on this forum and on the creek as well.
Redneck Tourist
New Angler
Re: New to Board 2014/02/25 19:31:34 (permalink)
shmoe
Check out the maps on fisherie. You can find places without a lot of people. Have fun!

Thanks I'll check it out. Being a 1st timer there, I wonder if I'm better off to try to catch fish in a spot with few or no other fishermen, or in a busier spot?

munster
If you look at fishing for steelhead the same as normal trout on the first day you'll be good. You're usually never alone on the creek. There's alot of helpful people on this forum and on the creek as well.

Yes much appreciated. I've had my fair share of crowded 1st days trout fishing. I've found that theres 2 things that can make a trip memorable either in a positive or negative way: fish and other fishermen.
Jump to: