Opinions-Dock fishing

Author
CatchinPABass
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/03 20:25:21 (permalink)

Opinions-Dock fishing

Any one else kind of find it rediculous that its unlawful to fish boat docks from your boat?  I mean as a bass fisherman, If I fish docks I move from dock to dock, so it isn't like Im blocking the boater and/or his dock from coming in to or leaving the dock.  If people are wanting to leave or come in to the dock, you should have enough common courtisy to move out of there way for the docks intended purpose.  Docks provide some of the greatest fishing areas/habitat for fish.  I don't feel like Im destroying or damaging a dock owners property by fishing their dock.  I know theres the excuses of hooking some ones boat cover and ripping it or dinging lures off of boats, but lets face it a plastic worm, bobber, little weights, etc. isn't going to damage a pontoon boat vrs. something with more weight and force.  Its kind of ironic of how they can fish off their docks, but the public is pointed the finger of shame at if they fish a dock.  Seems unfair.  Like I said, I think some of PA's laws are just dumb but of course they wont be changed.  This is all in my opinion and feel free to put yours on here.  Please, no arguments over this guys!  Thanks. 

17 Replies Related Threads

genslers
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/03 21:16:44 (permalink)
    I agree with coldfront. I dock my boat and although some anglers have enough common sense and skill to not have their lures close enough to do any damage. The fact of the matter is that there are more ignorant people without the cooth or skill needed to do this type of fishing. 

Once you go topwater Bassin' you'll never go back!!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 07:51:10 (permalink)
    Not sure that I am aware of this law... Is this statewide? Where is this posted.  I fish a ton of lakes in many states and dock fishing is generally accepted and I have never had a problem.  I know of a few private lakes that landowner associations control and even a couple public ones with state docks, where this is a rule, but those are the exception.  Can someone post the exact law and where to find it?  Thanks

post edited by griffon - 2013/04/04 08:08:04
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 09:27:11 (permalink)
    I'm not aware of any rule or law, other than a few years ago the State added a clause when issuing tournament permits that fishing in marinas or around docked/moored boats was prohibited during the tournament. I know this language was added to bass tournament permits but not sure if similar language was added to other tournaments like crappie, walleye, etc.

If I'm out just fishing for fun, I'm not aware of any law that prohibits me from fishing around a dock other than some marinas are closed to fishing in general. While the dock owner may own the dock and pay the fee to place the dock in the water, they don't own the water around or under the dock.

I've had some interesting interactions with dock owners over the years. Some are very tolerant and friendly. Some get downright hostile and possessive of the water around the dock.

If you are skilled in boat control, casting, skipping, etc. you can pick apart a dock without causing damage. Unfortuately some seem comfortable smashing a 1/2 oz. jig against someone's property without regard.

Chug

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 09:34:34 (permalink)
    There is a sign by the motor boat club docks that say no fishing allowed around the docks from shore but you can fish it in your boat.

CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 09:58:19 (permalink)
    I myself am not aware of any rules or laws.  I fish the bass tournaments and the rules do state no dock fishing.  However, I have had run-ins where guys threaten to call the game warden on me for fishing docks.  I have also been told by numerous fisherman that it is unlaw to fish docks in any way in the state of PA.  I've heard that they will stick you big time and fine you on Pymie and that dock fishing is NOT tolerated on the lake.  Im not sure if this is set in stone in a law or not.  I'd like to find a law myself.  I do agree they don't own the water and smashing lures into their boat isn't really polite.  However, if an angler has enough skills to fish docks why not.  Its not like Im targeting my cast at their boat or dock, its around the general area.  Other states dont mind dock fishing.  Some of PA's laws are just stupid to me vrs. other states.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:07:20 (permalink)
    I dont believe there is any law in pa that says your not allowed to fish a dock
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:08:52 (permalink)
    They don't own the water can't be a law. Same as ice fishing you can fish anywhere around the dock as long as you stay on the ice and not the dock. They can own the land around, they can own the dock ,not the water. This is on public lakes not private. This I was told by a fish commish warden a few years back.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2013/04/04 10:15:46
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9698
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:18:46 (permalink)
    At the marina that I kept my boat a few years back, the owner was very adamant about not fishing from or around the docks.  He claimed that fishing line has destroyed more motors than anything else.  It gets wrapped around the propeller shaft, and cuts into the gasket, allowing water in.  Every time that I have replaced propellers, there has always been fishing line there, but haven't had any issues with leaking gaskets or even noticed any wear from the line.  I am rather sure the fishing line on mine was from me or someone in my boat, and not a dock fisherman though.  I can't say that I believe his severity of it, but certainly see the argument.  Especially if someone snags a braided line and had to break off, eventually some might get caught up in their shaft.  I'm sure that could do some damage.  That said, about the same probability of running into loose line around the lake/river...  Not really fair to them, especially if they are not anglers, and just pleasure boaters, or anglers that don't do the same to others.  To me, there are more than enough other sources of fish holding structure in just about any body of water to feel the need to fish a private dock, even if I don't fully believe in the logic.  I do find fishing shows that are constantly doing this to be rather shady, promoting a somewhat controversial technique.
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:29:42 (permalink)
    I fish docks at Pymy all the time without an issue. I don't do it in a tournament because it is usually prohibited in the rules because of the language in the permit.

On other lakes, I've had dock owners threaten to call the PAFBC on me for fishing their "property" and I, as nicely as possible, invite them to do so because they don't own the water around the dock. I inform them I pay my taxes and possess a valid fishing license so I am fishing legaly on public waters. They usually pretend to write down my boat registration number while I am smiling at them.

I've witnessed dock owners sitting on their docks with water hoses to discourage guys from fishing them. That can lead to an interesting "test of wills".
    I've seen some docks that were "boobie trapped" with fishing line, nets, etc. strung under them to discourage guys from casting in there. That is usually a recipe for disaster and conflict.

The majority of time if a dock owner is in the vicinity of their dock, if I strike up a conversation before I start fishing it, I don't encounter any conflict.

Chug

wetboot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:30:01 (permalink)
    i agree with captain hook
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:49:59 (permalink)
    Glad Im not the only one that feels the way I do about dock fishing.  I agree with alot of you.  Glad people can relate to those crazy idiots that think they own everything and threaten to put you in danger.  I am deff going to look into this deeper when I go over to Pymie and stop in at the DCNR office and see what they say.  Rather be safe then sorry!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 10:53:49 (permalink)
    Nature of the beast Pork. If you boat on a fishing lake loose fishing line will always be a factor to all anywhere. Still can't see how legally the boat dock owner can stop people from fishing open water. He may be treading on legal action against himself ! With digital cameras and videos today he had better know the laws . This applies to boaters as well.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2013/04/04 12:53:46
    Jefff
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/04 16:57:23 (permalink)
    This reminds me of the movie Supertroopers....

"Nobody owns the water man, its God's water" lol

But ya I had no idea about this law (if it exists), nor do I see it anywhere in the fishing regs. Just be careful and respectful and you shouldn't ever have any issues. 

Practice CPR: Catch, Photo, Release 
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Opinions-Dock fishing 2013/04/08 19:02:06 (permalink)
    Captain Hook's post sounds quite reasonable; "They don't own the water, can't be a law". I was under the impression that the reason for not fishing from docks is because of the fishing line fouling motors as Porktown had mentioned in his post.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Opinions-Dock fishing 2015/10/19 13:08:52 (permalink)
    Thought that I'd necro this oldie, since it is interesting and some of the posters are still active on the board.  Seems that while the fish commission doesn't prohibit dock fishing outside of not being allowed to interfere with boats:

Boats have the right of way over fishing from boat launch areas or boat docks. It is unlawful for persons fishing from a boat launch area or boat dock to permit their fishing activity to interfere with boat traffic into and out of the boat launch area or boat dock.

At Arthur, the DNR prohibits dock fishing:

Fishing is prohibited in these areas:
    • From boat docks, launching or mooring areas, or within 100 feet of these areas.
    • Anywhere in the marina cove at Davis Hollow and the Crescent Bay Marina docks.
    • In the Game Propagation Area.
    • Off of the bridges.
    • Within 100 feet of the beaches.
    • Where posted no fishing.
    This doesn't stop people from doing it, especially cast netters (protip: throwing a net is FISHING).  I don't mind it personally, though when I have to walk around people on a dock at night because they are set up to throw nets it is annoying.  
    andyg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re: Opinions-Dock fishing 2015/10/19 22:05:25 (permalink)
    I know it is blatantly restricted at Moraine, not restricted at ACE lakes. I'm not sure where Pymie fits in there since there is State Park land and the dam is controlled by the Army Corps. Unfortunately, very limited opportunities at Shenango. I just always go by one rule: don't try to make a cast you can't.
    post edited by andyg - 2015/10/19 22:08:02
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Opinions-Dock fishing 2015/10/25 20:09:32 (permalink)
    It's posted at the Mahaney launch on Shenango. RC's is private and it's also posted there on Shenango. The docks at Jamestown Boat livery are also private and closed to fishing from them until Nov. 1st, i believe. May be a little later but i know they open them after the boating season is over. Shenango has no homes on the water as the lake flucuates so greatly so there's no private docks outside of the marina. RC's removes the docks after boating season also but all the poles remain and you can fish around them then.
    Jump to: